cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Epic (for us) road trip

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
My 16 year old son and I are going on an epic road trip. It may be mundane for many of you, and would be for me as well, except that for the last 25 years or so I've pretty much stuck to areas within 500 miles of home.

We are leaving Bristol, Virginia tomorrow morning and heading West on I-40. We're not taking the camper (I don't trust my Suburban for that sort of distance, and I couldn't afford to feed it anyway). We are, however, going to be tent camping for most of the trip (all of it if he has his way).

We're looking for not only the normal touristy stuff (Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, etc.) but also the kitschy stuff (Cadillac Ranch, for example). I recently discovered Canyon de Chelly and we'll be stopping there as well.

We'll leave Vegas and head towards Highway 1 and drive up the coast for a while. I really want him to see that view. Then we'll visit Yosemite. After that, it will really depend on time. I have to be back in mid-July for some teacher in-service stuff. He wants to see Yellowstone as well, so I'd love to take him there and to Mt. Rushmore.

He says he's tired of visiting "old dead guy's houses" so this trip we're looking for more natural and odd things to do. He's not going to be interested in memorials and such (though I may make him go to the Civil Rights Museum and Graceland in Memphis anyway).

We're on a budget (teacher salary here), so any advice on cheap but safe camping spots is greatly appreciated. I know that due to our uncertain travel dates reservations are impossible and it will be hard to find spots in some places like Yosemite. Working in our favor, though, is the fact that we're not locked into a schedule, so can show up early weekday mornings at some of the non-reservation sites and hopefully get lucky. Also working in our favor is that I grew up in Las Vegas and we'll be staying with my friend in her nice air-conditioned house instead of in the tent. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for any input. I want this to be a very memorable experience for him...a true tour of much of our country.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle
25 REPLIES 25

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we left Atlanta for a family reunion on the Oregon Coast. We were in our minivan. It was crammed full with 5 of our 6 kids (ages 7-16), so we drove up to I-40 and didn't stop until we hit Albuqueque. Had family there, so we rested up a couple of nights and saw old town Albuq. BTW: DH and I revisited last 4th of July and still enjoyed it. Especially, good Mexican food, much better than anything we had had in San Antonio.

Then from there we headed to the Grand Canyon. Before GPS, I depended on my Road Atlas. Knew we needed a break before the GCnyon, so when I saw we'd be going through the Petrified Forest NP, we decided to take a break. We walked, we ooed and awwded and took video of the petrified rock sculptures, some were "talking rocks" and the beautiful views of the Painted Desert. We ALL thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Finally, I had to call everyone back into the minivan for the final time and it was off to the Grand Canyon.

Amazingly, I found it not as exciting and sort of a letdown. We walked around, took a few photos, lost 2 of the kids (oldest and youngest) who decided to try one of the trails down into the canyon and headed west through the Mojave Desert. We timed it so we'd be driving at night, because we heard it would be too hot in July for most radiators.

From GC, we drove up to the Redwood Forest. Our Astro van with mirrors pulled in was just wide enough, that we could drive through one of the trees at the Visitor's Center. Also a highlight of our trip.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good on you Mom!! Western suggestions: In AZ on I 40 turn north on Us 191 (exit 333 (Chambers) and follow it to Chinle ( Canyon de Chelly. Good cg there for you. En rote to Chinle stop for an hour or so at the Hubble Trading Post (near Ganado. At the Canyon do take the Navajo-guide tour of the Canyon.
Then back on 191 go north into Utah to near Bluff and take US 163 south down thru' Monument Valley. Again a Navajo-guided tour is as must (IMHO).
Back on 193 south to 160 and west to 89, south to Flagstaff (I 40) and west to Williams. Then north for Grand Canyon. back o to Williams and west on I 40 to Kingman then 93 to Hoover Dam and into NV and Vegas.
Your choice for CA is there - I15 into LA area or north to Reno and US 50 over to Sacramento/ SF areas. then north.

Be sure to keep us informed about your 'epic' journey!
John

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you like Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, you will love CarHenge in Alliance, KS.

Another unique place is Hole in the Rock south of Moab, UT on US 191. It's gone a little commercial but still worth a visit.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Since you'll be tent camping,finding available campsites shouldn't be a problem at all. You'll have to stick with public campgrounds most of the time but KOAs, Jellystones and private campgrounds around national parks do have tent sites. The US Campsite that Eycom posted is a very good site for public campgrounds.

Visit as many national parks as possible. Travel on the secondary roads when you can. It will really slow you down but you'll see so much more of the real country instead of just blacktop and other cars. Check out Roadside America for the kitschy stuff. You can make a map marked with all of the places that you want to see along your route.

Have fun! It sounds like a great trip!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I hope it is the time of your life, have fun
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
That is great that you two get to do this. Take lots of pictures and post them on here of your journey.

sigbowman
Explorer
Explorer
Mesa Verde, Canyonlands-Arches national parks and Lake Powell (Page, Ariz.) were my favorite stops on a recent trip West. We travel in a motorhome and always plan a night at the KOA in Tucumcari, N.M. Love the view.

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
I'm worried that I'm too old to sleep without air conditioning as well. But, I'll try to tough it out for this trip. I joke that the main reason I even have a camper is that it's a big box to carry an air conditioner around in.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine Lโ€™Engle

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
I've traveled quite a bit in outside sales, often staying one or two nights before moving on. I've found US Campgrounds to be very helpful in reducing costs for short term camping and the natural ambiance is second to none. I'm just too old to "rough-it", particularly sans air-conditioning in the summer. Traveling during the camping season, especially to real popular areas, it's advisable to call ahead and check on availability. Travel safe.
RVn Full-time

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The farther west you get the more NF,BLM and state park camp grounds you will find. But do not expect many available spots on the coast. Just too popular during the summer. So, it sounds like you are alloting about 6 weeks? So you have plenty of time to see the country. Dont rush yourselves, and dont be afraid to ask locals what there is to see.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The Queen Mary is in Long Beach; available for an overnight but not in a tent.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)