cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how much cash?

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to leave Central Indiana in mid-May and go basically the northern route (weather permitting) and cross into Canada in Montana. Then through Banff, Jasper, etc to Fairbanks and down through AK back into us in Washington and central route back home. What do you all usually carry in the way of cash for a big trip like this?

I had planned to use mostly Discover wherever I can and only use cash when I have to and nothing else works. Does Discover work the same as in Canada, except for the exchange rate? Just some idea of what to carry would be nice. How about traveler's checks?

Thanks, in advance for all your help! Happy Trails!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
37 REPLIES 37

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
My 1st trip up the Alcan....'72 or '74 can't recall...it seemed like $1500 was a good amount...or that was all that I had to my name at the time, not sure. In any case, that always worked for the next 25 years and circa 20 trips. Never found a place that wouldn't take either Visa or MC in Canada since circa early 80's, but I never ventured too far off the Alcan and wasn't RV'ng, so maybe one needs the right amount of cash even now.

I'd second Joe's suggestion: If you're out in Bush Alaska...even on the remote parts of the road system that pretend to be Bush Alaska, take some cash. Even in recent years, when I fly around SC Alaska, I always carry at least $1000 in cash "just because".....
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Cash is an interesting product in rural Alaska and probably in rural northern Canada. Cash is king and not always easy to obtain in the rural villages. When I would be wandering around the state in my Piper Super Cub, which burned about $50 to $80 an hour in aviation gasoline, it was all paid for in cash.So it wasn't too unusual for me to have somewhere in the range of $5,000 cash with me, at the start of a trip.

Many of the rural men, would work summer jobs out of the village, as fire fighters, equipment operators, labors, whatever it took to make a living. So when they returned home in the fall, they brought their summer earning back in cash, no local banks available. But by Thanksgiving time, the money had been handled so much it looked more like a used green kleenex with writing on it, than it did a bill of legal tender. LOL One village where I lived, Koyukuk,350 miles west of Fairbanks,the store keeper was also the post master. So after about the first of the year, when people came in to cash checks, social security or whatever, they got back postal money orders instead of cash. There simply was not cash available. Most people ran a book at the store for groceries, so cash was not used and the book was to be paid up each fall when the folks had cash.
So at times when I was going to fly into Fairbanks for some reason, the store keeper, a good friend of mine, would often make out a check to me to cash for her and bring back for her store use. These checks were often for $20,000 or more. Was a reassuring feeling as I figured if I crashed my plane, more people would be interested in looking for me if they knew I had that kind of cash with me. LOL Postal money orders were used just like cash if cash wasn't available. The were not make out to anyone and just circulated around and around.

Once you get up into northern Canada, you will from time to time find places that don't take credit cards. Many local artists don't accept them and at times, the lodge's card machine is down, they aren't accepting them either, for for fuel, a meal, etc. it is cash or wait till the data line comes back up for the merchant. I have had this happen several times over the years I have been driving to/from Alaska. Also as mentioned by someone, most of the governmental campgrounds don't accept plastic, they want cash only, whether it is a CG with a host collecting the money or one run on the honor system where you fill out the card, attach your money and drop it in the pipe.
Along the US-Canada border, plastic rules on both sides but once you get north, it is a different game. The last time I was at Boya Lake Provincial Park in northern BC, a older guy and his daughter came by selling fire wood at what I thought was a fair price. No way he was set up to accept plastic as payment for his nice dry fire wood. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest going to your bank and opening up a Canadian dollar account attached to your account and/or a US credit card attached to your regular account. For travelling in the US, we have a separate US CC attached to our normal account. We also have debit cards for use in the US which we typically use for gas purchases.

Debit and credit cards in Canada require the use of PIN numbers except for small purchases at stores, you can sometimes tap the cards. No signing of CC slips here. VISA and Mastercard are the two top cedit cards in Canada and I *think* American Express might be in third place.

I highly recommend that you have two credit cards (your regular one and a Canadian dollar one) with you in case one gets compromised somehow and leaves you stranded. The US CC we have has a small limit on it for use in the US so if it every gets compromised, the crook(s) won't get much and we have the use of or regular one. We've been compromised several times in the US in the past few years. Never let your card out of your sight.

Talking to your bank is recommended otherwise you could find some hefty charges for the exchange rate or transactions in Canada. Also check the benefits some cards have like towing and medical or travel insurance. Exchanging currency at a bank or currency exchange outlet can cost a lot and you are better off to have it set up with your bank and attached to your regular account(s).

Cash isn't used a whole lot these days but is accepted everywhere (must be by law). I haven't had cash in my wallet for years now. Personal checks ("cheques" in Canada), money orders and travelers checks have fallen by the wayside. "Plastic" money is the norm nowadays. Pennies disappeared here several years ago and cash transactions are rounded to the nearest nickel.

Never cross the border with over $10K in cash (not many would tho.) without declaring it and having a solid reason for having it.

TD would be a good bank to use as they are Canadian and have branches throughout the US.

If you don't do it now, setting up online banking is a good idea so you can keep an eye on transactions and balances anytime you want from anywhere (as long as you have a PC and internet access).

Here are some tips for Americans using credit cards in Canada:
http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/Tips-for-Using-Debit-Cards-In-Canada.htm

tonymull wrote:
I have found places in BC that don't take VISA but do take MC and some vis-versa...merchant fees, I was told.

I have never encountered that here. DW is an accountant and we use our VISA CCs for buying virtually everything (USA or Canada) because we get 1% cash back at the end of the year, double the warranty on items and a few other perks. VISA is one of the most widely used cards in Canada. A few grocery stores (smaller ones) take debit cards or cash only. Some stores, usually small places don't want to accept any CC because they have to absorb a high merchant fee but I have found this to be infrequent in the past couple of years. Or a store might want to spend a min. amount before accepting a CC.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:
Additional thoughts:
1. Check with the issuer of your credit cards to see which ones charge a "foreign transaction fee", some do and some don't.
2. Call all your credit card issuers and advise them of your itinerary so they don't shut your card off while you are in the middle of Canada and have to pay $1.69 a minute cell phone time while on hold waiting to get the issuer to reauthorize your card.
3. Estimate how much cash you think you will need and then take twice as much! You never know when you will have a breakdown and need some extra cash.

X2
That "foreign transaction fee" can add up quickly when using credit or debit. Ask your card company and make sure they know you are traveling.

Also ask your cell phone company if they have a Canadian add on plan to keep cost down. You usually can cancel when you get home.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
An aside to the cash story.I have a brother in law that doesn't travel much and on a trip to Hawaii along with a visa takes $4000.00 Us. cash in a big roll in his pocket.You wouldn't believe how many places would not take his cash when he hauled out the big roll.They didn't trust him or his money.Finally changed to carrying smaller amounts.We all offered to carry some but nope.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
When you cross the border, go to a bank and convert US dollars for CA, you should get at least $500CA for expenses such as restaurants, tips, emergencies, etc and have either a MasterCard or Visa. ragftw above has everything nailed down quite well. The exchange rate right now is almaost 20%, $1.00 US equals $1.20 CA, so it's best not to pay with US funds if you can avoid it. However, by nest summer the exchange rate will probably be more favorable and the US and CA dollars might even be at par. Make sure you notify your CC companies of your travel plans so they don't cut you off.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I keep $100 in US and the same in Canadian in a separate envelope in the RV just for campgrounds that want only cash. And in Canada I carry enough extra cash for a fuel fillup -- you never know!

Travelers checks are a thing of the past.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Additional thoughts:
1. Check with the issuer of your credit cards to see which ones charge a "foreign transaction fee", some do and some don't.
2. Call all your credit card issuers and advise them of your itinerary so they don't shut your card off while you are in the middle of Canada and have to pay $1.69 a minute cell phone time while on hold waiting to get the issuer to reauthorize your card.
3. Estimate how much cash you think you will need and then take twice as much! You never know when you will have a breakdown and need some extra cash.
4. When passing though Canada on the Alaskan Highway we have found a couple hundred dollars for fast food and souvenirs will take us both directions.
5. We always have at least one Visa, MasterCard, and Discover with us on this trip for reasons mentioned above.

This has noting to do with money but have an extra battery for your camera as you will deplete one many days during your trip. (There's just so much to see and photograph!)

Have a GREAT trip!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I have found places in BC that don't take VISA but do take MC and some vis-versa...merchant fees, I was told. So take both, wouldn't even bother with a Discover. Provincial Parks don't take US checks or credit cards so some cash is needed for those fees. In BC at least they are OK with US currency and will just round up, or down, in their favor, the exchange rate. (Sad that we won't extend the same courtesy when Canadians visit the US isn't it?) You get out in the sticks in Alaska and you can find places which only take cash also. Good to have a few hundred on you if you are going to those places.

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Canada for a few days last summer..found that some ATM machines would not accept our debit card..even the one in the office at the Quebec KOA. After trying several ATMs at local banks, one of the banks did let us get Canadian dollars at a teller window...later in Montreal we were able to use an ATM tho. Seems it depends on the bank affiliations.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
We took 150.00 in cash when we left home and came back with about 50.00 when we got home three months later. Always travel using only a Visa debit card and even added a "conversion" process to my data base file that tracks expenses. It wasn't perfect but it got us within a few bucks throughout the trip and would use either a standard setting on conversion rate or could be adjusted manually for any individual purchase. Found only one place in Eagle River Alberta that wouldn't take the debit card.
Good luck and enjoy the trip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
We did the trip driving last year. We used about 500 cash up and 500 back and used it up in the end for gas and eating out. We took two cards which saved us seeing one had the number stolen in Denali. We didn't notice it until 7 days after the fact when we could check the balance. 1299.00 was taken. The card company stopped it and issued another but we couldn't get it because we were in Alaska. I used the other. The second card saved us. What a great trip even with that problem. We were gone almost 3 months. No problem finding ATM'S if needed.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a Canadian Walmart equivalent?

Yes, it's called Wal-Mart! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip up last August we found almost no one took Discover in Canada. Used our Master Card quite a bit but seems in Canada they use the chipped card system making swipes a bit more cumbersome- but the swipes did work. This year I am going to add a VISA for our trip up to Anchorage and ask for replacement cards that are chipped. My AMEX card was just changed out to a chipped card and it worked in a few spots around Banff.

Did the trip in a TC last year so didn't need a lot of cash for "just in case" fueling. Think we got $200 CN once we got to Banff and only used about $20 cn for laundry. Arrived in Canada on a holiday so swapping cash in a bank was tough.

This year we are in our MH with a much larger tank and will have higher refueling costs so will get about $400 CN just in case to compliment Visa and MC.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
One thing not mentioned that the OP asked was travelers checks. They are out dated and not widely accepted. I would not bother.