Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper meet-up at Overland Expo, Flagstaff, May

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

This has been hinted at a few times already, but here is the official invitation.

Overland Expo 2013 is being held at Mormon Lake, near Flagstaff, AZ from May 17 to 19.

I want to organise a truck-camper meet-up at the show. Last year we attended the European equivalent of this show in Germany and as well as being a fascinating show in its own right, it was great to see and spend time with the thousands of travellers with varied campers and overland vehicles that turned up and camped. So this year I think it would be great to have a truck camper meet-up in AZ.

Unfortunately we cannot bring our little truck camper along, since it is 5000 miles and an ocean away, but Sally and I will be coming in a rental B class camper we are picking up in Denver.

I've been talking to the show organisers and they have a basic camping field (no hook-up, but being TC owners I think we can cope with that :)) for $10 per night. They said they would love to have us come with our TCs and will set aside an area especially for us :B

I've been talking to a few of you already and so I know we've got a few takers, but I'd like to know who else would like to come. I'm not saying you need to commit 100% now, but I'd like to get an idea of the numbers involved so the show organisers know what size of area to set aside for us.

Hope to see you all in May to circle the wagons and get out the barbecues,

Steve & Sally.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
110 REPLIES 110

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
seldomseensmith wrote:

And in the unlikely event the great Whazoo is indisposed due to relocation or other factors, I would be happy to offer my services as guide/trip leader to one of the MANY outstanding destinations found in the area.

Seldomseen,

That is a great offer. Your insight/knowledge of the beautiful area would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Unless my schedule doesn't change at work, we are in.
Happy TC'N,
David

TurtleBax
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Steve & Sally,

Where and from Whom are you renting your Class B in Denver?

I live far away, and would have to fly in as well.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadwolf wrote:

67avion wrote:

Steve, we are going to make it if things work out. Whazoo is also onboard. He mentioned leading a slot canyon hike at some point.

As much as I love a death defying canyon hike with the best of you, are you sure our guide is willing and available? I thought he was moving in the spring or might not be available?? I dunno, just don't want to get people's hopes up especially if they are traveling great distances.

You're absolutely right and I shouldn't have spoken out of turn. Thanks for the reminder. And thanks to Seldomseen for what appears to be a great possibility.

seldomseensmith
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve,

I won't be camping at the Expo (kind of silly since the darned thing is literally in my backyard) but I'm up for a show-up or a meet-down, or whatever. Last years event was definitely a worthwhile experience, with lots of interesting sights and sounds.

All participants, please be aware that the venue is located at about 7000 feet above sea level, and that spring weather here in Northern Arizona is notoriously fickle. Could be gorgeous, and it could be winter, or maybe even a little of both.

And in the unlikely event the great Whazoo is indisposed due to relocation or other factors, I would be happy to offer my services as guide/trip leader to one of the MANY outstanding destinations found in the area.
The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Steve, we are going to make it if things work out. Whazoo is also onboard. He mentioned leading a slot canyon hike at some point.

As much as I love a death defying canyon hike with the best of you, are you sure our guide is willing and available? I thought he was moving in the spring or might not be available?? I dunno, just don't want to get people's hopes up especially if they are traveling great distances.
2014 Adventurer 86FB

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

Put us down too. Sounds like a good time, definitely a good chance to meet fellow TC'ers and put some faces to the names here on the forum.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex ๐Ÿ˜„
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far - great to see people are interested. Just a few replies from me...

67avion: Dave sent me some pictures of the slot canyon - looks excellent - Sally is so up for that. Also, looks like you'll have some Avion company at the show too ๐Ÿ™‚

Mellow Mile: Forgot you are in the area - excellent.

dadwolf2: Yes, definitely the 'basic camping field', not the flashy one for those paying $$$ for their Overland 'experience' (I'm not one for paying for 'experiences' myself).

jonlin: I haven't contacted TC Magazine as I think we'll have enough takers from the forum alone.

usmcshepherd: Have a safe trip home from Afghanistan, and good luck getting the Lance - hope you get it in time.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

I hope to make it as well...I'm currently in Afghanistan and need to get home and get our new Lance ordered....if we get it delivered in time we will certainly be there (it would be a great shake out for our new unit). I've also been talking to a lot of the adventure motorcycle guys (BMW GS/GSA types) and it sounds like a great event.

www.overlandexpo.com

For the truck camper crowd there is also the option of camping in Coconino National Forest campgrounds and dispersed camping. My family and I camped up here near Apache Maid and its beautiful country...just another option. Also, keep in mind that there is a registration fee or daily passes that can be purchased at the gate. its also kid friendly!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

Dennis_JoAnn
Explorer
Explorer
That's a show I'd like to see. I'm going to make an effort to get out there. Thanks for heading this up Steve.

Dennis

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

I think this is a great idea... Have you thought about contacting Truck Camper Magazine and getting them to list/promote. They have a large TC following and list/promote these type events. jonlin

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

Count me in....and the slot canyon after the expo too. You are talking about the open field area and not the reserved space for the Overland Experience people? The open field is much nicer IMO, than the closer but sardine packed reserved space.

Mike
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be there. Just a few hours from my house. Would love to meet other TCers.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We will more than likely be there, only a couple hours away. We were there last year with our FWC Hawk, but just recently sold it and bought a Lance 865 truck camper. It was a great show last year and very well attended, both vendors and attendees.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II