cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using silicone on a rubber roof?

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
In an emergency can I get by with some clear or white silicone for sealing cracks on a rubber roof?
13 REPLIES 13

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
This pretty much answered my questions. Great rubber roof resource.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/RV_roof_repair_info.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw2qzHBRChloWxgoXDpyASJAB01Io0ftc-lExChAX5UICFxHvk9J8IHzcLYyA2HuIgI4_YFxoCUlrw_wcB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
slacker cruster wrote:
Thanks for the help. Amazing how one caulk wont sub for another. I figured almost anything would be OK. I will check out the Eternabond and BU caulk tube option.

Hi Old Biscuit! Yes, have not had to bother the group for many years. My Northstar TC has been fine for all this time. Now it is starting to age and had some problems / questions. I told you I would be gone once my rig was in ship shape and I was good to my word. Thanks for remembering me!

You are WELCOME! :B :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Bottom line is no, even in an emergency.
If your going to carry 'Just in case', get something else.
If its something (the emergency) that has to be done now, use just about anything else. Or tarp if parked.
Using silicone as an temporary emergency fix only creates a permanent problem.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. Amazing how one caulk wont sub for another. I figured almost anything would be OK. I will check out the Eternabond and BU caulk tube option.

Hi Old Biscuit! Yes, have not had to bother the group for many years. My Northstar TC has been fine for all this time. Now it is starting to age and had some problems / questions. I told you I would be gone once my rig was in ship shape and I was good to my word. Thanks for remembering me!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure why not.....it's an emergency

Course this answer is ONLY for slacker cruster who has been around since 2011 and has a thing for asking 'questionable questions'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
in an emergency use that emergency tube of decent caulk you carry.
bumpy
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, not even in an emergency.
If your concerned about damage while on a trip then get some Eternabond tape to carry. They also make a square patch - which is what we have.
Bumpy has a good idea in carrying a tube of Dicor but I've found an unopened tube dries up in a year or two so you'd need to replace it occasionally.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't use silicone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Silicone is for bathtubs.
It has no place for any exterior sealing application.
Silicone will destroy your chances of ever properly sealing the area.
As mentioned, carry the emergency tube of appropriate sealant.
I carry a tube of Dicor at all times.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
slacker cruster wrote:
In an emergency can I get by with some clear or white silicone for sealing cracks on a rubber roof?

in an emergency use that emergency tube of decent caulk you carry.
bumpy

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Once you use silicone, nothing else will stick, so- no. Butyl gutter seal is easily available and compatible.
-- Chris Bryant

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only if you want to replace the entire roof!
Silicone is the absolute worst product to use next to gasoline on a roof.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with dicore. If supply is a problem you can order it of Amazon for fast shipping.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.