cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BEST Beach Front (or close to it) Camping on the East Coast

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
List your top 3 BEST Beach Front (or close to it) Campgrounds on the East Coast. May have been done before on the Forum but hey it's summer...this is the time to make plans for this year and next year. Plus we need new places to explore!

Here's mine:
1) Bluewater Key
2) Edisto
3) Jetty Park

Honorary Mentions:
*Any Myrtle Beach Campgrounds
*Red Coconut in Fort Myers..but it's been yrs.
*Topsail (Florida...even though it's a hike)

**Safe Summer Travels**

PS...really looking for a great Gulf side RV campground (prefer full hook-up)?
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***
17 REPLIES 17

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas/NH wrote:
You guys missed the best... Hampton Beach State Park (NH). This one wins hands down! Well, it must be the best since you actually have to wait for someone to die before you can make reservations there. The attractions: only the finest gravel (parking lot style) sites, all 20 of them. 100,000 of your closest friends on any giving weekend to help you calibrate the Beach. As if that wasn't enough to enchant you, should you need to run out and grab some quick supplies at the local store, it's only 2.5 hrs away or 3 miles...

Yup, there's nothing like camping at the Beach!

Oh! did I forget to mention the first weekend in September is the Seafood festival... You'll get to meet an additional 500,000 more friends. And the quick little trip to the local store is now 4 hrs away. Yup, got to love the beach.

I have been in that area, gridlock on the weekends.

As your probably aware. Just south is Salisbury Beach State Reservation. Area is not as $$$$$ as Hampton

Gated state campground, not as crowded, 2 beaches, Park rangers make routine patrols, traffic much more manageable.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas/NH wrote:
You guys missed the best... Hampton Beach State Park (NH). This one wins hands down! Well, it must be the best since you actually have to wait for someone to die before you can make reservations there. The attractions: only the finest gravel (parking lot style) sites, all 20 of them. 100,000 of your closest friends on any giving weekend to help you calibrate the Beach. As if that wasn't enough to enchant you, should you need to run out and grab some quick supplies at the local store, it's only 2.5 hrs away or 3 miles...

Oh! did I forget to mention the first weekend in September is the Seafood festival... You'll get to meet an additional 500,000 more friends. And the quick little trip to the local store is now 4 hrs away. Yup, got to love the beach.

Maybe you need to come down south a bit. Portsmouth Island - Cape Lookout National Seashore on the NC Outer Banks. Twenty miles of unspoiled and uninhabited beach accessible only by boat or private vehicle ferry. Bring everything with you though as the only thing you can buy there is ice from the Park Service Office.

The ferry holds six vehicles max

Find a spot between high tide line and the dunes

Remember - ABOVE high tide line

Best sunrises - EVER

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Being public CG folks...

Think I liked Frisco on OBX the best so far, not to be confused with Frisco Woods across the road.

Cobscook, Hunting Island, Manatee Springs, and Fisherman's Memorial would be up there too.

Still an awful lot we haven't tried though.

Had my wallet stolen at Hampton Beach.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Edisto Beach SP, SC

Gamble Rogers SRA, FL

St Joseph Peninsula SP, FL

The links will explain why they are our favorites.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been there yet, but Massey's Landing looks nice.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ho Hum in Carabelle FL. Not much more than a shell parking lot on the Gulf of Mexico, but it's right on the gulf.

Sunrise over the gulf from the gulf-front sites.

View out the windshield.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Hatteras
Myrtle Beach Trav-L-Park

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our way to Salisbury State Reservation (MA) so I can't comment on the sites yet but we recently enjoyed:
Scusset Beach State Reservation (MA) E/W near Cape Cod and Boston, short walk to beach and cape cod canal
Horseneck Beach State Reservation (MA) My favorite so far - dry camping but sites right on the beach
Hammonasset State Park (CT) E/W short walk to the beach

Best of Previously enjoyed:
Bahia Honda State Park - Keys, sites on the beach
Long Key State Park - Keys, sites on the beach
Gamble Rogers State Park - FL, sites with view of beach
Fort Pickens Fed Park - FL, short walk to beach
St. Andrews State Park - FL, short walk to beach
St. George Island - FL, short walk to beach
Hunting Island State Park - SC, on the beach my favorite beach park ever
Assateague National Seashore - MD, my favorite fall camping spot
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double ditto re
"Huntington Beach State Park (SC) - a short walk via path & boardwalk to the beach, but being back a bit does give most campsites some shade from the trees."

Other than that we don't stay near beaches anymore.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long Key State Park in the Florida Keys, (in the winter months)

The front or back of your RV is about 20 feet from the Atlantic
Look to the left in the Am and see the sun rise, and look the right in the evening and see it go down

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gamble Rodgers State Park in Flagler Beach Fl.

Beverly Beach Camptown at Beverly Beach Fl.

Huguenot Park JAX FL.
fish from your patio no hookups.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Only been to 3 beachfront campgrounds, all very good in their own way:

Assateague State Park (MD) - just across the dunes from the ocean, plenty of beach for everyone. No shade in the campground. Only 1 loop has electric. The adjacent National Park is good, too, but no hookups or hot showers.

Huntington Beach State Park (SC) - a short walk via path & boardwalk to the beach, but being back a bit does give most campsites some shade from the trees.

Jetty Park (FL) - you have to cut through the day use parking lot to get to the beach, and the beach is considerably more crowded than the other two parks mentioned above, but it's a pretty good county park for the price, considering how popular Florida is in winter.

I guess there is one more that I stayed at - Kathryn Abbey Hannah Park (Jacksonville, FL) - but didn't really sample the beach since it was early March and rather cool when I passed through. Big park, and you probably need to drive or bicycle to the beach from the campground. Should be good if you're there when the weather is right.

EDIT : Almost forgot Fort DeSoto (FL), although the beach is also a drive from the campground. Great park.
2013 RT 190-Popular

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (beach front)
Camp Hatteras RV Resort & Campground, NC (beach front)
Salisbury Beach State Park, MA (beach front)
Assateague State Park, MD (beach front)
Fishermen's State Park and Campground, RI (close to it)
Paradise Park Resort Campground, Old Orchard Beach, Maine (close to it)
Hid'n Pines Family Campground, Old Orchard Beach, Maine (close to it)

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)