cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite COE park in your state

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking at my Camping with COE book and noticed a park marked that we've never been too so I'm sure I marked it from a recommendation from someone on this forum. This got me to thinking..why not share our favorite COE parks in our home states?? Plese share your's and why it the favorite.

I'll start with Sanders Cove on Pat Mayse Lake. It has pine trees, sites are roomy, and has good fishing (we're told anyway as we're not fishermen). I know once we were there and there was a fishing tournament was going on...That's the only negative we've had about it...The roar of boat motors early in the morning wasn't too enjoyable, but it didn't last long.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
96 REPLIES 96

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
Old Federal on Lake Lanier just outside Gainesville, GA. Great sites on the water, spred out, under the trees with its own boat ramp. Only bad thing is that it closes after Labor Day and the weather is still nice.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Strayhorn Landing on Tenkiller Ferry Lake. It is wooded and well shaded, on a high peninsula sticking out into the reservoir a few miles above the dam. Access to boat ramps and a concession marina. There is a loop road at the base of the peninsula, a few feet above the water when the reservoir is at storage level. The lake is usually clear, offers good fishing if you have a boat to get you to the right places.

Next favorite is either of the two developed CGs on Copan Lake, but only because it is close to home. The lake itself is shallow at conservation level, tends to be muddy when taken to flood control level, which can be often during storm season in south eastern Kansas. Because it is close to a major highway, it is easy to access and fills completely on summer weekends with visitors from four states. Many come to be rowdy. But as I said, being close makes it a favorite.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Brushy Creek and Buckhorn on Lake 'o The Pines right here in North East Texas.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not in Texas, but Blackwell Flats COE Recreation Area on the Kootenai River just below Libby Dam on Lake Koocanusa. About 17 mi NE of Libby, MT.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
In Pennsylvania,I would say Tioga-Hammond Lakes is really nice.But we also spent time at Burnsville and Sutton Lakes in West Virginia and they were nice as well.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a great one close to Hannibal, MO, not sure of the name, huge sites and mostly flat. Not our home state but we also really like Prairie Creek, just outside of Rogers, AR. It's hilly but really pretty, on Beaver Lake, decent sized rig sites are 73 - 79 only. There are other long sites closer to the lake but are on a tight loop or you have to back uphill to get in them. There's another COE there, Horseshoe Bend but it's about 12 miles out of town. We stayed at Dam West in Carlyle, IL this year, nice large sites on the lake with W & E. The spillway has big sites but take no reservations. Not many restaurants in the area but Wal Mart is right down the street.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
DeWayne Hayes here in Columbus, MS...it is located on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway. I believe they have around 100 sites. Lots of wooded areas, fishing, playground, showers, laundry. Very nice place to stay.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on West Thompson Lake COE

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Kendall Campground on south central Kentucky. Large, deep sites in the shade. Right at Lake Cumberland on the Wolf Creek Dam. Even when it is busy, it is fairly quiet.

Two boat ramps, one on each side of the dam. River fishing or Lake fishing, take your pick. Some of the best trout fishing on the east coast. The Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery is also there.

Eastbank, in Ga., is a close second.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory Creek just north of Dallas, TX. Also Old Federal just north of Atlanta,GA.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We were completely unaware of COE parks in Connecticut until last year. We stayed at West Thompson Lake COE and loved it. Clean, well run, great camp hosts. We are planning on returning, and looking up other COE parks.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta agree with sdianel, Ortona is a great place to spend a relaxing weekend. I have reservations there in early Nov. Another one on my list to go to is Eastbank which hopefully I'll get to early next summer. Have read about the many in Georgia and Tennessee and hope to one day get to those.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
There are several C.O.E. parks in N.W. N.C. on the W. Kerr Scott Reservoir near Wilkesboro, N.C., home of the MerleFest bluegrass festival.

Along the Savannah River, a natural border between GA and SC, the C.O.E. dammed sections and created three large lakes. There are approximately 15 C.O.E. parks with camping along a 120 mile stretch between Pendleton, S.C. and Thomson, GA. I spent 2 weeks each in 6 of them last year. Looking forward to another 6 in the future.

Also, about a mile north of Chattahoochee, Fl., there's Eastbank C.O.E. park on Lake Seminole just inside the GA. line. I've enjoyed all the C.O.E. parks. The natural ambiance has been unsurpassed and the fishing pleasurable. Can't beat the "geezer" pass rates either.:B
RVn Full-time

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't share any COE parks in Michigan because there aren't any! At least we have never heard of any and there are none listed in our 2013 COE Book. However, we do go to COE CG's in some of the other states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, for instance.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we like Proctor Lake in TX. a good fishing lake and some shady campgrounds.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.