cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Keys - Key Fobs - Locked Out

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Chrysler Aspen about 2 weeks ago and only got one key and fob in the sale. Yep, you guessed it, yesterday I was changing the transfer case fluid and had my keys lying on the seat. I guess my arm must have hit the lock button and I managed to lock my keys inside the car. After about 2 hours work, using every coat hanger in the house, some wooden wedges, and a piece of bent 3/8 inch rod, I managed to hit the unlock button on the drivers side and retrieve my keys. I have a couple of questions. Can I have just an entry key made at Lowes, Home Depot or some where else that has a key making machine and will it open the door manually without the fob? If so, I will just have about 3 made, one for the wife, one for me and one to keep stored somewhere. Also, if I wanted to get a fob, with all the auto features on it, is there anywhere I can get one without going to the dealer and paying an arm and leg? Thank you my friends
26 REPLIES 26

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
With that dumb door key I can lay my " FOB " on the dash and start my truck . When I walk away with the fob the truck will still run . So every time that I get car jacked I use my dumb key , so when the criminals try to start my truck again , it won't start ! Ain"t I smart !

How many times do you get carjacked???
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
Amazon has a two pack replacement for $30.00, this includes the key and the key fob. When I needed one for my GMC I ordered the keys and fobs from Amazon, HD cut my keys for me. Programming instructions came with both. Took less than two minutes to program everything.

Who is HD?

Sorry...Home Depot
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
With that dumb door key I can lay my " FOB " on the dash and start my truck . When I walk away with the fob the truck will still run . So every time that I get car jacked I use my dumb key , so when the criminals try to start my truck again , it won't start ! Ain"t I smart !

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram has FOB key and if the key is left inside the truck I can not lock the door.
Once I dropped the key between the seat and arm rest one time and didn't realize it, got out the truck and tried to lock the door using the button on door handle and it just kept unlocking itself, took a few seconds for me to realize the key was inside the truck.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your local hardware store (if you have one).

My local hardware store (a True Value) can make "chip key" copies for many new vehicles that will start the vehicle. For one of our cars I had them make a "dummy" key that only unlocks the doors.

I don't think they can do anything about the key fob / remote unlock fob.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
HD cut my keys for me.

Who is HD?

Home Depot
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Amazon has a two pack replacement for $30.00, this includes the key and the key fob. When I needed one for my GMC I ordered the keys and fobs from Amazon, HD cut my keys for me. Programming instructions came with both. Took less than two minutes to program everything.

Who is HD?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Key fobs for almost every vehicle are available on eBay. Check your owners manual, if you're lucky there will be a procedure you can follow to program it in the vehicle, otherwise it's a trip to the dealer.

Also, when trying to unlock (break in) to a locked vehicle it is allways safest and easiest to go for the door latch inside the back of the door where all of the linkages come together at the latch, not the inside handle, or lock buttons.

Cheers
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry an emergency truck key in my billfold pocket. In the truck I also carry my RV spare key chains..

My truck driver side door also has a manual push button key entry... I use this alot gaining entrance to the truck getting things... Its also great for locking all doors as well with just two buttons being pressed. I wish it would lock/unlock my tailgate key lock - probably does but I don't know how that works...

I think my FOB won't lock the truck door if the key is still in the ignition. If I start my truck up on cold mornings to warm up I have to lock my side door with spare key that I carry in my billfold...

I got a chuckle from the listing about the spare key being behind the license plate screw. We hear some license plate theft reports on the local police scanner here. I guess if the thieves get the key when they steal the tags they probably will just go ahead and put the tags back on and drive away with the whole thing haha... That would be my luck at any rate...

On my OFF-ROAD JEEP back in the day I always had a hidden box location for a spare key...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
A non'chip key will most likely work just fine. IF your car is "programmed" to lock the door(s) upon closing them, I suggest you can take the vehicle back to a dealer to take that "program" out.

g'luck!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you insert key into door, turn it and lock/unlock it?

If so......a regular key cut from yours will do same. Will only work on door lock.

I had one cut from my truck key/fob for entry.
Placed it behind license plate....had to drill larger hole in head of key so license plate screw would go thru it.

When needed I can use a dime to remove screw and retrieve door key.

Check Here for replacement
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31