cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water pressure reducer

dsmechanic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 premier 19fbpr, was wondering if i need to use a water pressure reducer like i did with my 07 surveyor? i have been using it but the pressure at the taps are weak.
17 REPLIES 17

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Start with the regulator attached. Then check your flow inside at the kitchen, bathroom and shower. If it's too low, there is most likely a built-in. I'm in charge of water hookup, but DH is the pressure valve guy.

BTW, while you're shopping for the regulator, if you don't already have one invest in a volt meter....plugs into a receptacle that's very visible. If you get near the red area, you need to start shutting things off or change to the 50 amp adapter. Not a pricey item and for sure a necessity.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

dsmechanic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advise everyone. I will go get a new one before next trip and then let you all know how it worked.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Firstly, if the OP has low pressure, it's very likely to be the CG that he's at and there's nothing you can do to boost pressure from the CG supply. I would check the filter screen at the city water inlet to see if it is clear. Maybe the check valve at the city water inlet is plugged?

I would try the TT at home or at another CG to see if the same thing is happening.

A regulator is highly recommended to protect against high pressure at another CG. I have read reports of it getting as high as around 200 psi in some cases which can do serious damage.

Those inline exterior "regulators" are simply a flow restrictor that has a small hole in it of around 1/16" or so. There are no moving parts in it like a TRUE regulator. If someone thinks it really thinks it is more than just an orifice, I would really love to see a link posted to flow/pressure performance curves because I have looked and looked and not found anything. If these do regulate, you should be able to find a flow/prssure curve like for a Watts 263A shown here: Watts 263AThe inline "regulators" get plugged up with sediment/dirt/grit easily and stop working. The worst thing about the inline regulators is when they sit there with zero flow, the pressure will equalize on both sides of the orifice and leave you unprotected.

The best thing to do is get something like the Watts H560 or 263A regulator which can be installed outside or inside. The 560A is around $60 and is pictured below. I installed the 263A inside along with a tell-tale gauge on the inlet which shows a peak pressure of 80 psi so far this year.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I found the RV water pressure regulators sold at camping stores go bad, often. From being gummed up with iron from CG well water, etc. I too spent some time trying to track down water problems only to find out buying a new pressure regulator fixed the problem.

The plastic ones don't last as long as the brass ones. But that said I have had 2 of the brass ones******out this past year. They don't make them like they used to.

I found the Valterra brass regulators with plastic screw on lasts longer than the Camco reluator does.

And if you buy this one with the meter at least you can see and know WHEN they are broke! :C

I full time so my regulators do get a work out and have to deal with ALL types of nasty CG well water!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sort of amused that folks here won't bat an eye spending $6,000 for FBP and yet can't spring $60 for a good pressure regulator that will last for many years. it is a one time purchase.
bumpy

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn the spicket all the way on.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
And here we go.

There are two camps here, those that spent big bucks on a Watts after having owned common types (the $9 variety) and those that spend $12 on the newer "High flow type that work and flow perfectly good for RV use.
The "High Flow" was Camco's response to those that complained of low flow with their cheap regulators. Maybe Camco felt they were loosing sales to Watts but for what ever reason, they came out with the improved type which is regulated to 50 PSI instead of 40 and flows fine.

Bottom line is the Camco High Flow works perfectly - I've had one for 5 or more years and I have to lower the pressure in the shower because it sprays so hard.
The Watts will also work fine - just at a much higher price.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
What Bumpy said. I use to use the Camco type and then bought a Watts adjustable with gauge and the flow is great.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
PEX can handle in excess of 100# ......fittings, well not as high.

A water pressure regulator is a good tool.

Low pressure........
Could be clogged regulator
Could be low CG pressure
Could be clogged water filter
Could be clogged screen/washer at city water connection
Could be clogged faucet aerators

The only thing listed here that could give you low water pressure is "low CG pressure". All of the others will result in low flow and will have no effect on pressure.

Flow and pressure are two very different things that are often mistaken as being the same. It is fairly easy to determine whether your problem is one or the other, and once you work this out, the solution will be easier to find.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
A water pressure regulator is a good investment in preventing damage due to high pressure. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
PEX can handle in excess of 100# ......fittings, well not as high.

A water pressure regulator is a good tool.

Low pressure........
Could be clogged regulator
Could be low CG pressure
Could be clogged water filter
Could be clogged screen/washer at city water connection
Could be clogged faucet aerators
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Get a $12 Camco "High Flow" (blue collar) regulator and it will be set for 50 PSi and give you all the volume you can use.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
throw away the cheap $9 walmart special and get a watts type.
bumpy

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
dsmechanic wrote:
I have a 2015 premier 19fbpr, was wondering if i need to use a water pressure reducer like i did with my 07 surveyor? i have been using it but the pressure at the taps are weak.

Unless you are alawys guaranteed to have weak pressure it is better to have a water pressure regulator and not ever worry about blowing your lines which are typically rated for around 50 psi. It does not have to be an expensive one either.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_