cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KOA Philadelphia/West Chester - PA, Opinions?

Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Wilmington, DE. and this campground seems to be the most convenient. I have read the reviews on rvparkreviews. Looking at their RV sites on the website, they seem to be either in the woods, out in the open or on the edge of the woods. I know we don't want to be in the woods. We will not be spending much time at the campground as we have someplace to be and it will involve being away from the morning and coming back late at night for a few days. We do want to have full hookups and this provides that for us - rather than overnighting in a parking lot. Any opinions here about access to the campground, the condition, sites, etc.? For the amount of the current rates, I would expect it to be very good - is it?

Thanks.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road
15 REPLIES 15

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this year we stayed at Elk Neck State Park in Northeast MD. Not too far of a drive from Wilmington.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
What DocJ said! I missed a turn and the GPS re-routed me......onto a 1 lane road along side a beautiful river. Went for about 2 miles and got lucky because no one came from the other direction. No way either vehicle could pull off - someone was going to back for a long way.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

docj
Explorer
Explorer
linnemj wrote:
I suggest calling the campground for best routing since there one way (from W. Chester I think) there is a low clearance bridge.

Check the park's website for detailed directions covering the last couple of miles. Our trucker Garmin went crazy because the park is actually on a truck-restricted route. Until we figured that out we had been following a very circuitous route! :B
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
The most expensive KOA we have ever stayed at. It was clean, typical, and not special, except the price. Would not go back.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
2x Timberlane, right off I 295 exit 18 in Clarksboro NJ. It is generally full, so reservations are a must. It is not a "resort", some sites are close - others a bit more spacious, wooded but some open enough for sat - full hookups in good working order
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:
I think it was 3 years ago we stayed there. The sites where we were at were pretty open. No satellite probs. We were gone a lot into Philly for relatives. Never felt unsecure. Choose your route into the park carefully. DW from west coast swore some of the roads were made by Revolutionary soldiers.
Even though some open sky, not many spots in this KOA are satellite friendly.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
I think it was 3 years ago we stayed there. The sites where we were at were pretty open. No satellite probs. We were gone a lot into Philly for relatives. Never felt unsecure. Choose your route into the park carefully. DW from west coast swore some of the roads were made by Revolutionary soldiers.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
You could also check Lums Pond in Bear De. It is a state park but right now only has a handful of sites with electric & places to fill your water tank, but good news is( but probably to late) rumor has it they will all be full hook up sites next year. About a 20 minute ride to Wilmington depending on time of day & traffic.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
IMO,

Explorer
Explorer
jeomelia wrote:
The KOA is a very nice cg, but if you want a nice place just to set up and sleep look at Timerlane just across the river from Chester PA

http://www.timberlanecampground.com

We have stayed there a number of times when we have to be in the area.

Thank you for this suggestion. We looked at this campground in planning but as we are going to Delaware each day this would involve paying the toll on the Delaware River bridge twice (or four times if they charge both ways). That expense did not make this campground look worthwhile. It does look like a nice campground.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

jeomelia
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA is a very nice cg, but if you want a nice place just to set up and sleep look at Timerlane just across the river from Chester PA

http://www.timberlanecampground.com

We have stayed there a number of times when we have to be in the area.
1999 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Diesel
2005 Desert Fox 28KS
BrakeSmart
1992 Roadtrek Dodge Versatile
'...traveled the same road as many..."

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
linnemj wrote:
Plenty of sites in the open but many are unlevel. Pretty location.

Now, it's been a long time since we were there, but that was my experience as well. Very clean, quiet. Nice people running the place.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there several years ago. As you probably found out there is not many campgrounds in the area allowing the KOA to charge a premium price for an average campground. I suggest calling the campground for best routing since there one way (from W. Chester I think) there is a low clearance bridge. Plenty of sites in the open but many are unlevel. Pretty location.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there last year and enjoyed it. It's in a beautiful area kind of convenient to Philly. The cg was clean. We stayed in a wooded site (I think 67) and was glad we requested a wooded site. Some of the others were extremely small. A class B was put on a tent site near us and it was literally jus parallel parked right on the side of the road. The sites by the river were kind of wet looking, but we'd never get our trailer down there anyway.