cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the purpose of this for a truck camper?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck I asked the owner why the double receiver and he answered the guy before him had a 10ft truck camper on the truck.I just cannot think of a reason to have welded the bottom receiver to the top other than possibly for a beefed up extension?

Any idea's why or what it is used for?

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
15 REPLIES 15

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
In further looking at it this morning,it appears he also welded two rings on each end of the hitch for the chains and turnbuckles to anchor the hitch extension so he must have made his version of the super hitch extension or put the super hitch extension on a Reese hitch.

I have never been around beefed up hitch extensions and had know idea what the stack receivers were for.Makes sense now..Thank you!
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
That is what the receiver for our Torklift Supertruss extension looks like.

X2
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The reason for the double stacked receivers

Now that's just plum cool! :C

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Either two different height trailers, or, the truck camper steps, etc. blocked the upper receiver hitch.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reason for the double stacked receivers

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
two receivers reduces movement of a extended hitch bar, used due to truck camper hang over of the end of the bed/bumper assy.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I have this. Receiver for superhitch extension. Truck camper hangs over end of truck 3ft, I have a 4ft extension that goes in these holes so I can tow our boat behind TC. 2 tubes on it-extremely heavy.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I could see the bike rack or other purpose if the actual hitch was above the frame mounted but the bottom receiver is just welded to the top receiver which is connected to the frame.It would appear for very light duty purposes or to maybe beef up an extension hitch which most are very anemic in capacity.They say(e-trailer) a standard hitch extension is reduced to 50% of the original hitch,if that is true.

Would the hitch extension welded to a bottom 2" tube increase the capacity/stability of the upper extension?
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
That is what the receiver for our Torklift Supertruss extension looks like.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
SuperHitch wrote:
The dual receiver system allows for added strength and use of a high capacity receiver hitch extension if needed along with the allowance of accessories to be inserted into the top receiver.

Found elsewhere: "Dual, vertically stacked receivers let you tow a trailer and use a hitch-mounted bike rack or cargo carrier at the same time."
I love me some land yachting

pastorbillv
Explorer
Explorer
If they are different sizes, then one's a Class V connector (2 5/8) and the other is Class III (2").

If they're the same, then like the others have said, either he doesn't like drop hitches or just wanted something like bike rack (or motorcycle) to be lower as those have ramps that need to reach the ground, have the proper angle for loading/unloading to clear the middle of the bike frame, etc.

I'm assuming that the lower one isn't properly mounted to the frame and can't handle much weight!

JMHO!
Bill
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the previous owner never heard of a drop hitch? Towed two different trailers, and used the same hitch, but the height of the tongue was different for each one. Maybe though welding a second receiver was easier than keeping track of 2 different hitches.

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen trailer hitch on the bottom and bike rack on the top,but they're usually separated by five inches or so. Bike rack being in the higher receiver. Personally, I like boat trailer on the back and bike rack in front hitch.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
his version of a superhitch 2 square tubes better than one thought