truck tire choices

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at tires for my 2012 f350.
Originals are Michelin at2 LT 275/65r20

Found goodyear duratrc locally at 20% off 3750 rating

also like the Toyo AT2 rating unknown

Wanting something that is not real noisy so not overly aggressive but strong sidewalls for towing the toyhauler. Winter is not issue as I run Hankooks on separate rims for that.

Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the front only I'd suspect it's something in the TV front end or driving style and not the tires. Not exactly sure why one brand did it and not the other though. But I doubt it's the tires.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
cwilsun wrote:
I have Cooper AT3s on my B+ R-Vision (Chevy G3500 2006) with 8500 miles on them. I noticed over the 4th of July weekend they developed some road noise. I just checked them out and I have never seen so much cupping on a tire before. It looks like the tread is separating throughout the contact surface (both fronts). The last set of tires were michelins that were replaced due to sidewall cracking and had no cupping. I felt I should share. I will take this to my tire dealer on Friday for evaluation. I would post a picture but it is only allowing me to share URLs.

Typically cupping comes from a misalignment IIRC....
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

cwilsun
Explorer
Explorer
I have Cooper AT3s on my B+ R-Vision (Chevy G3500 2006) with 8500 miles on them. I noticed over the 4th of July weekend they developed some road noise. I just checked them out and I have never seen so much cupping on a tire before. It looks like the tread is separating throughout the contact surface (both fronts). The last set of tires were michelins that were replaced due to sidewall cracking and had no cupping. I felt I should share. I will take this to my tire dealer on Friday for evaluation. I would post a picture but it is only allowing me to share URLs.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
GBuilders wrote:
Michelin is the best tire but costly. Just about any tire shop would tell you that. Costco always runs that special as well as of the tire dealers. My 14 ram came with Nexon and I noticed Ford did as well but I don't like them at all. I had two of them that separates after 30k miles.

Maybe they are the best tire for running down the highway. Once your off asphalt or in the Winter, they are less than ideal. Last year my tire dealer had a room full of new Michelin pickup tire take offs (perhaps still does). Most in this part of the country spend a lot of time off the highway, and the issues with Michelin pickup tires are well known. So well known many will pay more money to reshod their new pickup than to endure the OEM Michelin tires. They have a place, but they are not everyone's "best" option.

Absolutely! My Ram came with Firestone HT's and I managed to make it almost 7500 miles before I changed them out for Mastercraft AXT's (which I love btw). Did the same with my previous Ford that came with Michelins which were as useless as the Firestones once off dry pavement.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
Michelin is the best tire but costly. Just about any tire shop would tell you that. Costco always runs that special as well as of the tire dealers. My 14 ram came with Nexon and I noticed Ford did as well but I don't like them at all. I had two of them that separates after 30k miles.

Maybe they are the best tire for running down the highway. Once your off asphalt or in the Winter, they are less than ideal. Last year my tire dealer had a room full of new Michelin pickup tire take offs (perhaps still does). Most in this part of the country spend a lot of time off the highway, and the issues with Michelin pickup tires are well known. So well known many will pay more money to reshod their new pickup than to endure the OEM Michelin tires. They have a place, but they are not everyone's "best" option.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GBuilders wrote:

I guess I made a good call selling my NEXEN's at 200 miles and installing MS2's!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
walker111 wrote:
Thanks all. Good info. I don't want a lot of noise so I will rule out the duratrac as suspected. My buddy had toyo open country and now duratrac and he says the toyo was louder. ( lifted 150)
Decisions.
Where I only put 15 k on the truck a year and have winters I am thinking more of a road tire also. Will look at the cooper and may go back to the Michelins.
My stock Michelins are LTX AT2. Maybe will look at the other defenders or MS.
thanks

Thanks for adding this information. You're much colder up there in Calgary than I in the PNW. But I do hate a surprise snow storm when they do hit and I happen to not have chains on my truck at the time. I decided to give the Yokohama Geolander AT G015 a try. Brand new tire, just came out this year and are mountain snowflake rated. I find that these were actually quieter than my Firestone HT's that came standard on my truck. They seem to be a more on-road oriented all-terrain tire since they lack aggressive shoulders and the lugs tend to be more in-line versus staggered. They also seem to not be as bouncy as my Firestone HT's, yet more compliant in absorbing the bumps and irregularities on the road. Also have a 50,000 miles warranty with these tires unlike the BFGoodrich TA KO2's or Goodyear Duratracs. Only have about 500 miles on these tires as I just bought them and I've been happy with them so far.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't decided yet I would also have a good look at the Hankook ATM. Since you're in Calgary, the extra sipping is a bonus in winter, I was very happy with them on my old truck and are my top contender right now as my current truck needs new boots also...
Another underdog is the Hercules Terra Trac AT II, made by Cooper but also has a little extra sipping, good warranty and very reasonably priced.

Hankook ATM

Hercules Terra Trac AT II

So after a better read, if you dont need a winter tire maybe a good commercial tire for highway might be in order for a F350...
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have the SST's on the front of my DRW 3500 and EXO Grapplers on my SRW 3500. I have only had the SST's on since December and after I burn the existing tires off I will get the back shod. Wearing well so far, always towing. The EXO Grapplers are a really good tire in my opinion. I will buy them again for that truck.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
I have some Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 and they are very quiet and a very nice ride quality. I was concerned about the noise going to an AT tread pattern, but I am very impressed so far. They have a 65,000 mile warranty.

blt2ski
Assuming you do not need a traction tire of too much sort, the Toyo and firestone ht models have done me well. No neither has the same traction of an at, but still overall dang good if on dry to rain wetted roads. If you get into slimy dirt, snow etc, yes, all bets are off on going forward or not. You did mention you have a second set of winter tires, so these may work.
I'm also running a discount tire at right now. To me, more of an aggressive why tire. Not bad in snow last winter. Have had better snow traction ok n tires, but worked. 60k mileage warranty, with 8000 miles, show little wear. Not bad for.one of the cheapest tires I found in a 245-75-16 at $125 per, vs most in the 150-200 range.
I concur with some, michiblows are last on my list of brands to buy. Cooper and toyo are usual first choices.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
JustLabs wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I'd personally take a Toyo over a Goodyear or Michelin. Cooper too for that matter. The new Open Country AT2 looks like a nice all around tire. You should also check out the Cooper AT3 and if you are willing to go a little more aggressive, the Cooper ST Maxx. The ST Maxx is a bit heavy, but it has a 3 ply sidewall and supposedly wears very well and isn't too loud on the highway. According to reviews, anyway.

I've ran a bunch of aggressive tires over the years. Currently ST Maxx. They really are quiet for as aggressive as they are.

I like the fact that all Cooper's LT tires are made in the U.S.

I've had really good luck with Cooper as well. How do you like the ST Maxx specifically? How are they wearing, wet/snow traction, etc.?

One thing I'm finding on them is they're pretty expensive relative to more mainstream AT tires.

I currently have mixed feelings about the ST Maxx. I took my truck in yesterday to have the tires rotated and balance checked. The tech found an impact break (cord separation) on the sidewall of one of the tires.

Honestly I'm not too surprised. My truck is off-road a lot. Boondocking,hunting,fishing etc. Still,I'm disappointed that a tire that's marketed as made for this kind of use failed like it did.

Other than this they're wearing well. At 10,000 miles they're at 15/32" tread depth. That'll give me about 50,000 if they continue to wear as they are. There is zero chunking from gravel and rocky roads.

They're great in the rain and snow. Mud traction is decent,but they're more of a aggressive A/T than a true M/T.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
JustLabs wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I'd personally take a Toyo over a Goodyear or Michelin. Cooper too for that matter. The new Open Country AT2 looks like a nice all around tire. You should also check out the Cooper AT3 and if you are willing to go a little more aggressive, the Cooper ST Maxx. The ST Maxx is a bit heavy, but it has a 3 ply sidewall and supposedly wears very well and isn't too loud on the highway. According to reviews, anyway.

I've ran a bunch of aggressive tires over the years. Currently ST Maxx. They really are quiet for as aggressive as they are.

I like the fact that all Cooper's LT tires are made in the U.S.

I've had really good luck with Cooper as well. How do you like the ST Maxx specifically? How are they wearing, wet/snow traction, etc.?

One thing I'm finding on them is they're pretty expensive relative to more mainstream AT tires.

I actually have the STT Pro's on my truck now. For an aggressive mud tire, I'm surprised at how quiet they are. Only have a couple of hundred miles on them though.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!