cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CG recommendation Chatanooga area

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are including the Chatanooga area in our Fall trip this year. Would welcome your experiences in the Full Service RV parks nearby. Will be traveling in 24'MH with slides and toad. Would like open space for use of Sat TV but not a deal breaker. Also, would appreciate info on what to do while there. I'm a true History Buff, particularly Civil War, which is why were going here. Also like to 'see the countryside' - wander away from typical touristy type places. Love local taverns with good food. We will have the car, so anything within reasonable distance (not needing an overnight stay) is good with us! Thanks for the help.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
13 REPLIES 13

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark and Linda wrote:
Raccoon Mountain RV Park..off of I-24. Nice area...not far from Look Out Mountain. The Aquarium is nice, the Battlefield is just south near Fort Orgelthorpe, GA. The Tennessee Valley Railroad is in town plus the Chattanooga Choo Choo. The Tram runs around downtown...

http://www.raccoonmountain.com/

X2 on Raccoon Mountain RV Park. We stayed here for a couple of nights last month. Sites are not very large (KOA equivalent), but it is wooded and comfortable. Biggest advantage is proximity to both the town and Lookout Mountain.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Both of my suggestions are not full service RV parks, but they do have a dump station, and the sites have electric and water hookups. Shellmound RV Park and Marion County Park are both on Lake Nickajack, the Marion County Park RV sites are right on the water. Shellmound RV Park is concessionaire operated for the TVA. DW and I stayed at Shellmound for six months during the winter and spring a few months ago, the camp concessionaire is a family who were always ready to make sure we were comfortable and happy. Both parks are west of Chattanooga off I-24. Only a half hour away from downtown Chattanooga.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger431 wrote:
I enjoyed Harrison Bay SP. Looking for some other parks in the area as well. My oldest son goes to UTC, so finding good campgrounds around there would be great.

Have you looked at the Georgia State Parks? Fort Mountain near Chatsworth, GA is a nice park, up in the mountains with a lake.
Mark

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed Harrison Bay SP. Looking for some other parks in the area as well. My oldest son goes to UTC, so finding good campgrounds around there would be great.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Although not a full hookup campground, we like cloudland canyon SP on the south end of lookout mountain. We did everything in that area from Cloudland. Water and electric.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
A few lesser known spots. Ringgold Gap, where Gen. Patrick Cleburne stopped the Union army after the battle of Missionary Ridge. Near the gap is the depot. The walls are made of several kinds of different materials as the holes were filled after the damage from the battle of Ringgold Gap. Just south of there down US-41 is the Catoosa County museum The Old Stone Church. Was used as a hospital during the war. The floor is stained with blood in one corner. Also just north of Ringgold gap on GA-151 is the site where the General was recaptured. Not much there, but there is a marker.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Travel L Park. It is very close to Battlefield Parkway.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Raccoon Mountain RV Park..off of I-24. Nice area...not far from Look Out Mountain. The Aquarium is nice, the Battlefield is just south near Fort Orgelthorpe, GA. The Tennessee Valley Railroad is in town plus the Chattanooga Choo Choo. The Tram runs around downtown...

http://www.raccoonmountain.com/
Mark

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
...Love local taverns with good food...
We have been to Chattanooga a few times. Take a look at the Chattanooga Brewing Company, Terminal Brewhouse, Big River Grille and Brewing Works and World of Beer. There are a couple of other microbreweries in the area but we have not been to them. Some serve food, others do not.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Holiday Travl Park is the best bet in Chattanooga but if you need a specific type of site like satellite friendly, you need to call and talk to them and not book it online. Sites are a bit tight but still the best park with full hookups. Camping World does have a park but read reviews.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Holiday Travel Park on the east side of Chattanooga last time we were there. It's very flat and nice sized camping spots, and a fenced in dog park.
http://chattacamp.com/
We also stayed at the KOA and it's pretty but a hilly windy road to get to it. Some of the sites aren't very level being in the hills. The people were very nice though and let us change spots when we didn't like our sloping site. 🙂

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
we usually stay at a KOA on I-59 just across the border in GA. no tV reception if that is required. has pull thrus. fairly high up mountain.
bumpy