cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would You Order?

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
In the next year or so, my wife & I are planning to order a new truck camper. Since I live in Illinois, I will probably be ordering it, then making the trek west to pick it up "probably to the dealer that I can get the best deal from". It has been tough to decide, but I think the Eagle Cap 995 has won over an Arctic Fox "I do have a 2013 crew cab dually".

The questions that seem to give me grief are,
1- Do I go microwave delete to gain the extra cabinet space?
2- Do I go generator delete for the same reason? One can always get a small Honda generator that will do the same. Looks like for some of my longer excursions I may have to pull a very small enclosed trailer behind to have room for other things like a fold up dining fly, lawn chairs, fishing poles & coolers to name a few & finding a home for a portable generator in there wont be a problem.

What do you folk's think? I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks, Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!
69 REPLIES 69

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Obviously having choices to fit each of our wants and needs is great! I installed a microwave in my upper cabinet when my camper was brand new, I promptly removed it after my first camping trip. I'm 6'3" and decided the upper cabinet would be handier as storage after getting on my knees to access the lower storage cabinet under the dining seats over and over. I love my oven for warming up food, as it also warms up my camper...it's great living where it's cool all the time.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bedlam
We use ours all the time. I think the camper has about 250 hours on the 2012 Onan.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
I won't buy a camper or a toy hauler without a built in genny.

Just been too nice to have too many times to not have it.

When dry camping I run it for making coffee in the morning without needed to pull out the Honda 2000.

When traveling when HOT, we stop anywhere and can run the A/C while eating lunch. This summer we did a 24 day trip, I think it was over 95 degrees over half the time.

When traveling when HOT, we can also stop, run the genny and leave the dog in the A/C.

Our 2011 camper only has about 50 hours on the genny was we try to use it very little, but its been really handy. And we do have a Honda 2000 we use in the evenings when needed/wanted.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

lonegunman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Arctic Fox 865 this year, it was my first TC. A microwave is a storage cabinet, I'd still order it. The built-in Onan generator works fine, they wired the hour meter backwards and it is kind of noisy. I'd still probably get it. If you want to use a small Honda it takes up the same space. I got AC for those times I have shore power and it is hot as heck.

Solar panels would have been nice. I prefer the quite and they do keep the batts charged. I did not buy a camper to sit in it watching TV or popping microwave popcorn.

A new Arctic Fox or Adventurer seems to have LED everything and a ton of options. I looked at everything, Palomino, Lance, Eagle Cap, Northern lite and a few others. I got the most bang for my buck from an Arctic Fox dealer a couple of hours away in Tri-Cities so I own one.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not just first time buyers who want a built-in generator. There are clear benefits for some of us. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
First time buyers will think a built in generator is a plus. When looking for my camper that was the way i was thinking.

But this site and others made me rethink this. Plus the $1500 to $2000 savings for having a honda or yamaha. Additionally my RV buddy had a built in and it shook his camper and was Loud as Heck when running.

So ordered camper without gen and bought a Honda from mail order for about $900 ish. Much quieter and can take it off camper when is not needed and provide extra storage space. Wife now loves it as the generator cabinet can store extra shoes and other stuff.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's funny that some Folks mention "re-sale" when talking built in genny's...yet the majority of responses have said they don't want a built in genny?!
:h
Seems to me a built in might HURT re-sale value.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reddog1 wrote:
A thread on oven use here: TC Oven use - baking bread

A convection oven will cook bread as well. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
I have not read all the replies.... but I agree with "bedlam", go with a combo microwave/convection oven and range top without gas oven.

I have a traditional microwave and the full range and lp oven. Also went with Honda generator.

Got friend with micro/convection combo and the extra storage space is great. You will find a use for the microwave when in parks with power.

Wish I would have gone that way.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came oven deleted, no A/C, no onboard genst. I think orders the Wolf Creeks this way for two reasons....one to upsell you to an Artic Fox as all of them were loaded to the gills and to sell the options at the dealer.

Would I do anything different? My wife loves the oven so we might have added it..but we are happy with the way we use it. I'm adding solar panels and will do an inverter, as well as a small portable genset. I would have added another side awning and porch light on the curb side and might add those as well. Although I have a 10x10 popup that works for shade.....happy with the leds!

We went new after owning used rv's and don't regret it at all. Plan to have this TC for 8 years. We'll get our money out of it.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
For resale and buying used I would be looking for a built in genny, oven and microwave. Not everyone but I think enough that it would matter.....
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have an 2011 Arctic Fox 1150...have toyed with upgrading now that I have a new 2016 Ram 3500.

What would I do differently? Not much, likely end up with a new AF 1150 Drybath again...
New would give us all LED lights.
Electric rear awning would be nice.

I would put a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom besides over the bed.
I would add a side awning too.
I would still do a built in genny. Great for making coffee first thing in the morning.

I would still do the microwave and oven.

We use the microwave enough to be handy and it works well as a bread box and holder for bags of chips.

We use the oven for casseroles and side dishes.

I would add solar panels.
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
I would buy used, our 10 year old camper was used very little, 31 hrs. on the gen set

This is not always a good thing as it's bad for the generator to sit unused for long periods. If nothing else, they should be exercised monthly with a load on them for 20 or so minutes.

Plus you need to carefully check a camper that old over to insure proper maintenance has been done on the roof/window caulking to make sure there are no hidden water damage issues.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely wouldn't go without a microwave. But built-in Gen, ditch it.

Nuker - why is it a *must* for me? I'll pre-cook things ahead of time to save time and trouble cooking on the road and/or camping, then just toss 'em in the nuker.

Gen - I haven't owned a single Onan that didn't have problems, and every one I've owned was brand new. Very few of my friends can say they've had good experiences also. And as others have said, they're propane hogs.

Get an inverter and a solar panel - I'm a HUGE proponent of inverters + solar. Even if you only have the normal 2 batteries, you can still do a quick shot in the microwave, or some tv watching without having to kick on a genny. Full disclosure - I have an extremely expensive Magnum Technologies Hybrid inverter, but even the cheap modified sinewave Harbor Freight inverters will do the trick in a pinch. I ran their 2KW $150 el-cheapo for years, never damaged anything due to being a Modified Sinewave - flip a switch, you're microwaving your hot turkey n cheddar sammich!
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A thread on oven use here: TC Oven use - baking bread

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke