cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown odor - what is it? where is it?

purpleinnej
Explorer
Explorer
We have an odor. It's kind of faint, but obvious when first walking into the camper. After inside for a while, we "adjust" to the smell and can't really smell it as strongly, but it's there.

The problem: we can't locate the source to properly eliminate/clean it. So what are we not thinking of? Here's what it's not (we think):
1. The fridge
2. The tank(s) - both emptied and not really that full when we first noticed the smell. Also, we've had the "full gray tank" smell before and this is different.
3. "Storage" odor. We were on day 3 of a 10 day trip when it was noticed.

We've opened every storage section to try to sniff it out to no avail. It kind of reminds me of a dead animal, but I don't know where to LOOK for one? We've tried to follow the smell to locate it, but it doesn't seem stronger in any place or another, but a more general "all over" smell.
2005 Starcraft TravelStar 19CK Expandable
Towed with 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab
Mike - Air Force, Jenni - AF Civilian, Jackson - 2007 Model male, Alex - 2009 Model male
17 REPLIES 17

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
If it smells like a dead animal it probably is a dead animal. Or spoiled food, but I suspect you would have found that by now. I doubt mold/mildew/moisture would cause that exact type of smell. Same for sewer gas and bad water in tanks.

DRbillZ
Explorer
Explorer
Potatoes can smell foul also when they rot.

Bonnie19
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a mouse the smell shouldn't persist more than a month or two at best. They smell horrible for a while but eventually dry up and no longer smell. If it has been longer then that I pray it isn't mold. Check your roof/seals/windows and anywhere else for leaks and give it all fresh caulk/silicone sealant. You might think of removing some of the interior panels to take a look.

DRbillZ
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used camper. It smelled like rotten apples. The source? Glade plug-in sour apple!!! Never met a Glade plug-in I liked.

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Empty P-traps has been mentioned. It's the reason we close the stoppers on our sink drains when the trailer is out of service. A good dose of bleach in the grey tank will help too.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

rbq
Explorer
Explorer
Could also be smell from hot water heater. Drain & rinse out the hot water heater.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We found a bag of hot dog buns had got behind the inside shelf under the sink maybe a year back. Green smelly. An easy fix. Hope yours is that simple. Let us know if you ever find it.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
If you have water that's been in the FW tank for a while, you might want to drain it and then re-sanitize the system. We had an odor we just could not track down because we never kept more than just enough water to use while on the road....forgot we'd been on a 10 day trip and didn't empty it. So it sat in the hot sun all that time and was really funky. If that doesn't fix it, at least you'll have a clean water system. Good luck...those issues are a real pain.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You got some good ideas above and I hope that you find it to be a simple fix.
The worst case could be that you have water leaking into the roof or walls causing rot or mold inside where it cannot be seen. Check all your caulking and any possible entry points. Considerable damage can occur before it becomes visible.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
A Jack Russell will help you locate any animals, dead or alive.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We found a dead mouse in the wall behind the tv in an old TT we had.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem several years ago and a friend said to pull out the furnace and check there. Sure enough, one dead decaying mouse. Assume it crawled into furnace area over the winter and died. Something to check if you already haven't.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Has it been sitting long enough for the P traps to dry up?

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Dead mouse trapped somewhere?
Seal on the toilet (the one at the floor)?
Water leak leading to mold/mildew hidden in a wall/ceiling/floor?
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500