cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter storage advice- interior of trailer?

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Let me start by saying I did search the forums, didn't really find anything very relevant to my questions. I would imagine this has been discussed though, I guess my search-Kung-fu must be a little rusty.

Anyways, when you get everything closed up, packed up, and ready to sit the 3-4 months of winter, does anyone do anything else besides winterizing the plumbing system? This will be our first winter owning the TT, my wife's parents have a pop-up that the put moth balls in. They do this every year, the bad part is the whole camping season the trailer and EVERYTHING in it smell like moth balls. I really want to stay away from them with our TT. I've also heard of people putting kitty litter in a open container and just sitting it inside, supposedly to help draw in any moisture that may collect. I read somewhere on this forum that citronella candles just sitting unlit will help keep unwanted critters out of the TT. I'm just worried about something making camp inside the canvas of the fold down ends and in the mattress' and other items of that nature.

I guess I'm just asking what steps everyone takes to insure the trailers are fresh and critter free in the spring?
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)
12 REPLIES 12

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone. We got all the items mice may like out of it for the winter. Not sure what method we will use yet.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We remove almost everything from drawers, cabinet, as well as food items and the frig. I also leave the doors and drawers open so there are no sneaky places to hide. I use the fresh cab stuff, but the soap might be cheaper. A while ago, I searched as hard as I could to find all the openings, and used brass wool, instead of steel wool, in the hole first then expanding foam inside as well. Steel wool will rust. With all the clothing, bedding, and utensils gone, if we do have a critter, at least we don't have to wash everything. We mostly put these items in totes and leave them in the RV. Just our methods. hth
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
If you've never had a mouse problem using dryer sheets you've been lucky.

Reports here and the other forums document mice use dryer sheets to make nice warm beds and as potty pads. The only reason they don't poop on moth balls is they can't get their little bottoms up on top of them so they just poop next to them.

A jackalope however will keep mice out of your camper all year. This one has lived in my campers for 15 years and I've never seen any mice (or their markings) in them. This scientific data is as better than the mothball/dryer sheet science based on the first paragraph evidence. No one with a jackalope has ever had a mouse problem. Here's my Jacky ready to pounce if necessary.

If you're not lucky enough to adopt a jackalope: Get rid of all food. Don't store the camper in mouse infested areas. Fill all under trailer openings with bronze wool (steel wool will be dust by spring, it rusts).

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

ShawnMG
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the dryer sheets. Never had any evidence of rodents.
Me, DW, 2DS (10, 9)
2011 Chevy Silverado Ext.
2015 Rockwood Roo 233S

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Foremost, make sure every little speck of food is gone. I always take the fall clean out opportunity to lift the vinyl shelf liner and wash the shelves...amazing how many bits of this and that are on the shelf. Wash the inside of the frig and be sure to prop and door open. I also vacuum all of the upholstery and wet mop or Swiffer the floor. We use Damp Rid for moisture....available most everywhere. We set them in the sinks just on the outside chance that one would overflow...never has happened, but we still do it. Also have used dryer sheets and never had a critter....not to say this is the reason, but at least the trailer smelled nice when we opened up. Actually, as mention on the TT side, I'm going to ask our pest control guy to spray the trailer when he does the house in November. Since we store at home and undercover, we can easily be in and out through the winter to keep an eye on things.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I've used moth balls for years in the boat & camper & despised the smell in the spring but did not have mice.

Two years ago I decided to go the dryer sheet route and mice made a nest of them.

Last year I used Fresh Cab and I did not have any mice. Fresh Cab has a very strong but not unpleasant smell and does not linger like moth balls. I will try Fresh Cab again this year.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fact that you don't like the smell of the moth balls when you open the trailer up in the spring should give you a clue.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I used moth balls for years, took a week or so to clear out the smell come spring but not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. No mice in the 8 winters I had the hybrid. As you don't want this route, you can put down a few of the sticky mouse traps, a bait or 2, drier sheets can't hurt, and make sure there are NO ways for the mice to get in from below. I used spray foam for the few little holes I found.

We completely emptied the trailer, including the bedding cushions. Bump up the tire pressure 10-15%, remove all the batteries from the detectors and such. Make sure the 12v batteries are fully charged, fluid filled, and disconnected. Clean the outside, check the roof caulking, fold down the radio antenna. Close it up and install a pail or 2 of DampRid.

Having the trailer at home I could hookup the trickle charger a couple times over the winter, if you leave the batteries on the trailer and live in the north, you need to keep them fully charged.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good advice everyone! Will have to recommend the charcoal thing to my wife's parents! I'm assuming you just scatter the dryer sheets throughout the camper? Will have to look for the bar soap, don't believe I've ever seen that brand.

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I was told to get some 'fresh cab' (pretty sure that's what it's called, my local RV dealer sells it) also steel wool in all openings. I heard if you do the moth balls, after you remove the moth balls, to throw a five gallon bucket of charcoal in the TT for a couple of days it will draw the smell out. IDK if it really works or not....

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We have always used Bounce dryer sheets with good results. The main thing is to get ALL of the food out and ANYTHING that might smell like food to a mouse.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
We take out all the food and liquids and clean, clean, clean. Then we get a 10 pack of Lever bar soap. Open up the boxes and spread the bars around the trailer. I was told this trick by a friend that keeps old cars. Don't know why or if this is the reason we don't have any rodent damage, but the trailer smells nice when we open it up in the spring.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3