cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Cabins/Cottages - where to fine them.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to do something different this spring and spend a couple of months on the road, but without an RV. My first cut was doing condo's and extended stay hotels, but I think we would miss the RV lifestyle too much. There's something with being in a park, and going for a walk among other RV'ers that you don't get with a hotel or condo.

That got me thinking about some of the parks we've been in that had cabins/cottages which they rented out. The problem is we just stumble onto them, I have never seen a source you could go to, and find who has them.

Any of you out there know of a one stop source where these cabins/cottages are listed. Otherwise I'll be doing the old hunt and pecking the internet.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
18 REPLIES 18

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
pawatt wrote:
You could by a pretty nice Rv for what 2 months in cabins will cost.

Not exactly true if you do long term stays. For example, in Rockport there is a park that cost us $450/month for FHU. They also had nice cottages for $850 a month. Hard to buy a "pretty nice RV" for the difference in price. Then when you also factor into the RV equation fuel, preventive maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and breakdowns you get another picture once again. What you do get for your RV dollar is freedom. Hard to put a price on that.

Plus you also lose the interest on the money spent on the rv combined with the depreciation,not cheap.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While at the Pomona show we stopped at the KOA area and met the guy who owns the company that builds many of the KKs for KOA(at least out here). There is a wide variety of KKs available from basic to luxury. His company made the cabins that Santa Barbara County Parks. They are trailer mounted and are either std or ADA compliant. Check the KOA directory for availability.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Gulf in Destin FL has very nice cabins for rent.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
States I know of with cabins/cottages/yurts: Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Delaware, Florida.

States that use reserve america - Cabins are easy to find and reserve (just search for cabins/lodgings in those states) reserveamerica.com

States that don't use reserve america - you must go to the state parks website (PA and WV of those above).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Go to www.woodalls.com
search for a city and state
on the left side of the listings, check the box that says "onsite rentals (cabins, etc)
scroll down and press the "filter" red box

Also, you can also search on www.koa.com KOA's have camping cabins (no bathroom) or cottages with kitchenettes and bathrooms.

Bingo!!! Thank you. Also, thank you to everyone else that added to this thread.

I didn't know Encore had rentals till now, that was a good bonus to keep up my sleeve.

I knew some states had rental places, I just would love to know which states offered it. So thank you for added that information and if there are more of them I would love to know.

Based on a completely different thread about a state ran snowbird park I sent off an e-mail asking if they had rentals. This is the reply I got, who knew.

"Thank you for your inquiry! We do rent our cabins & cottages daily, weekly & monthly. March is our peak season rate. We have several types of cabins & cottages available. We have small & large woods cabins. The small woods cabin is a studio with 2 full size beds. It is 723.72 per week or 734.82 monthly. The large woods cabins in a 2 bedroom 1 bath. That runs 906.87 per week but is not available for a monthly rental. We have several 2 bedroom 1 bathroom cabins on the lake which run 1034.52 per week or 915.75 monthly."

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.woodalls.com
search for a city and state
on the left side of the listings, check the box that says "onsite rentals (cabins, etc)
scroll down and press the "filter" red box

Also, you can also search on www.koa.com KOA's have camping cabins (no bathroom) or cottages with kitchenettes and bathrooms.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:

Not exactly true if you do long term stays. For example, in Rockport there is a park that cost us $450/month for FHU. They also had nice cottages for $850 a month. Hard to buy a "pretty nice RV" for the difference in price. Then when you also factor into the RV equation fuel, preventive maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and breakdowns you get another picture once again. What you do get for your RV dollar is freedom. Hard to put a price on that.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Many of Tennessee State parks have Cabins, and or Villas. Check State Parks sites for details.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the encore parks have full service cabins. Encore seems to have RV parks all over.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
John&Joey wrote:
Those KOA Kabins seem a little more primitive than what I was hoping for. I was thinking more like a cabin/cottage with kitchen, bath, and a living type area. Something that you could live in and not feel like you're roughing it.

The KOA cabins come in different sizes. Some do have bathrooms, kitchens, and living areas. You just need to check each KOA to see if they have the larger cabins.
We stayed at a private independent RV park in Ruidosa last June. I reserved a "cabin" for my daughter, grandson, and friend. It was more like a luxury apartment with a king bedroom, queen bedroom, kitchen, and large living room for $85/night. They are out there, just a matter of finding them.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Many Virginia State Parks that have campsites also have camping cabins and lodges. Other states may vary, but could be worth checking if a park setting is a priority.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Type in Cottage or Cabin in the search field

http://www.vrbo.com/

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Those KOA Kabins seem a little more primitive than what I was hoping for. I was thinking more like a cabin/cottage with kitchen, bath, and a living type area. Something that you could live in and not feel like you're roughing it.