cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weighing TV

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Read lots of post's saying to do this to find what your payload is (correct?) Or to see what weight is on axle compared to what axle will handle. So my question is for the ones who have were your numbers different than what your door stickers say? Better or worse?
20 REPLIES 20

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Helmesy,

Where is your other data label? One that shows axle capacities and trucks GVW?

It in the door jamb as well, just didn't get a pic of it. Anything in particular you were wanting to see on it?

These are the specs that are on it:

GCWR: 33000
GVWR: 13300
Front Axle: 6000
Rear Axle: 9000
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Helmesy,

Where is your other data label? One that shows axle capacities and trucks GVW?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
JIMLIN - You're assuming that all the payload weight will be on the rear axle. In my opinion that would be nearly impossible to do. First you'd have to leave the wife and kids home (or make them ride in the bed of the truck behind the axle) and absolutely 100% of the payload would have to be behind the rear axle. Even if you could somehow manage to load 3240 lbs behind the rear axle, as far as a TT is concerned, a simple WDH would take care of the extra 323 lbs. by transferring weight to the front axle.

All in all, not a very likely scenario.

The biggest joke would be trying to load 100% of the payload on the rear axle and none on the front axle.

Your over looking the fact these trucks are used for other purposes other than a TT with a WD hitch.
There are several of scenarios where some one may think all the payload sticker can be placed in the bed. I see it all the time especially on RV webs where some think think a payload sticker number is the holy grail.

Truck campers come to mind as some F150 supporters over there like to brag the F150HD can carry a 3000+ lb TC and a 250/2500 has a 2100-2200 lb payload......which also adds little to none weight on a trucks front axle. In fact some over there have complained their xx ft TC unloaded the trucks front axle.

You seem wise enough to know a payload shouldn't over load a trucks rear axle.......but other don't see it that way.

Anyhow I posted the payload number vs the trucks RAWR for the OP to consider not to start a back and forth and hijack the thread belly bumping with some one.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Many peaple seams to forget or not comprehend that payload includes driver, passengers and everything added since it left factory, and that some weight goes to front axle.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Bedlam
gattorgetter wrote:
I guess it always has to be get a bigger truck. Even on this thread. I wasnt asking about MY truck but asking about the ones who have weighed and what results were vs what the sticker on door said. Cripes is it that hard to answer " I weighed my truck and it was much lower/dead nuts on/ higher than what sticker on door said" cripes...

My 2005 F250 was close to tag capacity when I bought it new, but gained weight (lost payload) when I added side steps, camper tie downs, bed mat and heavier receiver and heavier wheels.

My 2015 5500 was tagged as an incomplete vehicle since it was a chassis cab that required an upfit and only showed GVWR, FAWR and RAWR without a payload capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the placard on my truck:

Here is what it actually weighs with me and a half(ish) tank of fuel:

GVWR of my truck is 13,300...subtract 9100 leaves me 4200lbs of cargo capacity. So in my case it was 13% less of the stated cargo capacity.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMLIN - You're assuming that all the payload weight will be on the rear axle. In my opinion that would be nearly impossible to do. First you'd have to leave the wife and kids home (or make them ride in the bed of the truck behind the axle) and absolutely 100% of the payload would have to be behind the rear axle. Even if you could somehow manage to load 3240 lbs behind the rear axle, as far as a TT is concerned, a simple WDH would take care of the extra 323 lbs. by transferring weight to the front axle.

All in all, not a very likely scenario.

The biggest joke would be trying to load 100% of the payload on the rear axle and none on the front axle.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed my new truck on the way home from the dealer. The payload on the sticker matched exactly. Of course it was over 200 lbs less than the 'brochure payload'.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
...The biggest joke of the tire placard payload system is a F150HD with a 8200 or 7750 GVWR and 4800 RAWR. Ford advertises this truck can have up to a 3000+ lbs payload.
These trucks may weigh in the 2400 lb range on the rear axle. Now add the 3000 lb payload sticker number in the bed = 5400 lbs on the 4800 RAWR. Another seriously overloaded vehicle as the F150 rear suspension and Fords OEM wheels aren't rated that high...
I don't believe you. Can you show me an example of a F150 that Ford advertises as having a payload of 3,000 + lbs and weighs 2400 lbs on the rear axle from the factory?

Now where did I say the F150 comes from the factory with a advertised 2400 lb number. The 2400 lbs number I used above (quote)"These trucks may weigh in the 2400 lb range on the rear axle" came from a F150HD owner who said his rear axle weighed just over 2400 lbs and adding his trucks 3000+ lb payload in the bed over loaded his trucks 4800 RAWR.

However even Fords body service spec webhttps://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2016/2016F150_Technical%20Specs_SB.pdf show a '16 F150HD 7850 GVWR 4800 RAWR with a 1883 lb rear axle weight has a 3240 lb payload.
Simple math shows 1883 rear axle weight with 3240 lb payload sticker number in the bed = 5123 lb on the rear axle.

Remember the payload number on the tire placard is a GVWR based payload.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:
...The biggest joke of the tire placard payload system is a F150HD with a 8200 or 7750 GVWR and 4800 RAWR. Ford advertises this truck can have up to a 3000+ lbs payload.
These trucks may weigh in the 2400 lb range on the rear axle. Now add the 3000 lb payload sticker number in the bed = 5400 lbs on the 4800 RAWR. Another seriously overloaded vehicle as the F150 rear suspension and Fords OEM wheels aren't rated that high...
I don't believe you. Can you show me an example of a F150 that Ford advertises as having a payload of 3,000 + lbs and weighs 2400 lbs on the rear axle from the factory?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
gattorgetter wrote:
I guess it always has to be get a bigger truck. Even on this thread. I wasnt asking about MY truck but asking about the ones who have weighed and what results were vs what the sticker on door said. Cripes is it that hard to answer " I weighed my truck and it was much lower/dead nuts on/ higher than what sticker on door said" cripes...

Nobody said 'get a bigger truck'....we all said WEIGH YOURS

So how does yours compare after weighing it.......lower/dead nuts on/higher ?
That is the only weight that matters.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
gattorgetter wrote:
Sometimes its easier to ask over there without getting the " you need a bigger truck"

That's for sure!!

Thats double for sure.

Tire placard payloads are based on the trucks GVWR which in some cases can overload the trucks RAWR/tires/wheels and rear suspension when placed in the trucks bed.

The biggest joke of the tire placard payload system is a F150HD with a 8200 or 7750 GVWR and 4800 RAWR. Ford advertises this truck can have up to a 3000+ lbs payload.
These trucks may weigh in the 2400 lb range on the rear axle. Now add the 3000 lb payload sticker number in the bed = 5400 lbs on the 4800 RAWR. Another seriously overloaded vehicle as the F150 rear suspension and Fords OEM wheels aren't rated that high.

Same for some of the new high GVWR 3/4 and one ton SRW gas trucks.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
gattorgetter wrote:
Sometimes its easier to ask over there without getting the " you need a bigger truck"

That's for sure!!
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10