cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston, SC where to stay and things to do?

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,
Everyone has been so helpful in the past with ideas on where to stay and things to do when I have asked. We would like to go to Charleston, SC and would like to know your thoughts, ideas and places to camp. Thanks again, and GO!
Just the 2 of us!
Looking for something new ??
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL (sold)
2013 Nissan Armada SL
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y (Traded but loved for 7 years!)
2004 Ford Expedition XL (Traded but loved for 8 years!)
Ready to hit the road!!
24 REPLIES 24

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for James Island County Park CG. We loved it, our daughters AND dogs loved it. They have a fabulous dog park.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
the mt pleasant koa is nice. DW and i stayed there last New Years for 3 nights. It's a good home base

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If unable to get a site at James Island County Park CG, either KOA in the area are nice enough to use as a base CG. But try James Island, first.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Charleston and stayed at the James Island county campground. All the sites are flat, treed and easy access. A shuttle runs everyday to the downtown visitors center and then four intercity busses depart from there.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned. James Island is considered the best Cg to stay in. Easy drive to town, and they have a shuttle. Mt Pleasant KOA is next on the list.

Things to do? There are deals offered for combination carriage tours with boat harbor tours. A great way to learn about the city. Ft Sumter is a must do. And believe it or not. Much can be learned from taking a Ghost Walk tour. And as mentioned. Just wonder around the historic District.

There is also Boone Hall Plantation. If you are old enough to remember. The Mini Series "North and South" was filmed there. And after your day is through, and relaxing is on your mind. There is a little known water front park UNDER the big bridge on the MT Pleasant side of the river. Has a ice cream shop, a super long pier with swings, and tables. You can fish, or just sit and watch the ships come in. For us it is a must do every night.

Enjoy, and do take your time in the city.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all of the responses do a Google search for `Charleston, SC tourism' to get some ideas. Here is the towns official site: https://www.charlestoncvb.com/
We'd like to make it there one of these days. We like guided tours to get the most out of the time spent at a location.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have stayed at the local KOA, Nice Park easy to navigate, very helpful staff. Relatively close to the "Tourist" attractions as well. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We like James Island County Park campground. It may be difficult to impossible to get a reservation there if you're trying to go in the next three months, though.

Our favorite thing to do in Charleston is to just go to the historic district and wonder around, eat at different restaurants, etc. One of the carriage tours is nice to help familiarize yourself with the area. With teenagers along you might consider Patriot's Point, a visit to one of the plantations or a drive out to one of the area beaches (Isle of Palms or Foley Beach).
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a tour of Fort Sumter, There are numerous tours of the city, A haunted Jail tour, and maybe a sailing trip on the water to watch a sunset over the city, or a paddlewheeler dinner and music cruise. Day trips to Congaree National Park, Savannah (see the cemetary).and do try a "Low country boil" while you are there.
Myrtle Beach is a little touristy for my taste but there are many tourist venues there as well and a giant sky wheel you may enjoy.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would help us with recommendations if we knew what your interests were. Herself and I like to visit churches and historic sites as well as mountains; we also go to some music festivals.

Charleston's Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is beautiful. We also enjoyed the Gateway Walk. It's not well known but it's a shady walk through some of old Charleston history complete with old cemeteries. You can get a map to it from the Charleston Visitor's Center.

For places to stay I've found using Allstays.com has been very reliable and up to date. The feedback on the places is helpful too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus