cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trading Up...TV Advice?

3CampPrincesses
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! I'm back under another name because I have no access to my old email addresses! lol!

Looking for advice from those of you "in the know". A little background. It is just myself and two young girls (7 and 4)and a dog. We currently have a 2016 Jayco Pop up, that, due to health reasons, will not be able to use much longer. Thought about trading up to a hybrid, but decided a smaller-ish TT would be better for us in the long run. I had a 27 Sunline before, so I am familiar with them. I saw these at an RV show, but don't have my heart set on them:

Keystone Outback 210 URS (Ship Weight + CC= 7000lbs)
http://www.keystonerv.com/outback/#/floorplans
and
Spree Connect C231 BHS (GV 6000 lbs)
http://www.kz-rv.com/products/spree-connect-travel-trailers/C231BHS.html

As luck would have it my little Toyota Highlander is nearing the end of its lifespan, so I need a new vehicle anyway. With the TTs I'm looking at, the smaller SUVs that only tow 5,000lbs would not work.

I was looking at the Grand Cherokee, with its Tow Rating of 7200lbs, but I am concerned about the wheelbase? Would that be a safe tow with these trailers? (I can only find people who tow their boats with them).

This will be my Daily Driver as well, so I don't really want to go Pick Up. I am not to familiar with the BIG SUVs, but would like to stay on the medium size if possible....What would y'all suggest?
25 REPLIES 25

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of 4, and our crew cab with a cap is better suited to our family. Much roomier than any SUV I've been in, and tows better.

I think about the things I put in the back of our truck...sewage tote, bikes, firewood, generator (and gas for it), greasy BBQ grill, wet water toys...I wouldn't want any of those inside the SUV with me.

If you're only going to tow close to home and a few weekends a year, sure...go SUV. If you're going to travel with the trailer go AT LEAST half ton.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I firmly believe a large SUV is very suitable for towing and still allows for more than 4 passengers. But paying attention to capacities is really important. The limits to look at first is the cargo carrying capacity and max hitch weight with a WDH(weight distrib hitch). These 2 capacities will usually determine the max weights of the TT you should get.
On longer trips, I really like to bring along my niece and her 2 kids about the same age as mine. I couldn't do that with a pickup.
The downside of a large SUV for daily driving is the cost. I pretty much keep storage insurance on mine until I need it for a trip. I love driving it and sometimes I just go out to the polebarn and visit it. Only 35 more days until spring.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
3CampPrincesses wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I definitely need something larger, I think. Yeah, I looked a little over the weekend, and I am leaning toward a Tahoe/ Suburban. The extra storage space in the rear may put the 'burban on top!

I really liked the Expedition (the third row seat is more user friendly), but the guy at the dealership kept calling the "Dinosaurs" and telling me that Ford was not putting much into them these days.....

I'm not a Ford guy but don't count out the Expedition and expe XL. They're towing machines especially with the Eco. Pulled a 32? Ft enclosed car hauler back fromAK with a XL Eco. Trailer was not loaded heavy, maybe 8-9klb total weight. Towed beautifully down the Alcan. Only issue was a boulder came down off the side of the mtn and smacked the back corner of the trailer! If it had a turd for an engine, the rock may have KOd the truck or center punched the trailer. By the time I saw the rock, it was to late to do anything but floor it and try to get past it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3CampPrincesses
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I definitely need something larger, I think. Yeah, I looked a little over the weekend, and I am leaning toward a Tahoe/ Suburban. The extra storage space in the rear may put the 'burban on top!

I really liked the Expedition (the third row seat is more user friendly), but the guy at the dealership kept calling the "Dinosaurs" and telling me that Ford was not putting much into them these days.....

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend the Suburban/Yukon XL as the best towing SUV currently on sale. Body-on-frame, solid rear axle, a V8, hefty curb weight, and a long stable wheelbase.

For more "medium size", the Tahoe and Yukon offer all of the above benefits with the exception of the long wheelbase.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a similar size trailer with a midsize SUV rated for 7,000 lbs. It does it, and has for many years, but I'm definitely over my payload (tongue weight+WDH+people+stuff in vehicle) and my kids are 2&4, so they have lots of growing to do.

For this reason alone I'd say you should look at full size SUV's only (since you've ruled out pickups). Especially when you are towing with your most precious assets in the vehicle with you. If you only tow 10 miles down the road to your local state park, then you can get along with the Jeep GC, but I personally don't like to be limited on distance due to an inadequate tow vehicle.

RoyBell has it right, tow ratings really should be viewed carefully, the #1 item to look at is TV payload capacity, which you'll run short on long before max trailer weight when pulling RV's.

Hope the medical issues are manageable, but glad to see you getting out there with the kids.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Elbert
Explorer
Explorer
there a number of half ton SUV's on the market...for GM...Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon come to mind...good trucks for towing light trailers.

Always stay within the tow rating of your vehicle..

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
There's more than just tow ratings to look at. You need to look at GVWR and Axle capacities. Most SUVS will NOT be able to tow a 7000 lb trailer even if they are rated at 7K lbs. Their payloads just can't handle it.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Met a guy at an RV show last weekend who pulls a 28' TT with a Nissan Armada, he said he absolutely loves it and was shocked at the amount of power he had the first time he hauled his camper.

There are about 10,000 threads here on towing capacity / GVWR / etc. but when I saw 7,000 ship weight and 7,200 tow rating (Jeep) alarm bells went off. My moto now is that my vehicle should be rated for 125% (towing and payload) of the yellow sticker weight + weight of all my gear and people. I sold myself short in the TV choice once and I'll never do it again. Looks like Armadas are rated up to 9,000 lbs, that would be a better fit for the 7,000 TT. Just my opinion and you know what they say about those :B

Good Luck!
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
GC will work I think . I think with 2 kids I would look at an armada,expedition,tahoe,sequios too. A full size SUV will do the job easily for those weights.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
3CampPrincesses wrote:
I am thinking about eeeking a few more years out of the Highlander and the possibility of buying a used something just for towing, but not sure I want the maintenance

I would look at the total picture before getting a dedicated tow vehicle. I considered it (actually getting a daily driver to not drive my tow vehicle daily) and just couldn't make the numbers work. By the time I compared the purchase price (used of course), tag/registration, insurance, and maintenance to the fuel cost savings I would get, I was much better off just driving my tow vehicle daily.

Pretty much anything you will need to get to tow that much trailer is going to be a significant change for you as a daily driver coming from a Highlander. Either a full-sized SUV or a pickup is going to require you to get used to driving a vehicle that size.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the right vehicle for you and your family.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
The short wheelbase was not a problem with our VW Touareg TDI towing a 19-20 ft TT. People on clubtouareg.com tow much longer TT's than mine was. Too bad you can't get them anymore, but the Jeep should be fine and you can still get it.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Crew cab half ton pickups over far more second row seat space, higher receiver limits, more payload, and with a $200-2000 cover for the bed the worlds largest trunk, all for $10k less than similarly equipped full sized SUVs. A Highlander is tiny compared to a crew cab pickup.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I think if your dry weights are in the 6-7K lbs you should be looking at 3/4 tons. Once loaded, you will be over 7K lbs. I am trading up this year as my Tundra is too small once loaded with passengers for my 6000lb dry weight camper. Once loaded, it's easy to be over 7K lbs. A truck full of passengers and I am over my GVWR. If you have an empty truck and small kids, you might be able to get away a 1/2 ton. I would look at the GMC with the 6.2 and max load option. Great looking truck and lots of power.