cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I40 in Arizona

georgem2106
Explorer
Explorer
Between Kingman and Winslow rivals some dirt roads for being bad! There are areas that would shake your dentures out even at slower speeds.
17 REPLIES 17

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from some 6500 miles in the 5er - AZ, UT, ID, OR, NV and CA. As general statement I would say that the interstates were the worst roads.

And I am not talking about road cleanup - which is handled many places by inmates for next to nothing in pay - I am talking about paid people and, yes, equipment. Repair the roads!

Keep our darn money here to take care of America! We are too busy sending money to people who - in some cases - just want to blow us to Hades.

And I blame ALL of D C - not either party. So much corruption in it all.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

arush19
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back to California after visiting the Grand Canyon. I read this post before the trip and was really worried about the road conditions. After driving on I-40 it really wasn't that bad. There were some patches of rough road. There was one patch that was bad along some of the windier areas and it didn't help semi trucks are flying by me at 70 mph.

Maybe I built up a tolerance to poor roads living in California. If you want bad roads, drive I-5 through the Los Angeles area.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven it many times, and didn't find it any worse than any other stretches in CA or NM.

But, lots of truck traffic on I-40 and I suspect the fuel taxes don't quite cover the actual damage they cause.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
996Pilot wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:

If it's as bad as some have posted I'm wondering if it's vehicle suspension related???

I believe it is all ROAD RELATED. I've done the drive a couple of times and I will (in the future) take ANY road instead of I-40. It's just horrible. As someone said - it'll rattle your fillings out.
Except for the 20 miles that I posted I don't have that issue.

So it's not road related for me so what else is left?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

If it's as bad as some have posted I'm wondering if it's vehicle suspension related???

I believe it is all ROAD RELATED. I've done the drive a couple of times and I will (in the future) take ANY road instead of I-40. It's just horrible. As someone said - it'll rattle your fillings out.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just drove I40 from Flagstaff to Barstow and it's in good shape except for an estimated 20 miles of rough road. I'll take this segment over the 2 lane portions of 58 any time. ๐Ÿ™‚

If it's as bad as some have posted I'm wondering if it's vehicle suspension related??? :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
I have always wondered what with all our geniuses in Washington, DC who have money to send all kinds of places out of our wonderful U S, and the need to create jobs and all - why not create jobs to take care of our roads? And why not let inmates be "asked" to pick up trash (off the subject just a bit) instead of just working out and watching tv or playing with their computers?

This is meant to be bipartisan.

I don't see the bipartisanship. I-40 maintenance is the responsibility of the State of Arizona. Maybe the geniuses in Phoenix should fix the roads instead of financing private prisons.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pedally
Explorer
Explorer
Des Moines, Iowa uses them along I-235 complete with a Kybo strapped to a trailer. Highly recommend unless the one picking up trash

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michigan and Alabama use them also. I'm sure many states do.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As we've traveled in different states we've seen inmates utilized for road cleanup. I think it's a great program - makes them do some manual work and the community benefits.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Lauren wrote:
I have always wondered what with all our geniuses in Washington, DC who have money to send all kinds of places out of our wonderful U S, and the need to create jobs and all - why not create jobs to take care of our roads? And why not let inmates be "asked" to pick up trash (off the subject just a bit) instead of just working out and watching tv or playing with their computers?

I will bite. In order to have inmates pick trash, you need a van to haul them, boots, coveralls, and gloves to protect them from anything that could be bad, and money to pay for the supervisor, maintenance of vehicles, and wages for supervision. And being government, someone to spend lots of time tracking everything evolved with the operation.

Mississippi does use imates to clean their state parks with no problem
Kennyg

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Between the bad road conditions, semi traffic and people driving like idiots I40 is a nightmare. When we head to AZ for the winter we now go south on I25 and catch I10.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
georgem2106 wrote:
Between Kingman and Winslow rivals some dirt roads for being bad! There are areas that would shake your dentures out even at slower speeds.

Indeed bad. I drove old route 66 just from Kingman to Seligman last winter. Then I-40 back to Kingman.

Should have stayed on old US 66. It was a much smoother road. Sad to say that a highway, supposedly out of commission for 40 some odd years is better than the nearby Interstate highway.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

I will bite. In order to have inmates pick trash, you need a van to haul them, boots, coveralls, and gloves to protect them from anything that could be bad, and money to pay for the supervisor, maintenance of vehicles, and wages for supervision. And being government, someone to spend lots of time tracking everything evolved with the operation.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.