cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what is the dumbest thing about your camper?

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
For me its that there is no light switch or and any light at all when you first enter the camper.

The closest light is on the ceiling a few steps inside the camper.

Kind of a pain in the dark for sure.

Yes, I've ordered a touch light to put next to the door.

Too bad someone from the manufacture doesn't actually spend a night or two in one of their own RVs.

In my TT the vent in the bathroom is over the sink so in cold weather the ice cold condensation from the vent drips on your back while you're brushing your teeth. ๐Ÿ™‚
Camp Host, from the other side.
108 REPLIES 108

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Good news everybody! I'm writing down all of these issues and will start building "Dumb Thing Free" Truck Campers in 2017. You can order yours early and have the first ones to be all the envy in the woods and campgrounds!

Boomtown_Rat
Explorer
Explorer
The battery charger is in a sealed, almost airtight enclosure under the pantry and the only access is to pull out the fuse box. The cooling fan ran almost all the time. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SugarHillCTD wrote:
I will put a slim handle at the very edge of the door since we both fit through the doorway when it isn't fully open.

Not sure if yours does but our door will stay fully open. There's a friction spot that grabs it (not that I ever travel with it that way). A handle may prevent using that if you ever do.

You could add a soft strap loop and it wouldn't have to be at the door edge. It would still fit by the wall that way.

Boomtown_Rat
Explorer
Explorer
A good idea gone bad. A wall switch to control the entry light. Great idea! Now I don't have to paw around the ceiling to find the light switch. And the short ones can turn on the light for themselves. BUT the entry switch is hidden in panel of switches for controlling everything else in the trailer. I am more likely to turn off the water heater and turn off the porch light before the entry light is turned on.

The entry light switch has been moved to a different location. Problem solved.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
pastorbillv wrote:
The cheap thermostat - analog slider and not digital. Going to get replaced.

After using the digital thermostat, the analog slider isn't so bad. Especially with how the digital thermostat sometimes has issues and requires resetting every so often.

Boomtown_Rat
Explorer
Explorer
Rain gutters that terminate right above the front pass thru storage hatches. Nothing refreshes like cold water dripping on your back when looking for that doohickey that is somewhere way back there.

**Work around is to level the trailer a couple inches nose high. Not perfect but it helps**

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of switches hidden in a cabinet controlling things at the opposite end of the RV.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
The dinette is terrible to rest on and our slide has both the fridge and the dinette on one side so when the fridge is full and I have storage totes on the seats it leans hard to the slide side, loads and bags seem to help even it out.

Whenever I pass one on the road I can see they tilt to the right also.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The dumbest thing I see in my camper and every camper is the huge amount of wasted space in the cabinetry. This is most apparent in the under-the-counter drawers. Generally there is a face frame, slides, and then a drawer box made such that 12" wide cabinet front results in 7" wide drawers. Contrast that with some European van conversion which have no face frame, full width and full extension drawers. In my Bigfoot, if you calculate the volume of the drawers and compare it to the overall volume they consume in the camper, it is less than half. This same thinking is applied to much of the storage. It seems to be true of every North American brand.

Something that rivals that for dumbness is the seating at the dinette. I have yet to sit in a camper dinette that was comfortable. Flat seats, straight up backs not high enough. Its the sort of seating they use at Gitmo on terrorists.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
SugarHillCTD wrote:

-no handle inside the sliding bathroom door. Easy to add one but why didn't the factory do this? Didn't someone at the factory go into the bathroom, close the door then try to get out?

Our '07 has a routered cut out where you can put your fingers to pull the door open from the inside. A handle wouldn't work because the door slides fully past the wall when open.

That we do understand because we have used the bathroom. Obviously the factory decided to eliminate your cutout since it isn't on ours and apparently no one at the factory noticed that it was needed.

I will put a slim handle at the very edge of the door since we both fit through the doorway when it isn't fully open.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Heck I would flip head over heals for a battery, PERIOD!

I do see where sometimes the designers have to compromise and make a "dumb" decision. There's only so much room in these campers, and everybody wants everything. You just plain run out of space.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox; Smoke detector directly above stove.
Arctic Fox: Sewer hose slide out tray blocked by rear jack.
Lance: Batteries located at rear bumper.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
No wiring diagrams included with camper info package.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer

THAT THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE

Jack_Hart
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electric waste valves inaccessible for maintenance or removal.