cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disney Fort Wilderness vacation Discount

campincarp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All! Its been a few years since I have been on the forum but I still remembered my username & password!!!!! My RVing family (wife & 3 kids) have all grown up. The 2nd graduates this year. Everyone wants to make one last visit to Fort Wilderness for a last grand vacation as a family. My question to you guys is if anyone can give me any tips on discounts available. There are quite a few available but nothing for Fort Wilderness- {with their high ticket prices, $90+ per night for a RV site is just a little salty for us}. I would certainly appreciate any tips- I been out of the game for a while........ One thing has not changed- The Mouse Is Still Very Greedy!!!

thanks!

CampinCarp
campincarp
21 REPLIES 21

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
All true. Disney Corp pursued this tactic because of the lessons learned from Disneyland and California politicians. Private interests quickly bought up land immediately adjacent to DL and hoped to resell it to Disney Corp at massively inflated prices. The CA political machine sought to exact huge revenues on DL seeing it as a source of unlimited $ for personal pork barrel projects and so when DW was in planning, Reedy Creek was the solution.

Now it's 40+ years later and those who govern Disney Corp have changed the ethos of Disney in certain aspects and are using similar political tactics. Such is the stuff of history lessons.

joe b. wrote:

Disney has no land restrictions in Florida. When WDW bought the land, they had the state legislature set up a special district for them. They have all the same rights as a town or county. They can operate their own school system, police department, waste disposal, water treatment plants, fire departments, EMS ambulances and electrical power stations. Their Improvement District also allows them to operate a nuclear power plant which they have never shown any interest in applying to build.
However they contract with the near by sheriff's department for police services, even though they have a security force of over 3,000 personnel that work for WDW.

There is a saying in Florida, that what the Mouse wants, the mouse gets. With a daily payroll of over 70,000 employees at WDW, they are the largest single site employer in the state.

All the land, etc, is owned in the name of the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The land was originally purchased under the name of the Reedy Creek Ranch, to keep prices under control. It was only later the land sellers found out they had sold to Disney.
You may have seen their trucks running around the Fort campground, if you have been there.

The Improvement Dist. has a board of directors that hold monthly meetings open to the public, just like county commishners would do. To be on the board, you have to own land within the Improvement District. There are only 5 parcels of land available and all are owned by the operating officers of WDW, so they are the Board of Directors.
WDW's Improvement Board has also chosen to let the two Florida counties where the are located to assess and collect property taxes. Last year, the two counties received approx $125,000,000 from WDW in property taxes. Both counties fall all over themselves to do what the Mouse wants, like the state does.

If WDW decides to increase the size of Fort Wilderness campground, no one is going to say no to them, not the state, not the two counties and certainly not the Improvement District, which probably has the legal authority to approve it. Zoning and building codes also come under the Improvement Districts areas of control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District

This is from the Reedy Creek web site
http://rcid.org/About.aspx
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disney uses a variable pricing schedule based upon demand. For example we stayed the first week of Dec and paid "only" $80 per night. The next week it jumped to $100 per and topped out around $180 per by the 1st.

Point is be flexible on dates and you can save a ton.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

pigeons101
Explorer
Explorer
Become a Disney travel agent and sale enough to earn 1/2 off your stay. Then you also get a few park passes for free. Fort Wilderness might be more $$$ to stay there but there is nothing else like it.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, joe.b very interesting and thanks for those links. Kind of neat to read after having been there last year to see it in person. Will never return because we hated it but none the less still interesting.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I often wonder how many businesses in the US are also governmental units. While there are some other Improvement Districts in Florida, from what I understand, none of them even come close to what WDW has done with the Reedy Creek one. They can and do tax themselves to cover the cost of roads, water and sewer, power generation, etc, which must be a tax deduction for them. They also, as mentioned in the two links, have the right to condem and take property outside the Improvement District which they used once for land needed to build one of their many canals. They also have the authority to issue tax free bonds for needed improvement. A source of contention with some other government units in the state.

Seems like every couple of weeks I get an email from them offering a discount on one of the hotel properties but never on the Fort Campground. On our last stay at the Fort, ten days, I ended up paying 4 different nightly rates, bach in December. I sometimes think they used the same software to set their site prices that the airlines use for ticket prices. LOL last year, with lodging taxes added, we paid from a low of about $65 for a night to a high of about $125 a night for the same class of camp site. Of course, most were closer to the upper end. But we can pay about the same rates in the Keys.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
joe b.- very informative and thank you for the links.

Sort of a "self imposed land usage restriction" in order to maintain "environmental integrity in the developed to undeveloped ratio" as explained to me a lonnggg time ago when I asked an individual in the WDW loop as to why there weren't more loops in FW. Figured he knew what he was talking about since it sounded Walt Disney like.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Louisa State Park is in nearby Clermont and has some full hook up sites. You would have lots of spending money for WDW by staying some place that is much less expensive. It is an easy drive to WDW.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:
Discounts at FW are pretty much a thing of the past. Building new loops???? highly unlikely due to land restrictions. There are plans for a Disney Vacation Club timeshare by the old River Country section utilizing the shore and into the water. Don't recall seeing any RV sites.

Remember, the cheap prices are for smaller tent/pop-up site loops-1500 and 2000 with only water, electric and cable.

Disney has no land restrictions in Florida. When WDW bought the land, they had the state legislature set up a special district for them. They have all the same rights as a town or county. They can operate their own school system, police department, waste disposal, water treatment plants, fire departments, EMS ambulances and electrical power stations. Their Improvement District also allows them to operate a nuclear power plant which they have never shown any interest in applying to build.
However they contract with the near by sheriff's department for police services, even though they have a security force of over 3,000 personnel that work for WDW.

There is a saying in Florida, that what the Mouse wants, the mouse gets. With a daily payroll of over 70,000 employees at WDW, they are the largest single site employer in the state.

All the land, etc, is owned in the name of the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The land was originally purchased under the name of the Reedy Creek Ranch, to keep prices under control. It was only later the land sellers found out they had sold to Disney.
You may have seen their trucks running around the Fort campground, if you have been there.

The Improvement Dist. has a board of directors that hold monthly meetings open to the public, just like county commishners would do. To be on the board, you have to own land within the Improvement District. There are only 5 parcels of land available and all are owned by the operating officers of WDW, so they are the Board of Directors.
WDW's Improvement Board has also chosen to let the two Florida counties where the are located to assess and collect property taxes. Last year, the two counties received approx $125,000,000 from WDW in property taxes. Both counties fall all over themselves to do what the Mouse wants, like the state does.

If WDW decides to increase the size of Fort Wilderness campground, no one is going to say no to them, not the state, not the two counties and certainly not the Improvement District, which probably has the legal authority to approve it. Zoning and building codes also come under the Improvement Districts areas of control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District

This is from the Reedy Creek web site
http://rcid.org/About.aspx
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
With Disney and the Fort you just have to bite the bullet and go.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter got a cast member rate in Jan. 2012, but there was a short list of sites to start with and shorter due to occupancy. As we neared our checkout date, she ask about any Wilderness sites. Cast members are allowed to speak more freely to ea. other. There were no other discounts even for her, so we moved on.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
Since the mouse and AAA split ways the main discount at the fort is no longer. Last time we were down there we were able to save a significant amount being a AAA member, but apparently that is a thing of the past.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Fortfiends not fortfriends

Everything you would like to know.

As for the daily pass prices, yes they have gone up but most folks stay for multiple days and the multiple day passes are priced much better.

Ditto on not having to pay about $20 a day for parking and transportation to any of their locations is included. The local RV parks are not cheap.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Discounts at FW are pretty much a thing of the past. Building new loops???? highly unlikely due to land restrictions. There are plans for a Disney Vacation Club timeshare by the old River Country section utilizing the shore and into the water. Don't recall seeing any RV sites.

Remember, the cheap prices are for smaller tent/pop-up site loops-1500 and 2000 with only water, electric and cable.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any deals on camping, but mousesavers will give you all the info you will ever need and you may be able to save some on tickets

Here
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work