cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any experience at Wilderness Camp at Disney???

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, curious if anyone has every camped in the Wilderness campground with pets?? Dogs or Cats?? In trying to get info about how much they want to screw me for on top of there already ridiculous rates, I'm told I pay 5.00 a night extra for each dog each night and told that I cannot have a cat. A cat that stays IN my rv and does not come out. Just curious if anyone has every been with with cats before. Right now I'm going to tell them where they can stick there campground, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a problem with this.
56 REPLIES 56

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Someone said parking is 15, no it is 20. The main perk to being on site is early and late Magic Hours. Next time my kids visit, will use my pass holder discount to get them on site so they can do more in a few days.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
Too expensive, does NOT live up to the hype

I agree, and as the OP stated, the commute time from another park isn't bad. We stayed last year, and the transfer/wait times on the Disney buses could be a bit long. It wasn't as easy and painless as I thought. To each his own, but it wasn't for us.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Too expensive, does NOT live up to the hype
Proud father of a US Marine

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Just made rez last w/e and we are being charged $5.00/day for the mutt.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Well I stayed elsewhere, took me about 10 minutes to commute, probably wouldnt be any shorter than that on disney property with there transport, SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY. After 2 days at the parks, my feet and legs had no desire or stregth to walk anywhere else disney transport would take me.Had a great time. So you see, IT CAN BE DONE.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP had wrong info to begin with...there is NOT a 5.00 per pet per night charge at Fort Wilderness. I didn't see anyone scold him in regards to this, only correct him. As others have pointed out, you won't find anything close to Fort Wilderness in accessibility and quality when it comes to an RV Park. I have looked into it many times and certainly there are better times for going to the Fort than others...price wise!

The whole idea of staying on site at Disney is the ability to go back and forth to your RV as many times as your heart desires to check on the Pet's, to have a quick bite, take a swim in the middle of the day or take a nap. Your aren't going to have that same ability staying elsewhere. You to pay for what you get but at the Fort you get plenty! IMHO
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
I only wanted to stay there so I could go to the park and get back and forth easily to my dogs who will be in the camper.

Is that not worth the premium to stay at Wilderness? Having the option of checking on your pets at your convenience and not worrying about them is certainly going to make your time in the park much more pleasant. When you figure in the money saved on parking, etc. it's not really excessive.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't theme park parking like $15??

Free for Disney guests.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
Well you know I just get really tired of campgrounds soaking people for every singe penny they can get. We've been on the road now since May and I will have to say when we find a home, the RV is going away. It's just not what it used to be. My aggravation is charging enough that they should give you a actual ROOM, and then slamming you with more money because you have a pet. The pet DOES NOT cost the campground anything extra. And certainly a cat IN the rv that never comes out costs them nothing.But these campgrounds continue to soak campers.Was curious as to weather this campground searched you vehicle for anything else they can charge you for. Sorry, but I'm on my last nerve trying just to camp without going broke. I agree with the poster who said a night or 2 was enough in this campground. I only wanted to stay there so I could go to the park and get back and forth easily to my dogs who will be in the camper.
Well why not stay in public parks if the private parks are so expensive? If you're 62 or older, you can get the Geezer Pass which gives you free admission to all National Parks and Historic sites and half price camping at any federal campground.Many state parks are very reasonable. In Pa,it's $26 a night with electric. 4 years ago,we camped in a South Carolina SP with water and electric for $18 a night.

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
We did that few years ago. Nice place a little tight in some sites. If staying awhile Rent the golf cart..there is a lot of walking.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
You are allowed cats and all kinds of animal pets.

Never let rumors lead you astray. Call them directly if you really want the information.

Check this site out

http://www.fortfiends.net/search/
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
luvmydogs wrote:
Thank you all for your opinions. The judgements werent much appreciated. I got different info from the campground itself and didnt much want to take my chances of being thrown out for the cats. But as one poster suggested I did finda very close campground who welcomes my animals at no extra charge and I dont have to hide anyone.

Close is no comparison. I did not originally understand this until I stayed at Fort Wilderness.
You can either choose to stay on Disney Property or not!.
There is no comparison to being on Disney Property and having access to the Disney Transportation system and other Disney Property's vs. staying outside of the Disney umbrella
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your opinions. The judgements werent much appreciated. I got different info from the campground itself and didnt much want to take my chances of being thrown out for the cats. But as one poster suggested I did finda very close campground who welcomes my animals at no extra charge and I dont have to hide anyone.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed there many times with dogs and cats. The fee was $5.00 per night, and when you're paying upwards of $110 per night, $5.00 isn't going to break the bank. As was posted previously, sometimes they charge the pet fee, sometimes they don't. The cats were never an issue, and stayed in the camper. I've seen many RV's with cats there, allowed or not. Fort Wilderness is a very nice campground with lots of facilities, and staying there is definitely a positive experience. Remember, if you stay off-site, parking fees run about $20.00 per day, and getting to the parks can be a real hassle. The traffic in that area can be horrible.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fort Wilderness at Disney World is a whole different experience. Expensive, yes, but consider all the perks you get before reaching that decision. I yearn to make my way back there from So. Cal!

Twenty years ago when I stayed on site in a tent for 10 nights, they actually supplied a free kennel( before allowing pets within the loops). All I can say is its something to experience.....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)