cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel chocks for single axle?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
What do you guys use as wheel chocks for a single axle trailer? I've been using a store bought plastic chock in front and back on both sides of the trailer. These seems to move around some and get loose over time. On my previous dual axle trailers, I had a homemade chock made from 2 4x4 wedges that I put in between the tires and tightened a wing nut on a threaded rod.

Thanks!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
13 REPLIES 13

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
penguin149 wrote:
What do you guys use as wheel chocks for a single axle trailer? I've been using a store bought plastic chock in front and back on both sides of the trailer. These seems to move around some and get loose over time. On my previous dual axle trailers, I had a homemade chock made from 2 4x4 wedges that I put in between the tires and tightened a wing nut on a threaded rod.

Thanks!

I had the same issue with my coyote, what I found is a DIY solution that works really well. It is a home made wheel chocks that we use on our airplane. They are simply made out of 2x4s, Screw and glue 3 15"-18" pieces of 2x4 together in a U shape with open end of the U slightly wider than the closed end (measure it around your trailers tire) place on the ground so that the open end is hugging the tire and tap into place with a rubber mallet, so that the tire is wedged into the chock. They hold tight and really take nearly all of the movement out of the trailer. I painted mine so I could see them and help them last longer, they work great and were nearly free as I had all the material on hand already

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
poppin_fresh wrote:
robsouth wrote:
poppin_fresh wins the "cupie doll"!!!

I have to admit that I have no idea what that means.

Is winning a "cupie doll" good or bad? 🙂

You wouldn't understand if you ain't an old geezer.

For a single axle, I wouldn't use the slippery plastic chocks.

Didn't realize I had graduated to Old Geezer, can I get my status at the left changed?

No you cannot. The Old Geezer is a secret club.:B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
poppin_fresh wrote:
robsouth wrote:

Didn't realize I had graduated to Old Geezer, can I get my status at the left changed?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
It sounds like you aren't chocking properly if they are coming loose. What you want to do is "catch" the tire.

You do this by placing a chock either in front of, or behind the tire. Then, use the tow vehicle to push or pull the trailer (depending on where you placed the chock) slightly up the chock to apply pressure.

While the pressure is applied, place another chock on the other side of the tire, nice and tight to it.

Now, let the pressure off of your vehicle and the tire will roll down only slightly before being caught by the second chock.

When done properly there is pressure being applied to both chocks to the point you can't remove either one without reversing the process. Because of this you should find your trailer nice and stable.

It's easiest to do this method with two people, but you can do it solo by using the emergency brake.

Jon

This is the way to do it. We do it with one axle on our tandem set up and it has worked great for years.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
robsouth wrote:

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people hit the chocks with a hammer to drive them into the locking position. didn't stay around long enough to see if they stayed in the locked position.

DonNH
Explorer
Explorer
I like the heavy rubber chocks I got from Harbor Freight for about $8 each.

Best is to load them up as Popnfresh described, but pushing them in as tight as possible and then checking periodically works too.

I've been meaning to try setting up a pair with bungee cords to pull them together to keep them tight against the wheel.

Like the idea of the Bal leveler but am too cheap. That still leaves the low side wheel needing chocks.

Don

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:

2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you aren't chocking properly if they are coming loose. What you want to do is "catch" the tire.

You do this by placing a chock either in front of, or behind the tire. Then, use the tow vehicle to push or pull the trailer (depending on where you placed the chock) slightly up the chock to apply pressure.

While the pressure is applied, place another chock on the other side of the tire, nice and tight to it.

Now, let the pressure off of your vehicle and the tire will roll down only slightly before being caught by the second chock.

When done properly there is pressure being applied to both chocks to the point you can't remove either one without reversing the process. Because of this you should find your trailer nice and stable.

It's easiest to do this method with two people, but you can do it solo by using the emergency brake.

Jon
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the Bal Leveler, very handy device!
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a Bal tire leveler / wheel chock for my AR-One. Does both leveling and chocking with one device. Not as cheap as a couple blocks of wood, but very convenient,easy to use, and neat to stow.

Bal Tire Leveler

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Purchase some 24 penny spikes and drive the in to hold the chocks in place.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad