cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble finding a honest dealership to buy Ram 3500

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Been trying for weeks now to find an honest Ram dealership within 500 miles of Gatlinburg to buy a new truck. They all end up trying to con you, lie and use dishonest tactics from start to end. I end up on the phone for about an hour each time only to find the price they listed has so many loop holes that after what seems like forever they finally inform you the price is actually much higher. One dealership verified the price on the phone and insured me that was the price I would pay for it to just drive 7 hours to their dealership and simply do the deal and drive home. I demanded him email me everything in writing multiple times. After multiple request for an email he reluctantly sent it and the price jumped $6,000. Good thing I did not drive there cause I would have needed bail money once I got there. Anyone know of a no haggle honest straight forward Ram dealer within 500 miles of Gatlinburg TN? Almost to the point of giving up and keeping what I got. Thanks just needed to rant a little also!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
42 REPLIES 42

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Thanks just needed to rant a little also!

I know this is a little farther than your 500 mile range, but try Dave Smith or Dennis Dillon. Both have websites, both will pick you up at the airport (Spokane or Boise), and the price is the price. You typically will pay state registration and taxes when you get home. So, factor that into the overall price. They have huge selections and you can enjoy the new truck on the way home.

X2
I would do the same thing. Dave Smith has 3000 cars and trucks in Kellogg ID. They need to sell 1000/mo they told me.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
VernDiesel wrote:
You don’t have to buy local to get it serviced local. Sales & service operate as two seperate businesses. Service department will be happy to have you as a customer.

This has been my experience. I bought a Challenger two states away and flew to buy it. My local dealer's service dept doesn't even ask where I bought it.

True went through that before. They are not like RV dealers who can and sometimes will refuse service even warranty. Trust me had that happen before.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the incite on dealerships I will check them out! Would like to look further away but don't like the idea of a 30 hour drive home but best deal is a best deal and if they make it worth my while I will surly consider them also. Thanks all!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
VernDiesel wrote:
You don’t have to buy local to get it serviced local. Sales & service operate as two seperate businesses. Service department will be happy to have you as a customer.

This has been my experience. I bought a Challenger two states away and flew to buy it. My local dealer's service dept doesn't even ask where I bought it.

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try Craig & Landreth in Crestwood ky 502-242-6868 , only talk to Larry Craig he is the owner

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
racer4 wrote:
ulvik,

Have you tried Kernersville CDJR? They post their internet price on their website.

Kernersville Chrysler 950 NC Highway 66 South, Kernersville, NC 27284

They are about 235 miles away and have 437 Ram 3500 in stock.

I agree about Kernersville Dodge. Leith in Wake Forest is another I would shop. Leith has several makes in their chain of stores, all are highly rated.
My biggest question is do you have a good service dept in Gatlinburg? If not another brand may be a better way to go.
Puma 30RKSS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Try James O'Neil Chrysler Dodge in Breman, GA. I didn't buy a Dodge from them but our 2008 GMC 3500 four years ago. The price on the internet was great and they put 6 new tires on the truck and delivered it me in Alabama. I will be looking at them for our next truck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to upgrade to a dually and my search took me to an out of state dealer whom I found on the net. Had a truck that fit the bill and internet price was good. Told him we'd take it on condition of sale of current truck. He e-mailed me the purchase offer and price jumped 1300 bucks! Asked what's up w/ that and was told that with internet sale prices, destination/delivery charges get added to price shown. Not that I agreed with that, but overall price was still good. Our truck never got sold or bought by local dealer who said they wanted it, but at trade in price-=told him to pound salt. So sadly, the dually deal went south.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Fwiw, to the rest of the dealers' credit, at least around here, it appears most suckers, I mean customers, pay sticker price.
I've looked at a couple newer used trucks in recent years, thinking the owners asking price was just wishful thinking and showing up in person, ready to go get a bank check, would get them to drop their price significantly. But it doesn't when a person pays sticker price and a year later still owes more than a person could buy a new truck for from a high volume dealer like Dillon or Dave Smith.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Indy truck champion in ....Indianapolis gets good reviews on the cumminsforum. And so does Kernersville ? Dodge in NC I think.
I did call Dillon last year, almost bought a new truck. Seemed totally above board, no haggle, no hassle. Online price of like $11k off plus a coup,e other minor discounts.
Agree, most dealers are scuz balls though.
Bought our second brand new vehicle ever a few months ago, and second ever from a dealer, and I quickly remembered why. I would have rather punched several differnet people there and drove a Yugo than deal with those turds, but went there for a specific car with a posted deal (which btw they wouldn't budge off that price).

Good luck truck shopping.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik,

Have you tried Kernersville CDJR? They post their internet price on their website.

Kernersville Chrysler 950 NC Highway 66 South, Kernersville, NC 27284

They are about 235 miles away and have 437 Ram 3500 in stock.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
When you call Dave Smith, the price is the price. No weird one off price changes. I bought my 2006 from them new. Saved at least $12k vs local dealers. I would prefer to buy local. I did not, still don't, make $12k per day. It was worth my time.

At least call Dave Smith motors for your preferred optioned truck. See how the price compares to what your locals are offering. Costco sounds like a good idea. Still call Dave Smith. It can't hurt.

Dave Smith has changed owners since I bought mine. I've heard nothing has changed. One price. That's it. They make their money off high quantity. They don't service most of what they sell.

Bedlam
ScottG wrote:
Have a similar problem around here. One dealer, Monroe Dodge, has a terrible pack of liars and idiots in the service dept. The other, Kirkland Dodge, sell very few HD trucks and dont know much about them. Their sale staff is highly questionable as well.

The Tacoma, Seattle and Everett dealerships are not much better. There is one in the Tri Cities area that is better, but it was more convenient to buy from an Idaho dealership and I still saved money.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad