cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wolf Creek 850 roll over story

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, Since I opened this can of worms here is the entire story.

First let me say I have been a long time truck camper owner and I am no rookie. I have gone trough several truck campers. I recently had an article published in truckcampermagazine.com about me and my family
Here is some more background on who I am and how long I have been truck camping.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/four-season-truck-camping-in-southern-california

If you read the article you can see in the pictures I used the same tie down system with both the Northstar Laredo and Eagle Cap 800.

The week before Christmas I was driving home from a great camping trip in the anza borrego desert (trip report here http://www.anzaborrego.net/anzaborrego/Forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=694 and was traveling on BLM land road named EC085. I was traveling at approx 25 mph on a straight section of the road, when a strong gust of wind came up and caused the camper to become separated from my truck and rolled over the truck bed rail! The road was also a bit bumpy but not too bad. I had my 6 year old son Brett and 8 year old daughter Brenna in the truck with me. It is a miracle we are all okay. The crazy part of the situation is I did not really feel the truck do a huge sway or anything. It was my daughter in the backseat who said "dad the camper just fell off". Upon further inspection I noticed the cause of the camper becoming separated from the truck was my Wolf Creek was manufactured with a spliced in piece of plywood where the front passenger anchors are installed and this spliced plywood separated from the skirt. When the front tie down became separated I noticed my bumper was tweaked a bit upward and believe the rear tie down became separated by pulling up on my bumper. Before starting to travel on EC085 I called my wife to tell her we were going to stay one more night. Knowing I was about to be driving about 20 miles on a dirt road I specifically checked all my spring loaded turnbuckles to make sure they were nice and hand tight snug. I am fully aware of keeping the turnbuckles hand tight and not using a tool to tighten them down.

Here are some pics from the incident

The spot where I called my wife took a pic and checked the tie downs

The spot where the camper rolled out

My wolf creek in the middle of the desert. Notice the turnbuckle still attached

closer look at splice

My truck

The torn off jack

Underside separation

Nose cap damage

rescued by Dickerson Towing

Moderator edit: Please note, maximum photo width=640.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
130 REPLIES 130

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
grizzly8 wrote:
SAME THING IS HAPPENING ON MY 2012 WOLFCREEK 850 LB I HAVE CALLED NORTHWOOD ABOUT FIXING IT AND THEY SAID ITS UP TO MY DEALER.WELL MY DEALER DIDNT BUILD THE CAMPER,GOT THE RUN AROUND FOR THE 7TH TIME .NORTHWOOD IS JUNK TELL EVERY 1 TO BEWARE.MINE IS NOT SAFE TO HAUL.AND NOT PAID FOR YET UNREAL DONT KNOW WHAT TODO.

Please, stop the yelling...

Ok, so did you take it to the dealer yet? I dare say, when my new trucks have warranty work needed, I don't take them to Detroit.

"insert joke here"

Thought for the day: Breath in.... breath out.... repeat as needed.

Edited because I hurt someones feelings.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

grizzly8
Explorer
Explorer
SAME THING IS HAPPENING ON MY 2012 WOLFCREEK 850 LB I HAVE CALLED NORTHWOOD ABOUT FIXING IT AND THEY SAID ITS UP TO MY DEALER.WELL MY DEALER DIDNT BUILD THE CAMPER,GOT THE RUN AROUND FOR THE 7TH TIME .NORTHWOOD IS JUNK TELL EVERY 1 TO BEWARE.MINE IS NOT SAFE TO HAUL.AND NOT PAID FOR YET UNREAL DONT KNOW WHAT TODO.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
A superior method of tie down construction was developed and used in the SnowRiver campers.

A single flat steel plate tiedown approximately five feet long was attached to the length of the camper frame on each side.

Those with better memories and search skills might find the photo of the truck and SnowRiver camper that rolled over and the camper was still attached to the camper.

The tiedown construction used in Woof Creek, Lance, Arctic Fox and others is antiquated. SnowRiver was ahead of it's time.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Well he did mention in his post that there were some exterior scratches.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like my Wolf Creek has been restored and listed for sale on craigslist. I was curious to see what would happen to it. I wonder if the guy selling this will disclose it was purchased at auction and deemed a total loss. My restored Wolf Creek
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bka0721 wrote:

Jfet is making his own camper. He has the long Flatbed build going.

It is good when one recognizes a weak area and makes the needed corrections. To bad the National Manufacturers cannot build something better.

b
You are assuming mounting the TC solid to the truck bed is better. There are many things to consider, with the overall framing at the top of the list.

It was very common for people to bolt the TCs through the floor to the bed in the 60's and 70's. I do not remember the last time I have seen it done. My TC is a 1988, and has seen many miles. I see no benefit in bolting it to the bed of my truck. I think if I were to consider doing that, I would go to a Class C and have more room.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
Jfet wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I am kinda amused by some of the posts. Have you ever really looked at how your tie-down brackets are installed on your TC.

Yep, I have looked.

Our manufacturer used 1/4" welded steel angle tiedowns wrapped and welded directly to the steel frame.

And who was the manufacture?

Wayne

Jfet is making his own camper. He has the long Flatbed build going.

It is good when one recognizes a weak area and makes the needed corrections. To bad the National Manufacturers cannot build something better.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like somebody bought My Wolfcreek 850 at auction because I just saw it headed north on the 15 freeway into temecula ca!!

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jfet wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I am kinda amused by some of the posts. Have you ever really looked at how your tie-down brackets are installed on your TC.

Yep, I have looked.

Our manufacturer used 1/4" welded steel angle tiedowns wrapped and welded directly to the steel frame.

And who was the manufacture?

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:

Yep, I have looked.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grodyman wrote:
Hey anutami,
Let's see some pics when you get your camper! Did you get the rollover sofa or the dinette? I was seriously considering this model before I landed on the Lance 830 with rear tent. It has larger holding tanks and two propane tanks I believe.

Gman

Thats funny because I almost bought a 1040d in orange county, but the outside was hammered with rust because of the ocean air. I like the dinette better because it seems to have more room for the family to sit around, it has a storage cabinet that fits a case of bottled water/beer nicely, and I use the cushions for a blockade for the bunk so my son doesn't roll off during the night.

I had started to put the small dinette cushion against the small hinged rail I made up (I don't have a pic where they were installed)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Truck looks nice with the new bed on it - I had no idea that the body lines were the same on the older and new Super Duty trucks.

Apache Camping center is a great dealership to work with. I bought my AF811 from their Tacoma store.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey anutami,
Let's see some pics when you get your camper! Did you get the rollover sofa or the dinette? I was seriously considering this model before I landed on the Lance 830 with rear tent. It has larger holding tanks and two propane tanks I believe.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you! Sounds like they are taking care of you. Good Luck with it!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Mello Mike wrote:
So in this case a frame-mounted tie down on the rear probably would have saved this camper from going airborne.

Maybe. Or maybe the rear camper tie-down eyelet may have failed.

Regardless, I wasn’t there and I ain’t go no video evidence, but I don’t find it credible that a violent camper ejection like this was all cause by a crosswind while driving at only 25 mph. JMO.

Brad

Took the words right out of my mouth:h