Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tires

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for new tires.
2003 Wildcat Forest River 26fbs
I see that Sams Club carries the "Greenball Transmaster" E rating
Any one have any idea about these tires?
17 REPLIES 17

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Maxxis 8008 on the trailer now, they have served me well, but they are at the end of their lives, time and wear. The Maxxis we have now are E rated. The Green balls are carried by Sams, I haven't had a chance yet to see who carries the Maxxis in this area, but will do that next. Was just trying to get a feel for the greenballs on how dependable people find them.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Additional thought....Maxxis are very popular and highly recommended here. Also, mentioned over the last 9 years as US manufactured and "wouldn't buy anything that was not US". It does seem that there is some question on that recently. And there have been a few folks that would not buy a set of Maxxis for anything, so guess it depends on who you ask. Some of those have had problems. My dear cousin and hubby tended to buy one tire at a time - usually right after a blow out and whatever was available. They did have various Carlisles and swore AT them rather than IN FAVOR of them. And, like it or not, budget does enter into the equation. Strongly suggest you do as much research as possible, get as much history from this forum and others, consider how much $$ you are able to allow for this and do the very best you can. Don't forget the pressure check religiously. Also, at the risk of starting this again, driving at a speed that tire is rated for certainly helps.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I am in the market for new tires.
2003 Wildcat Forest River 26fbs
I see that Sams Club carries the "Greenball Transmaster" E rating
Any one have any idea about these tires?

I frequent a lot of different forums that use some type of trailer.
I see the Greenball radial and bias ply ST tires cussed and praised like other ST tire brands.
Your asking for a E tire. Is that in a 15" or 16" ??

You may have more options if you can give us your trailer OEM tire size and its GVWR.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Re the Greenball Transmasters.....our '07 HTT came with them OEM. Don't know if they were ever known as Towmasters. At about the 4 year mark we started shopping and decided that since the OEM gave us perfect service, we'd go with them again. At that time, seems we had to order online, but can't swear to it. Again, nearing the 4 year mark and a long trip planned, we decided to go ahead and have the peace of mind of new tires. Lots of looking. DH called the Greenball folks and was told that the Transmasters are now sold at Sam's Club. Went with them again, took our trip and then decided to move to a TT.

FWIW, when we were shopping the second time, I posted a couple of questions and mentioned the dreaded "budget" word, since we really hadn't planned on that investment right then. There were a few members who felt the need to eat me alive for considering "budget" and that "we might as well just get the cheapest possible and weren't considering the lives of our family". Strongly suggest you don't mention that word...guess not everyone has to have one of those plans. In any event, we had totally perfect service with the 2 sets we ran 4+ years each as well as the last time we heard from the owners of our HTT, they were also 100% pleased and no problems. Seems like the price was right about $100 ea at Sam's. I would not be concerned about those tires. DH was vigilant about checking pressure and torque before every trip and daily on longer trips.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been researching tires as well. Have been told by a reputable person - not a sales guy, that says all tires are manufactured overseas. Maybe by a US company, but I have yet to find anyone including Goodyear and Maxxis that makes tires in the US.

Planning on getting a set of the Maxxis 8008's.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned previously, it is not where an object is manufactured; it is the standards to which they are held.

If as some say, all Chinese products are junk, then none of our televisions, radios, microwaves, phones, computers and 90 % of the rest of the stuff in our homes would not work.

A batch of bad tires is just that, a batch of bad tires; dozens of products are recalled every year. Are you going to stop driving GM cars because they had a bad key switch design? How about the Ford/Firestone debacle? Maybe you should stop eating chicken in case there is another bacteria out break or never touch another scoop of ice cream.

The fact is every industry has it problems from time to time, always have, and always will. It is one of the pitfall with being mere morals.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I won't use anything but Maxxis ST tires until someone makes something better. I have over close to 15 years experience with this brand and every set has performed well. Maxxis ST tires are made in Thailand.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I haven't seen a Maxxis ST tire that didn't come from Thailand.

I hear this alot but not having seen all of them I am not sure and the company is mum on this.

However having quite a bit of experience in manufacturing overseas especially in Asia I can say with certainty that while Thailand has excellent facilities and workforce, it's workforce is generally not as well educated and literate nor as motivated as China's. Thailand is on the verge of "First World" status in many ways as a developing nation But China outranks it in almost every way. The reason alot of this manufacturing is moving FROM China to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and even a little to Laos is the wages are generally quite a bit lower than in China.

I am sure Maxxis tires are good. But when I look at what the Big Rigs run as trailer tires I never see a Maxxis. Generally Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo, and so forth. But Maxxis seems to have a good rep.

knort001
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
knort001 wrote:
MAXXIS... and run from westlake, goodyear marathon china bombs ,,,just my humble ,little been there ,opinion..

Maxxis makes their tires overseas also in Asia and possibly in China but the company wont confirm this for me. Many of the big tire manufacturers manufacture in Asia and China. There is absolutely no correlation between where a product is made and it's performance. What counts is the Manufacturers specing, quality control and design.

All products will have occasional bad apples slip thru the process even those made here in the USA.

I have a set of Goodyears on my trailer that were there when I bought it used. The tread is good and the tires are in good shape. I just finished a 4600 mile trip with ZERO tire problems. Inflation never varied (I checked it before leaving at each overnight stop). These tires have been from Chicago to Minot and now to Wyoming down into Colorado over the 11 thousand foot Loveland pass to Utahs natl parks on gravel dirt and every type of asphalt road you can imagine.

NO PROBLEMS.

Get good tires from a quality manufacturer spec'ed for your rig and if possible exceed the ratings for your weight and speed. Then KEEP THEM INFLATED TO THE MAXIMUM COLD PSI. Your chances of tire issues will be greatly reduced or non exist ant.
agree with all you said, most importantly, inflation, weights,speed,. My experience was with marathon,and westlake made in china, . westlake was a spare e rated that fell apart in 2oo miles as a covered new spare, and marathons , 2 in 1 trip, with about 3000 miles on them. My maxxis 8008 e rated st tires have about 4000 miles on them, in similar terrain as you, but mostly in the heat of florida. , and as stated they were made in thailand,. but all brands certainly have qc issues, wherever made....
2005 silverado cc lwb 6.0 4:10 2007 jayco 31 bhds

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had Greenball Tow Master tires on a 9,000 pound TT that I towed for over 6 years and thousands of miles with no problems. Sold the TT and the tires still still looked nearly new
samsontdog:o:W

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
northshore, I am not familiar with that brand. I think you are headed in the right direction with E rated tires. For a minimal cost per tire, getting tires that are much heavier duty than you need is great and cheap insurance.

I think that a lot of these problems with tires involve tires that are right at the max rating of the tire. Its not poor quality in so much as it is either just barely enough tire or not enough tire.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen a Maxxis ST tire that didn't come from Thailand.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
knort001 wrote:
MAXXIS... and run from westlake, goodyear marathon china bombs ,,,just my humble ,little been there ,opinion..

Maxxis makes their tires overseas also in Asia and possibly in China but the company wont confirm this for me. Many of the big tire manufacturers manufacture in Asia and China. There is absolutely no correlation between where a product is made and it's performance. What counts is the Manufacturers specing, quality control and design.

All products will have occasional bad apples slip thru the process even those made here in the USA.

I have a set of Goodyears on my trailer that were there when I bought it used. The tread is good and the tires are in good shape. I just finished a 4600 mile trip with ZERO tire problems. Inflation never varied (I checked it before leaving at each overnight stop). These tires have been from Chicago to Minot and now to Wyoming down into Colorado over the 11 thousand foot Loveland pass to Utahs natl parks on gravel dirt and every type of asphalt road you can imagine.

NO PROBLEMS.

Get good tires from a quality manufacturer spec'ed for your rig and if possible exceed the ratings for your weight and speed. Then KEEP THEM INFLATED TO THE MAXIMUM COLD PSI. Your chances of tire issues will be greatly reduced or non exist ant.

knort001
Explorer
Explorer
2005 silverado cc lwb 6.0 4:10 2007 jayco 31 bhds