cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disappointed in My Heretofore wonderful TX State Parks

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
First time I guess I ever did this although I'd SWEAR I did it two years ago & it worked just fine.

Had a reservation for 1 night. Then had a separate reservation for 4 more nights starting after the first reservation. Same name, same type of site, same area of park.

They couldn't combine them! Said I could stay the one night, & then come get a number tomorrow @ 8am for site release starting @ 9AM. BLECH!! This is just what I was trying to avoid. And since I have a Class C now that means son has to wake up, and we BOTH have to go. And I've stood in their line before and if I don't want to still be there at 11AM I'd better get up & be there @ 7. Double BLECH!!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH
16 REPLIES 16

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I have never found a TX SP I loved as much as Garner. But I am a "water-holic". Inks Lake runs 2nd, but it's equally as crowded & noisey. And I WISH I could find a park that had all these things I love but they just don't!

I love the hiking @ Garner, when I can stir out of my float on the river. I love the clear cool water, not murky brown from tannin. I love the little Axis Deer we always see after twilight, plus the skunks, armadillos, & raccoons. I love the fact that the river is at MOST about a 1/2 a block away AND there's plenty of shade available from the gigantic Bald Cypress that line the banks. I love watching the crazy ppl (mostly young men!) climb the dead tree at Rocky Beach to jump off, with ppl down below cheering them on or taunting them. I love playing the mini-golf course and trying to beat my son (hasn't happened in 7 years now). I love the people-watching -- even saw a family that brought a pet DUCK with them yesterday! I love going to the nightly dance & watching the young & old enjoy it. I love the grilled hamburgers @ their grill. I love to see the millions of stars above cuz it's so far out the sky is BLACK.

I'm soooo glad EVERYONE does not like Garner, or it'd be even HARDER to get into than it is now--LOL.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
We have visited Garner during Thanksgiving break and Christmas break. It's a peaceful place in the off season. That being said, I still prefer Lost Maples or South Llano River SP.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
At one time Garner was our favorite State Park.

My FIL was in the CCC'S and helped build Garner.
We were members of Friends of Garner for several years.

No More. It is so crowded we just do not go there.
Its a shame Garner was such a nice park. Lots of memories of the
dances every Saturday night. Lots of memories of camping there.
Lots of memories of all the changes. from the different entrances to all the additions of camping areas.

But no more. We have other favorite State Parks we go to.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Garner was never my favorite park.It has been awhile since I last camped there with my boys in a tent. I just looked at the map.I was amazed by how many more sites they added. It was already a crowded and bustling place. Makes me really appreciate the smaller and quieter parks like Lockhart and Palmetto!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Javi1 wrote:
Well that confirms the rumors I've heard about Garner. I've only been once and that was back in the 60's. I've heard it was loud, rowdy and always crowded so we have stayed away. Too many other parks to play that game.

Great place for teens in the summer; i.e., LOUD. We took church youth group there back in the day. We're empty-nesters now (with no grandkids yet), so we prefer other parks in the area.
DH+DW 36+ years

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Well that confirms the rumors I've heard about Garner. I've only been once and that was back in the 60's. I've heard it was loud, rowdy and always crowded so we have stayed away. Too many other parks to play that game.
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Puzzled? Must be missing something here.

Why didn't you just make the original reservation for five days?

Garner is THE most-visited park in the State. And they only have about 60 sites in Old Garner, where we *always* stay. They are 100% booked during the summer, usually by March. BUT..... There are cancellations of course. And if you can get ONE day at OG, they can, in my 7-Summer experience, add on days from cancellations, once you're there. So if you have just 1 day you're good. Which is why I made the first reservation.

Last week I checked just for grins & surprisingly they had 2-3 sites available in OG for the next 4 days. Hence the 2 separate reservations. Now I know I should have just stuck with my original method & asked for an extra 4 nights when I got here. But that could be a cr@p shoot too & we COULD have to stand in line again OR move to New Garner, which, although nice, is not where we want to camp.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Puzzled? Must be missing something here.

Why didn't you just make the original reservation for five days?
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
What happens if you make a reservation at Garner using the online system, or can you? I've never stayed at Garner, but I have never had to stand in line after making a reserve online in any other park I've stayed in.

I DID use Tx SP online reservation system. You always have to stand in line for Garner. What got me is I knew I had to stand in line for the July 28 ressie but why couldn't they just go ahead & tack on the ressie for the next 4 days, which was for the same type of site, in the same part of the park, and under the same name?
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
What happens if you make a reservation at Garner using the online system, or can you? I've never stayed at Garner, but I have never had to stand in line after making a reserve online in any other park I've stayed in.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
happybooker1 wrote:
lizbard wrote:
Which Texas park?

Garner SP. And these were Park Rangers -- I've never seen anyone BUT Park Rangers working in their offices. They said it was the 'rule' for all SPs. Although like I said I was almost positive I did the same 2 years ago but when I mentioned that the lady told me I must be mistaken because that's never been the way they did it.

Oh well. Here I am standing in line since 7:30 to get a ticket.

It's been my observation over the years that Garner works differently than the other parks. I would be surprised if you ran into this in other parks in the TPWD system.
DH+DW 36+ years

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER come to Garner on a Saturday especially! Some ppl camp out in chaise lounges on the patio all night to be first in line. And I was just @ Inks & the Ranger told me a man had been there since 3 AM that morning to get 2 lakefront sites.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Javi1 wrote:
I've never stood in line at any Texas SP for a reservation and I've been booking on line ever since they started the process. I've called and added night on either end of reservations several times without a hitch. Not sure why you would have two reservations like that...

X2
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Must be something unique to Garner SP, as I've never stood in line at any Texas SP for a reservation and I've been booking on line ever since they started the process. I've called and added night on either end of reservations several times without a hitch. Not sure why you would have two reservations like that...
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)