cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm getting tired of El Nino.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The El Nino pattern is living up to it's reputation as a conveyor belt for storms across the southern US. Usually winter in Florida is the dry season, especially in southern FL. Most cold fronts come out of the north and stall out around Orlando. The few stronger ones usually push south of the keys with a hour of rain as it passes and a day of cold weather.

In ten years of Snowbirding in WPB I've only put my awning in three times because of thunder storm warnings in the cold fronts. I've already broken that record and I'm glad I did put it in. Having grown up here you could count on one hand the number for days where it rained all day in a year. While January has not broken that number YET and instead of less than 3" of rain... we are pushing 10" for the month, enough is enough.

With El Nino the fronts are coming out of the west across the gulf where it's picking up a lot of moisture... hence all the rain. I doubt TX is getting as much rain from the same front as by the time the front gets there, CA has sucked most of the moisture out of the front.

While it's serious when two are killed in Sarasota by a tornado or cars are blown around yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale, BUT I bet those in tornado alley would be happy with a E-1 that's less than 200' wide and stays on the ground for a couple of minutes. Must be a slow news day when the one yesterday makes the national news.

I know those of you in CA dealing with mud slides or you in the DC\NY areas dealing with record snow do not feel sorry for me but dang I can't do this all of the time. :B

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
49 REPLIES 49

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
pjsky wrote:
El Nino is having a big effect on Yuma AZ also. We live in Yuma six months and this is our eleventh year. It is the coolest, cloudiest, windiest winter season yet. Some here say it is the worst in 25 years.

You say worst; I say best. We really needed the water and could use a lot more!
Jeannie

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We're at Midway Campground on the Tamiami Trail near Ochopee for a week, arriving last Sunday. Yesterday and today have been rainy, but tomorrow promises to be mostly sunny and the current temp is 73 deg F. I think the lowest night time temp so far was 41 with most in the upper 50's and low 60's. With just two out of seven days being rainy, I'm not complaining at all. Next Sunday we leave for Bushnell where the sunny warm weather will continue for at least a few more days. I expect the park rain catchment pond next to our site will be near full by then, giving us a very nice "water front" view of the Sandhill cranes searching for a meal.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I know that many back east are having a lot of snow. we have rain every now and then here, but the mountains in eastern Oregon have received a lot of snow and they have closed the freeway a lot. the pass between eastern washington and seattle has been closed a lot also. I think the main reason we haven't had a lot of snow here in the high desert is I bought a new snow blower this year. never fails. at least I don't have to shovel rain.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Cool in the panhandle, but we expected that. Supposed to warm up this weekend.

I'm glad to hear that south Texas is balmy because we're headed that way.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Shoveling rain is getting old.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
With the worst winter in memory and the beating Canadians are taking on the dollar, this would be a good year to stay home.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
When its dry folks complain and when its wet others complain. All in all I'm glad I live in Florida
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
In South-TX, we are having one of the warmest winters in at least 3 years! A cold front will come in every 3 or 4 days, and then the temp goes right back up. Getting ready for spring to start in 2 or 3 weeks!

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Imagine how bad it could get if there really were global climate change. Thank goodness that could never happen.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
X'S TWO !!
We winter here in the Keys and have for the past fifteen years, and since November we have had only two "light and variable wind" days.
You can just about be assured that a front will come through once a week bringing two days or more of rain and possible thunder storms, followed by two more days of high winds and cool weather.

It is still better than being at elevation 3200 feet in the NC mountains with a temp. of ten degrees and a foot or more of snow.

Our kayaks are not happy only getting used a few times a week !
Jack L
Jack & Nanci

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
pjsky wrote:
El Nino is having a big effect on Yuma AZ also. We live in Yuma six months and this is our eleventh year. It is the coolest, cloudiest, windiest winter season yet. Some here say it is the worst in 25 years.

LOL --- Paul, I agree with everything but the wind. Come over the foothills to Dome Valley, if you want to get out of the wind. Still better than shoveling all the snow we have at home or dressing for -0ยฐ temps --- ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Head north to the Golden Isles in GA. It was sunny and 72 yesterday. Today will only be in the upper 50s, but it'll be in the mid to upper 60s tomorrow and the weekend. Early next week will be in the 70s. Today is the only day with rain in the 10 day forecast.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the rain here in Florida. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Been three days since I've seen the sun and add to that the 3 previous days of freezing temps.

The dogs have a severe case of cabin fever and making me crazy. But at least I know I don't have to shovel snow and the sun WILL come back out and it will be in the 70's soon.

Can't say that about being up North this time of year. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
60 yesterday here in western Oregon.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
pjsky wrote:
AMEN!! We're in Quartzsite and we're danged cold!!!!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend