cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck 2500hd Silverado 6.0 or diesel, 6.6 or 8' bed ?

wildwood2018
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a 30" travel trailer gvwr 10000Lbs. Sold my 1500 1/2 ton 02 silverado to upgrade to a 2018 2500hd Silverado. Just would like some opinions on which Silverado to chose the 6.0 vortec or the diesel and the 6.6' or 8' bed. would appreciate any input.
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Poof, Wildwood disappeared....
If you're still listening, you should get the gasser diesel short long bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I have an older 2006 Duramax. Love it but the new ones have to run too hot and eat too much fuel for me. I was driving today and thinking GOSH! I don't use Urea, get 19 ety and 9.8 loaded at 19K. Why pay 70000 for a new one.

I have an LBZ 3500 and I get around 8-9 mpg pulling heavy. As good as that truck is and it is one of the "gold standard" engines probably ever (along with a 7.3 and some versions of the Cummins motors), I still much prefer to tow with my 18'. My mileage is no different towing between the two. However the power difference is substantial. My '18 runs cooler pulling the mnt passes than does the 06. The biggest benefit however is really the controllability at max GVW. The '18 with engine braking, much better brakes, and a better suspension make it much preferred to towing heavy than with the 06. My 06 is also tuned to engine brake with the tow haul on, but it is not near as effective as is the '18. The new ones are expensive, getting really stupid expensive in my mind, but they do provide a large increase capacity, and much better towing experience in my view. Now when your not pulling at or near the max capability of the truck, I think the advantages wont be as noticeable.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel and longbed. You will never regret it and never look back.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older 2006 Duramax. Love it but the new ones have to run too hot and eat too much fuel for me. I was driving today and thinking GOSH! I don't use Urea, get 19 ety and 9.8 loaded at 19K. Why pay 70000 for a new one.

blt2ski
Wowens,
With the 6 sp trans, you would have been in 2nd gear, probably 5 mph faster with you motor due to better gear splits. With a newer higher HP motor an additional 5mph or so.
The 4l80 trans is not a good towing transmission.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a 6.0, but it is a 2002 with the 4spd tranny, so I'm down a couple of gears, and a little HP from the new ones. It has been a very good engine, and still runs great at 213k miles.

I will say pulling my 8k lb TT that I've been down to 30mph in 1st gear in the mountains on 3 different roads. It got up the hill, but we got passed by a dumptruck :).

At 10k, I think a lot would depend on the area you tow in. We have some short steep hills in north GA, NC, and TN. If you are in flatter areas, the 6.0 will be fine. I think at your weight, you are at right at the point where you start to get into diesel territory.

Have you considered the RAM, or Ford gassers? They both have just a little more power than the 6.0, and might be worth a look.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the 6.0 and now have the Duramax. No question DURAMAX.
Good luck.

atomlinson
Explorer
Explorer
I pull with my 6.0 w/8 foot bed just fine. Very reliable engine. During our yearly haul from KY to FL I average 7.5 mpg hauling the TT with a golf cart in the bed. You may get better mpg with a diesel, but as far as dependability goes, you can't go wrong with either.
Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.0

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The only option on the 2015 and newer 6.0 HD's is with 4:10's.

I have owned both 2015 6.0 and Duramax and pulled 30K plus combined with both. I never seem to get the diesel mpg advantage others get. Pulling that weight at 5-8K feet. I would get about 5-6 mpg. I get 8-9 with an '18 Dmax and about the same with my '15 duramax.

Obviously the Dmax pulls better with much less effort. However, I didnt mind the 6.0. I put my foot in it and let it whine. That really is an incredible motor. The biggest surprise is when I traded out of it. I got great resale out of it. It cost me .18 cents a mile to own it.

I think for such a light load either would work. If you were pulling more weight it would be clear but at 10K you have more of an option. If you have the money to put into it, I would get the diesel. Standard or long box. I get the long box but I have to work out of them. The longer wheel base can help with stability, but at this light weight I dont think it matters.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
George3037 wrote:
I have a 30' TT. loaded weight is just under 10K. My TV is a 2016 2500HD 4x4 CC standard bed 6.0L, 6 spd. auto with 4.10 gears and tows it fine. If I were a full timer and traveled a lot I'd have bought the Duramax for better mileage. But for the half dozen times a year I tow the TT plus I use the truck as a daily driver I couldn't justify the added cost of the diesel package.
The 6.0 likes to eat, I get between 8-9MPG towing and 14MPG empty with a good tail wind. A previous TV was a 2006 2500HD with Dmax / allison and got 19-20 MPG empty and 14 towing a 7500# trailer. Sorry I sold that one. I don't think the new Dmaxes get that MPG. For a TT I like the standard 6'6 bed if I had a FW I'd go with 8'.

I am a diesel guy all the way. The only advantage the gasser has over the diesel is initial price. All other factors/parameters favor the diesel.
I tow regularly and prefer to do so without fear/concern of the destination. I want to be confident my truck is up to the challenge regardless of terrain,wind or other variables.
I also want a relaxing experience. I don't want to work the truck or myself in order to make it. I prefer a diesel for the towing performance.
However if you only tow a few times a year, relatively short distances. The gasser maybe the way to go.
Camping style,frequency and distance traveled are huge factors in determining which truck
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Low trim level trucks are cheaper to own than high trim level trucks, but nobody seems to bat an eye at the guy who opts for more luxury features. But for some reason there seems to be a need to justify a diesel.

They had 1500's on the lot for what we gave for our 2018 3500DRW diesel.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
I have a 30' TT. loaded weight is just under 10K. My TV is a 2016 2500HD 4x4 CC standard bed 6.0L, 6 spd. auto with 4.10 gears and tows it fine. If I were a full timer and traveled a lot I'd have bought the Duramax for better mileage. But for the half dozen times a year I tow the TT plus I use the truck as a daily driver I couldn't justify the added cost of the diesel package.
The 6.0 likes to eat, I get between 8-9MPG towing and 14MPG empty with a good tail wind. A previous TV was a 2006 2500HD with Dmax / allison and got 19-20 MPG empty and 14 towing a 7500# trailer. Sorry I sold that one. I don't think the new Dmaxes get that MPG. For a TT I like the standard 6'6 bed if I had a FW I'd go with 8'.

I have the same truck and the same experience with it. I pull a 10K gvwr trailer with mine and yes, I know its back there but I have never run out of gas pedal going up hill. The diesel will have more power but it also is more up front cost and maintenance costs too. My buddy has a Ram diesel and he pulls his 32ft. and 8k+ rig easily with it. He loves his.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Low trim level trucks are cheaper to own than high trim level trucks, but nobody seems to bat an eye at the guy who opts for more luxury features. But for some reason there seems to be a need to justify a diesel.

Bottom line is both would pull that camper, but the diesel will do it better. Cost is higher up front and maintenance is going to be a bit higher with the diesel, but you will save some on fuel and will have a more valuable truck when you are ready to trade or sell it. Financially both are expensive and poor investments. Buy the one you like better and move on down the road.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I figure to chime in, long time owner of GM 6.0 engines. I like both engines, always have, always will. The Duramax of course being a turbo charged engine will produce much more power at an expense. The gas engine will pull the same load that you have cheaper to own overall, but slower in the hills at a higher rpm. Diesel verse gas is always an argument about what's cheaper to own. For me, gas has been cheaper all the way. I use calculations and can tell u that between the new diesel trucks and gas jobs, the gas jobs are cheaper to own. Now I'm sure some will dispute this but this is my experience only. My 6.0 pulls my 10k just fine, do I like to have more power at times in the steep grades, Sure who wouldn't. My truck does very well, just wind the rpm up some and it goes... so really it's all up to what you want as a consumer, simple as that. Either will work, just comes down to overall expense. The debate on cost will always go on, but some fleets are changing back to gas due to expensive issues when diesels break or emissions equipment failures. I like diesels, always have and will, the older pre emission trucks were awesome. Newer ones got me staying away for now. It's your wallet, I would see what fits the budget and go from there. I hope this helps just lending you my experience and yes I have pulled with both engines.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.