cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing versus hotels for a trip out west fromVA

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
Honey is having second thoughts about driving from VA to NM, ID then home with sightseeing along the way. We have a diesel truck with a self contained slide in. We don't have any time constraints and only want to drive 300 or les miles per day. Your suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Connie
35 REPLIES 35

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
dukenurse wrote:
We just came back from a month long trip and I think that my #1 squeeze felt cramped as we stayed most of the month in 1 spot.

...but this trip is much different. Would she have felt any different if that one month was in a motel? It would have probably been worse. You'll be traveling constantly on this trip and to beautiful places. Here's another vote for taking the RV. If she wants to stay in a motel occasionally, then do it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Hotels suck. As you go West there are many many nice RV parks and the price is frequently less than $30 a night. State and county parks are even cheaper. As for time/distance, I figure an average of 50mph which includes food and fuel stops, etc. You should be able to cover 300 miles in about 6 hours. As for places to see, every state will mail you free trip info. Google for their tourist info sites. Every state also has camping brochures. Check into it. Virginia hands theirs out free at Visitor centers. So do most states. Go to Camping World and see all the booklets they sell.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the RV usually prettier places to stay, no issues with motel cleanness, and we do not like to eat out so the RV is the way for us but to each his own.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Read this thread for a lot of suggestions of places to see in New Mexico.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
RV. I hate hotels. Haul everything in, haul everything out. Never know what critters are in the beds! yuck!! Some areas hotels are way expensive. Find great places to stay and drive the camper! Once you have your route established we can help with places to stay.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
With the truck camper, you can get away from the tourist traps and visit stte parks and small fed parks if you like a lot easier than with a trailer or MH IMO. We used to just drive see something that appeared to have interest and go for it. Some lakes will offer parking either in the woods or in prepared areas, or you just pull in and stop. Even with the TC we stayed at campgrounds as they really offered more security even if only in their over flow park area. And due to size you may get to stay at places others cant. We have taken advantage of overflow parking with both the TC and our TT and then been able to either stay in a spot or move on. With the kids we needed daily showers etc now just me and the wife but she like the convenience of the parks to walk in etc.

We generally go to KOA's as they do have standards to meet, however if selective some mom and pop are just as nice but then again......

Take your time enjoy the truck and camper, miss mine but wife wanted bigger so we now have a 29 ft CLass B+. Dont know if you have bike or motorcycle but they also could add to the adventure as they would allow for something diffeent at times.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We too are in Virginia, a co worker takes her husband & two children to California Every July, They tent camp and really enjoy it. They get to see so many more things & nature that you would never see staying at motels. They have done it two years & are planning to again do it this year.

With a truck camper and state & federal campgrounds you could do it at a fraction of the cost of restaurants & motels. Personally I wish I was in a position to do just that & hope to one day.

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful information. I do most of the driving, which I enjoy, so I would rather drive a vehicle that I am comfortable with. I love our truck camper and the options that it offers. It has a full bath and a small kitchen so we can stop just about anywhere. My brother lives in Silver City NM so we will stay a few nights there then see sights along the way to Mountain Home ID where my son lives. We just came back from a month long trip and I think that my #1 squeeze felt cramped as we stayed most of the month in 1 spot. Thanks again and safe travels.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the issue. If it is cost, The car will usually lose. If it is comfort, and the truck is not comfortable, get one that is. If it is convenience, you can't beat having your own bed, bathroom and kitchen. If you are looking for scenery, how much more can you see from your truck than you can from a car?

I have lived most of my life at the bottom right corner of a spreadsheet. Let me tell you, if you own the hardware, an RV is tough to beat. Sure the fuel rate sucks, but what you don't spend on food and lodging can destroy that pretty fast.

We now travel in an antique Class-A. We have never enjoyed it more. I can't fly anymore because I set off the alarms, but I don't miss it either.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
dukenurse wrote:
Honey is having second thoughts about driving from VA to NM, ID then home with sightseeing along the way. We have a diesel truck with a self contained slide in. We don't have any time constraints and only want to drive 300 or les miles per day. Your suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Connie

For me this is a "NO CONTEST" We love our Coach and the DW has no problem with extended trips (90-180 days). Do to time constraints we still do both, hotel and Coach, but given the choice -- my bed - my bath - my house - I would always pick the Coach if possible.

If you are comfortable in the slide in then go for it, if worst comes to worst you could always take a few days and chill out in a Vacation area along the way (we still talk about staying in Yellowstone Lodge with the RV parked outside) just had to say we did it, smaller unit that was not really made for long periods. A couple years after we married we took the PU/Slide in on the coast to coast dash through all the Parks and sights possible - Loved it but most of the pictures had the truck mirror in them - stayed in a few hotel rooms along the way and planted the seeds for many return trips.

One of the great things about being self contained is the ability to put in a couple of long days wen there is little to see and just spending the night at Wal*Mart, then to only drive 25-50 miles between sites and CG's. Flexibility (travel days_ and familiarity (Bed and Bath) are both great reason to go for it.

If you need advice on specific sites just do a search or start a new post.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I have done several cross country trips using automobile, truck camper, and motor home. I have always enjoyed using my own facilities and not having to unload and repack everyday. I agree with others that I can stop when I want and eat when I want. I do not believe that I could go back to using motels again. I usually drive about 200 miles a day. That is enough for me. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also take the camper. Lots of great places out west where hotels are A) non-existent or B) If there are any, they'll be pricey.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Since you already have the truck camper, just take it. If the mood strikes, stay at a hotel or if the mood strikes stay at a campsite.

If you want to save a little money, make dinner. If you want to splurge go out to a restaurant.

You will spend a little more in fuel but I think if you run the numbers you will find it will easily be offset with the cost savings from days camping and eating in the RV.

Agree. Years ago had vw camper followed by a Rialta. Many times we wanted a break from the confines of the RV and stayed at a motel. Lots of options with a TC.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Been there, done that twice. You'll love it.

You should check out the usual stops. Petrified Forest NP, Grand Canyon NP (both South and North, very different places), Bryce and Zion, Arches, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Death Valley. Heck, take the entire spring, summer, and fall, and you might scratch the surface.

We follow the 2,2,2 rule if possible. Drive 200 miles a day, arrive before 2 PM, and stay 2 days. If you insist on driving 300 miles, arrive when you get there, and move on the next day, you can get from West Virginia to Seattle in 2 weeks. Ditto Los Angeles to Virginia. But the real joy is taking your time and being able to see and explore the fabulous sights along the way. This is a great continent we share.

There is a book my daughter bought for us when we got our RV back in 2008: "Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen. It's about 900 pages detailing 11 different cross-country trips via 2-lane roads, mostly, with tips of where to stop and what to see on the way. So far we've managed hurried trips on 2 of them, can't wait for the DW to retire so we can take more.

Clicky

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since you already have the truck camper, just take it. If the mood strikes, stay at a hotel or if the mood strikes stay at a campsite.

If you want to save a little money, make dinner. If you want to splurge go out to a restaurant.

You will spend a little more in fuel but I think if you run the numbers you will find it will easily be offset with the cost savings from days camping and eating in the RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV