cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Odor

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
We have the strangest odor in our TT...it smells like an ash tray! (That's my best description.)

We bought our TT in March, obviously used from CampingWorld and we were able to go into it and look it over before they even had a chance to clean or detail it. (They got it in that same day!) Never even a HINT of bad odors or even anything attempting to cover a bad odor. (Wife and I are non-smokers and can smell it a mile away.)

We stayed in the TT this year for 30 nights throughout the Spring and Summer and had NO issues at all. Late this summer I took the TT to our local RV Repair shop (kind of a ma and pa business) for some minor work. Ever since then it has smelled of cigarette butts. (I know that the wife of the RV shop DOES smoke...but I've seen her doing it and she ALWAYS goes outside. And the repair area is ALWAYS wide open during the summer with tons of ventilation. All that leads to me question HOW it might have picked up an odor there...but that's when it began.

I really love the folks who own the RV Shop, and I'm not planning on speaking to them about it. But I wanted to ask here what the best way might be to get an odor out of the TT. Is it just a matter of airing it out sufficiently or is there something we can get to help out?
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
18 REPLIES 18

Dandy
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a used car with 20k miles on it. 4 months later started to get a cig smoke smell.

As someone already mentioned, dealers and detailers have just about everything to cover up smells.

Try changing or the cleaning the air filters in the furnace (if there is one) and the AC.
2009 GMC 2500HD Crew Z71 / 3.73 / 6.0L
2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 318 BHS Touring
Reese WD System with HP Dual Cam
Factory GMC Brake Controller
Factory Receiver Hitch
Factory Tow Mirrors

threecamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Skunk will do it....and quite possibly mold. Also, I bought a used car that came off lease. I am an ex smoker and can smell that yuck miles away. The car smelled like it had been cleaned; maybe from detailing, but no bad odors. Three months or so later, we both clearly smell cigarette smoke in the car. The dealers have stuff that will cover anything up.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dead mouse.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I think of a ash tray smell I think of a burnt smell. Have you been running the furnace recently? If so it may be burning off dust. Have you looked under the burners on the stove to see if something fell under there? If so not only will it smell but, it will get heated up each time you use the stove and make more smell.

Akeru
Explorer
Explorer
I am an x-smoker. There is a few smells that I now relate to an ashtray. One is cat spray/urine. Is it possible a cat got in and sprayed or maybe sprayed at/near the door?

Another would be slight mold/wetness.

Obviously you want to find the source, not cover it up. If you can not find it, a thorough wipe down of walls, cabinets, floors, etc.. with OdoBan (home depot) may get what your not seeing. I spray this on my dog kennel, let it soak in my black/grey tank, and it is good stuff!

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Tricks from the refrigerator clean-up business. You can crush charcoal brickettes in a pan and put them in front of a fan on low, and/or soak cotton balls in Vanilla extract and leave them lying about on plates. I really don't know how these compares to the modern Fabreeze, and other odor eaters stuff we have nowadays, but it can't hurt.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I had a strange smell suddenly after a trip inside the TT . Did NOT smell like propane. Finally found the propane leak OUTSIDE at the generator that somehow turned into a different smell.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
WE have had 2 occasions in 22 yrs of marriage when mice died in the vents. We used Febreeze and it did the trick. Maybe your mice smoke.
out

If theres anything worse that mice, its mice addicted to nicotine.:B
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
WE have had 2 occasions in 22 yrs of marriage when mice died in the vents. We used Febreeze and it did the trick. Maybe your mice smoke.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have kids? They can be sneaky smokers!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
If it smells like "smoked salmon", it could be the coffee maker. Mine was a couple years old and something burnt-out in it. Kinda smelt like cigs or an ashtray.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
I would think it is something in the trailer other than smokes. Even if someone had smoked in your trailer it would not linger that long.

I am guessing either of the suggestions....smoke being drawn in through a vent "1 or secondly that there is a moisture issue somewhere.

Just curious...It isn't the smell of a dead mouse is it? That is something that is awful like smokes.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Please delete - double post. Sorry.

Use a Bad Air Sponge. I have problems with fragrances. These things work to remove odors and they don't give off any masking fragrances.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder