cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Capital Reef Question

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Ok my dh and I r wanting to know from those of you that have camped at Capital Reef or in the area if there is enough for us to see and do for the 10 days of our vacation? All the reading and suggestion from alot of people on this forum it seems maybe we should just stay in this area for our vacation. Your thoughts are so welcome.:) thanks tara ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
21 REPLIES 21

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:

I hafta laff as people who show the pictures they want so as to prove a point and avoid the whole truth. Seems soos's pictures do just that. Soos must be a politician as they are good at that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Huh?
I posted links to a blog post that i wrote 3 years ago, soon after driving that road. I Certainly didn't just pick the pictures to prove a point on this thread, years after the trip.
The FACT is that we had no issues on that road and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact we've driven it several times, always towing.
Obviously people have varying opinions and comfort levels towing a rig and my DH is an experienced driver who enjoys being behind the wheel so maybe we enjoyed it more than others would.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I might add that we love Hwy 12 and drove it in our 40' motorhome every time we were in the area. The hogback is not sheer drop-offs. It's a short stretch with a gradual slope. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have T M, but we also agree on many things as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

I just try and lay it out as truthfully as I can but I also state it is personal comfort when it comes to roads. I was in sales and used to put on 2 times more miles in a month that most people did in a year. Maybe that is why now I run a bit conservative on it.

Some people - and I have seen them - go to the edge of the Grand Canyon (against the rules / law BTW) and stand on loose gravel at the edge and peer down 4000 feet. I don't do or recommend that either!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:
I did not think this would - as many threads on here do - talk about Escalante Staircase; highway 12 between Torrey and Escalante. Read Mountain Directory West. I am an experienced mountain driver and would not recommend that drive with an rv. Simple as that.

The road has many grades, some very steep. It has tight curves. And the hogback section has dropoffs on both sides, little shoulder and no guardrails.

And, of course, the "other driver" that takes their half out of the middle which is not fun at any time in any vehicle regardless if it is the hogback, a tight turn or they are gawking, on the phone or texting.

I hafta laff as people who show the pictures they want so as to prove a point and avoid the whole truth. Seems soos's pictures do just that. Soos must be a politician as they are good at that! ๐Ÿ™‚

I wasn't going to comment on highway 12 either, because I've commented on it extensively as well. But since Lauren had to chime in I couldn't resist. Lauren and I have bantered about 12 and other routes. We've driven many of the same roads with very different opinions. I've driven 12 in two fivers and the current MH probably close to a dozen times. I even rerouted our trip to drive it to see the aspen on Boulder Mountain in the fall. Driving my 1991 Miata with the top down at well over the posted limit is on my bucket list.

It is one of the most spectacular drives in the Four Corners. Navigating it in an RV is about experience, tolerance for the stated conditions, and situational awareness. Yes, you can drive off the edge or be forced off the edge. Idiots drive in both lanes. But the view before you hit the bottom would be spectacular. Just make sure the GoPro is running.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
ok thanks everyone for replies. We are just staying in that area till we feel we want to move on then it would be to moab. And like I said we were in the area in sept. 2013 but capt. reef was closed cause all of the rain. we just got to drive thru on hyw 24 but even with the rain it was pretty. Anyway we cant wait to go ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We did the whole stretch of 12 in 2013 and it was very beautiful but I will admit part of the road between Escalate and boulder scared me! But not my husband and we were pulling 26ft TT. He is not afraid of heights and I am. People that don't have a fear of heights have no idea the fear factor. Anyway since he is driver I just close my eyes and he tells me when its ok ๐Ÿ™‚ If the driver has no problem with heights go and don't miss this beautiful scenery. Now he is trying to talk me in to million dollar hyw,since we will be out that way but we now have 36 ft 5th wheel so I said yes without the 5th ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We did 12 going south a couple of years ago and when we crossed the dreaded hogback we didn't even realize that was it. I kept waiting for this dangerous long stretch of road and it never came. When we got to Escalante I then realized that the hogback must have been the 1/2 mile stretch with drop offs that is over before you know it. Route 12 is a spectacular drive and don't let the naysayers stop you from traveling it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I have made this comment so many times I almost decided not to say it again, but I just can't resist.

The drive along Utah 12 was one of our most enjoyable in all our travels throughout the United States. We had not one moment of tension. I have genuinely been surprised that so many have expressed concern about this highway.

OK, I've said it again, and it is the truth. But . . . I am not trying to change anyone's mind who thinks otherwise. And I am certainly not recommending it. Fortunately for us, we had heard nothing to make us apprehensive when we did drive it several years ago with our 32' fifth-wheel. It was just the way we had already planned to go from Bryce to Torrey. For us it was truly an experience of serendipity.

We may never go that way again, but it would be a pleasure if we could be able to. And thankful for the memories.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I did not think this would - as many threads on here do - talk about Escalante Staircase; highway 12 between Torrey and Escalante. Read Mountain Directory West. I am an experienced mountain driver and would not recommend that drive with an rv. Simple as that.

The road has many grades, some very steep. It has tight curves. And the hogback section has dropoffs on both sides, little shoulder and no guardrails.

And, of course, the "other driver" that takes their half out of the middle which is not fun at any time in any vehicle regardless if it is the hogback, a tight turn or they are gawking, on the phone or texting.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
lfloom wrote:
The road between capitol reef and escalante had me nearly in tears. I was terrified. I am usually the driver, but I could not do it. My husband took over, but not until we had an argument about how he really needed to respect my fear of the road and to drive very carefully.

I hope to do So Utah again someday, but it I wont drive that road. It was scary in car, terrifying with a trailer.

wow, talk about different strokes for different folks. I LOVED that drive and we were towing a 38 ft 5th wheel. what a stunningly beautiful drive! We kept pulling over to take pictures every chance we got

One of my several posts about that area
Rte 12 Utah

oh, and one more that is mostly just pics of the road
the view from the window
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
lfloom wrote:
The road between capitol reef and escalante had me nearly in tears. I was terrified. I am usually the driver, but I could not do it. My husband took over, but not until we had an argument about how he really needed to respect my fear of the road and to drive very carefully.

I hope to do So Utah again someday, but it I wont drive that road. It was scary in car, terrifying with a trailer.

I did not need to hear this, guess I better show my wife how to drive the truck with FW.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Capital Reef is a lesser visited park in southern Utah but it is a gem. It is rural.

I spent 2 days there and I think the other posters have more experience, but I will add this:

- there is a little store near the campground in Fruita. Get the small individual sized pies. Very tasty.

- The campground in the park does not take reservations, first come first served. You need to show up early enough or stay outside and then come in the next morning. Torrey is about 10 miles outside of the park. Sites are not big. I don't think my 35' would fit anywhere. They do have a group site but it is reserved under separate rules months in advance.

- Capital Reef is weird shaped.

- Cathedral Valley - We decide to do this loop and it was awesome. You can't take a trailer on it, but we did it in a Toyota 4runner and for me it was fun dirt-trail driving.

- Torrey has a great burger place that was on TV. One of those diners and dives type shows.

- I don't think I could find 10 days worth of stuff to do. I'm not a super avid hiker. I'd split the time as others have suggested, maybe Escalante or Kanab areas.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not been there, Goblin Valley State Park is not that far from Capitol Reef. In my opinion there is more than enough to see in the Capitol Reef/Torrey area for ten days. There is the Fishlake Scenic Byway and other Scenic byways and backways. There is lots to explore on the Eastern end of the Ut-12 Scenic Byway. There are numerous hiking trails in the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument.

We have spent considerably more than ten days in the Torrey/Capitol Reef area and have not seen it all. Just depends on what you want and like to do.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler