cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in VT, NH, ME, NY Looking for suggestions

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer
WE are trying to plan a trip from Ohio ending up north of Albany NY this early summer, any thoughts on where to go, or not to go? Planning on stops in VT, ME, NH, Up state NY. We like bike riding, hiking, general exploring. Appreciate any thoughts. We camp with 32"TT, as we are drifting around, different types of campgrounds are good. We do a lot of state park camping in our area. Full hookups not required.
18 REPLIES 18

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Vermont suggestion...Lake Dunmore Kampersville.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Two suggestions... Acadia National Park in Maine - Fantastic "bike" paths, called "carriage roads", you can spend days riding. Hiking, mild to strenuous climbing, views around every corner. Bar Harbor is in Acadia, if you want to do the tourist thing there.

Fort Ticonderoga at the north end of Lake George in New York State. Excellent historical site - colonial fort, one of the oldest (if not oldest?) forts in existence in the continental USA. Worth the visit if you are at all interested in colonial history.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotcha, thanks!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
OP, where are you staying in Albany? We're headed up to Lake Champlain this summer and I plan to spend a couple days in Albany. My mom grew up there, wife and kids have never been.

Trying to research places near the southwest of the city.

We are visiting my mom's family farm in Berne, east of Albany. I really posted Albany as a place people would know about as a base line location. I really dont have much to offer for camping or activities there, as our main activity is to visit family. The extended family has always talked about Blue Mountain Lake, north of Albany. Have a good trip.

Spacejunk63
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Spacejunk63 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We've been to Letchworth, great place. Good to know re VT and hookups, or lack there of, were good with some dry camping. The Burlington bike path, Paved? We are Road bikers, not MTN.

The Burlington part is paved, the rest is (mostly?) nice packed gravel, from what I understand. It's reasonable for (many) road bikes at any rate, at least many of the recreational/city variety as opposed to road racing or similar, relatively fragile bikes.

North Beach campground (operated by the City of Burlington) has hookups and is right on the bike path--it literally cuts through the park though not the campground specifically.

Thanks, we have added the north beach campground to on of our stays, after a couple of days at lake placid.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, where are you staying in Albany? We're headed up to Lake Champlain this summer and I plan to spend a couple days in Albany. My mom grew up there, wife and kids have never been.

Trying to research places near the southwest of the city.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
I suggest this to everyone asking that question: Do a Google search for `________ tourism' and put the city, state, area or whatever in the blank and read the experts suggestions.

Yes, I have noticed that google is your go to answer for the last decade or so.
Why? Are you just trying to be freakin condescending or you just love to be a @&^?
You are not helpful or funny in the least!
Forum boards are an exercise in the social arts. Discussion, transfer of ideas, just being friendly,like at the diner over a cup of coffee.
If you do not feel like joining in this social interchange, then why do you bother answering at all?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Old Forge Camping Resort in Old Forge NY (approx 1 hour NNE of Utica). Plenty to see/do hike/bike/canoe. Water park next door. W/E (30A).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Go to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area, tons of hiking, wide shoulders for road biking, Iron Man is held there. Also paddle sports, tons of great canoeing, we stay at the North Pole Resorts but there are several NYS campgrounds in the area. Have fun.

Ditto on North Pole. We were seasonal there last summer while I had a retirement gig at one of the local canoe outfitters.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
In around the southern beaches in Maine, we liked Ne're Family Beach campground in Old Orchard Beach. We truly enjoyed OOB because of the "old timey" feel of the town. Although there are many large, commercial campgrounds in the area, this one is a bare bones experience, but it is FHU. There are lots of biking in the area, but I can't really give you a specific path. The campground is right across the road from the local lobster pound, so dinner is pretty easy. Make sure you hit the original LL Bean in Freeport.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spacejunk63 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We've been to Letchworth, great place. Good to know re VT and hookups, or lack there of, were good with some dry camping. The Burlington bike path, Paved? We are Road bikers, not MTN.

The Burlington part is paved, the rest is (mostly?) nice packed gravel, from what I understand. It's reasonable for (many) road bikes at any rate, at least many of the recreational/city variety as opposed to road racing or similar, relatively fragile bikes.

North Beach campground (operated by the City of Burlington) has hookups and is right on the bike path--it literally cuts through the park though not the campground specifically.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake area, tons of hiking, wide shoulders for road biking, Iron Man is held there. Also paddle sports, tons of great canoeing, we stay at the North Pole Resorts but there are several NYS campgrounds in the area. Have fun.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Maine: Acadia NP & Bar Harbor (Bar Harbor KOA), Freeport area, southern beaches, Baxter State Park area
NH: White Mountains (Danforth Bay Camping Resort)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Spacejunk63 wrote:

Are you a fan of baseball? Look into Hartwick Highlands Campground in
Cooperstown, NY. Besides the Hall Of Fame about 50 minutes away you have Catskill Scenic Rail Trail and Erie Canal Cruises, both make great day trips.

In Copake NY you have Copake Camping Resort, down the road is Scenic Harlem Valley rail trail which is a must, while on the rail trail check out Bash Bish Falls and Copake Iron Works Museum.

Both rail trails are extremely scenic, pack a lunch while on the trails :C

Pik from catskill scenic trail

Pik from Harlem Vally rail trail

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)