cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Acton, CA KOA - AVOID

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed 3 nights there. The facilities were Ok, but not great. The WiFi took about 3-5 minutes for a page display, if at all.

On our last day, Saturday, my wife went to check out the pool for a swim. That area appeared to be reserved for a wedding!!! At about 3 pm the deejay started. Very loud amplified music. That soon changed to a Very, Very Loud Mariachi Band. I mean VERY LOUD. They played until almost 11 pm. This is where there are many signs posted that say you will be ejected if you violate the 10-6 quiet hours. After the band packed up, the deejay music started up again. This is all taking place on the pool patio. Since it was impossible to sleep, we joined quite a few others and packed up and left at 11:45 pm. No sleep tonight.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html
18 REPLIES 18

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Just another way for the KOA CG to make extra money. At the expense (NOISE) of the other campers! Really very inconsiderate of the CG owners/managers.

Ray

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the nineties we were staying at the Campland on the Bay in San Diego when they pulled one of these stunts. They decided it was a good idea to host a USC Toga Party. By the time I got fed up and went to the office there was a large group of campers way ahead of me. The next day employees told several of us campers that the Activities had already been fired!

The campground needed to advise their campers of this and obeyed their own noise rules. Give KOA Headquarters in Billings, MT a call.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the feedback on these local campgrounds. While Acton would not be a destination for me, the location could be good for overnight on the way into southern CA-somewhere to stay waiting for favorable traffic conditions.

Between this post and the rvparkreviews it doesn't look too appetizing. OP should write to KOA headquarters-citing the noise and that advertised facilities were closed to most campers. Parties are fun but there are times I need to sleep too. I don't want those terms dictated to me.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Get over yourselves. I would not care if they had a wedding or whatever.
I think it would be a great diversion from the normal camping routine.
I do think the management should warn guest of the event at check in or time of reservation.
I have been to more than one CG that may have a DJ or music on a Sat. night that was pretty loud. Not that big of a deal. Sure not a reason for me to avoid a CG altogether.
Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Travel Park in Va Beach.
That place parties! They had loud music a and A DJ pool party all weekend long when I was there. Not a problem
While I'm not a fan of KOA's the threat of a possible wedding would not keep me away.
By the way the Fredericksburg,VA KOA is a great place. It is the first KOA that I actually enjoyed
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
OK, guys so now on my list of things to ask is if they are going to have a wedding and Mariachi band on the Pool patio? Come on, you think this is OK? It is an indication of how MGT. runs the place and cares about the campers! I for one would avoid such a poorly managed place!

Agreed. Definitely notify KOA Corporation of this too.

Further, if the campers are not notified of such a disruptive activity, I would also ask KOA Corporation for a refund. You might get one, you never know. At least the HQ for KOA will know of this park's lack of customer concern. A campground is a 'product' used by consumers. Those who forget the need for customer service are in need of retraining.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, guys so now on my list of things to ask is if they are going to have a wedding and Mariachi band on the Pool patio? Come on, you think this is OK? It is an indication of how MGT. runs the place and cares about the campers! I for one would avoid such a poorly managed place!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
No, we were not told of the festivities. I was there with a group of people for a two day event. I paid for an extra day just to kick back. The earliest we knew of the event was when my wife went to use the pool and they had the area closed off.

Another person from our group found the night manager. He said it was a new policy to host weddings. He could care less that folks were upset.

Try getting some sleep when people are playing LOUD, amplified music 100 feet from your camper, at midnight. At this point we left. After 9 hours of music.

The management will not return either eMails or phone calls.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
I looked on RV Park Reviews, it gets mixed, but mostly bad reviews.

I would definitely not go to a CG that does that sort of thing. Not boycott, just not go. Like with any reviews, you have to see why the person loves/hates a place. Me? I like quiet. I like CGS that enforce rules that make the place pleasant fro everyone. So, when I read something like this, I know it is not for me. Some people love the bustle - they will crash the party, so for them, the review will give them other thoughts.

Of course, living in So Cal, going to Acton is so low on the list

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think boycotting the place is extreme at all. He probably paid 50$ a night and hoped to use the pool. I would have given the management one opportunity to refund some or all of the charged fees. If I did not get that I would spread the work just as has been done. We pay for a service. If we don't get that service and don't attempt to get redress, that is doing noone any favor.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
gkas wrote:
...snip... Since it was impossible to sleep, we joined quite a few others and ...snip...

I thought you were going to say "we joined the party." Now that would have been funny. LOL.

Sorry you had an experience that was unpleasant to you.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
They rented out for a wedding so you will never stay there again and we should all avoid the place? Was it clean safe friendly level with easy access?
JMHO

Agree. A head's up that they do functions is nice, but to avoid altogether is extreme.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
They rented out for a wedding so you will never stay there again and we should all avoid the place? Was it clean safe friendly level with easy access?
JMHO

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Geez
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
peaches&cream wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
I'm with you, I'd be very irritated after a long day on the road to have to put up with that nonsense. I wonder what management was thinking.

If I read correctly, OP had been there for 3 nights. Did they not know this was planned?

Mgmt doesn't always share that info. Since they are KOA, I would report them directly to KOA Corp. KOA Corp has always been responsive to customer concerns in my experiences with them.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus