cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning a trip tp PA

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Going to PA want to see Amish country and Gettysbury. What is the best central CG to stay at? What are must things and places to see?
Thanks for any help, this will be one of the longest trip we have taken with a camper.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"
14 REPLIES 14

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
nypatnva wrote:
search "Gifford Pinchot State Park", Almost midway between the two places.

We take our grand kids to Gifford Pinchot. There is a nice sandy beach for swimming in the summer time. Nice bathrooms and showers. Some really nice sites also. Our grand kits really enjoy this state park.

Ray

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I like Beacon Hill Campground in Intercourse. Next to Amish farm complete with cows ๐Ÿ™‚ Lots of places nearby to explore.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied. Hope to see you in PA.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Our CG of choice in Gettysburg in Gettysburg CG. The KOA is nice, too. We no longer stay at Drummer Boy and were treated very rudely at Granite Hill.

As for stuff to do in Gettysburg, that depends on a few factors. Are there kids in your family? How much are you in to history? It would be easy to spend 2-3 days in Gettysburg and only get a sampling. Definitely do a tour (live guided or CD guided) and plan to visit the attractions in town (Jennie Wade House, Shriver House, and others). Lots of places to eat from basic diner food to fine dining. Our perennial favorite is Gen. Pickett's Buffet, right on the edge of town on Steinwehr Ave. Good food & lots of it at a fair price. If you leave hungry it's your own fault.

Amish Country - the only CG we've used was the Jellystone in Quarryville, but our kids were quite young at the time. It is a nice CG but apt to be expensive. There will be many places to tour or visit that will explain/demonstrate the Amish way of life. Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse (yes, that's its name....) is neat - a couple of hours will do it. If you like coffee be sure to visit The Roasted Rooster. Shady Maple - DEFINITE yes, just be aware they are NOT open on Sundays. After visiting the Shady Maple you'll not need to eat again for another 36 hours. Fridays & Saturdays the farmers market in downtown Lancaster is worth a visit. Also consider the Strasburg Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum nearby.

Hope this helps. Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
search "Gifford Pinchot State Park", Almost midway between the two places.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at a number around Lancaster due to family in the area, going to try Beacon Hill Camping in Intercourse this year. Looking for quiet but close to town. Not a resort, ie: not much for kids.

Stayed at Cedar Lake outside Gettsburg, it was pretty decent. Only has a few transient sites, almost all seasonal. Very nice quiet area.

I would avoid Ben Franklin in York.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We usually start off with a woodalls.com search and narrow it from there with TripAdvisor and Allstays.com
Here are the results from Woodalls for Gettysburg
http://www.woodalls.com/Campground/Default.aspx?city=gettysburg&zip=&state=PA&country=USA&name=&good...
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you enjoy hiking & waterfalls, visit Ricketts Glen State Park. My favorite state park - 22 waterfalls along 7 miles worth of trails (there are 26 miles of trails in the park). Dry camping, but restrooms with showers.

Some photos: Ricketts Glen Visits

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch Itch wrote:

Must see's imho
Kitchen Kettle Village
Shady maple smorgasbord and shops

If you have a campground in mind, let me know, i will give you the scoop on it, we have stayed at most and seen them over the last 10 years

YES!!!!!!! You must, no... NEED to go to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord!!!!!!!!!! Me and my wife drive an hour to lancaster 4-5 times a year just to eat here. Food for as far as the eye can see!!!!
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

Hitch_Itch
Explorer
Explorer
We live about 1 1/2 hours north of Lancaster, Pa.
We visit there twice a year.
We enjoy staying outside Lancaster.
Two campgrounds we highly recommend, 20-30 minute ride to Lancaster
Lake in Wood Resort
Spring Gulch Resort

If you like staying in the middle of the action this place is next to Dutch wonderland amusement park, not a lot of amenities, but you are right in the middle of everything
Old Millstream CG

Lake in Wood is a true resort style experience, with so much to do, onsite restaurants, ponds, playgrounds, fenced in dog parks etc 30 minute ride to Lancaster

Spring Gulch has huge private sites, great pool, onsite spa, not much else. 20 minute ride to Lancaster

Old Millstream cg has its own entrance to Dutchwonderland amusment park, yet it is very peacefull, level sites but no pool or amenities other then a playground, instant access to everything lancaster, 1 mile from 2 shopping outlets, withing 5-10 minutes to all other attractions, food galore

Must see's imho
Kitchen Kettle Village
Shady maple smorgasbord and shops

If you have a campground in mind, let me know, i will give you the scoop on it, we have stayed at most and seen them over the last 10 years
Hitch

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I live right across the river from Lancaster. We have stayed at Old Mill Stream CG with friends. It is right beside Dutch Wonderland, so if you have young kids... Even w/o kids it is a very nice CG, and it's far enough back off the road, that I didn't notice traffic noise when we were there. There are a lot of Outlets in that area.

Gettysburg will probably be an hour or hour and a half from Lancaster.
I'd stay at one area, see what you want to see, and then move to a CG in the other area.

Gettysburg has a lot of historical things to see. I much prefer G'burg over Lancaster. Lancaster has a lot of Amish attractions. There is Dutch Wonderland -- Hershey Park is nearby. Strasburg Railroad is good to see. Shady Maple Smorgasbord is supposed to be a fabulous place to eat.

York has the Harley Davidson Museum, and they do factory tours. There is an Industrial Museum in York.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Chester county about 30 miles outside of Philadelphia and only 2 miles from Valley Forge National park. I have never stayed at any of the parks in the Amish communities or Gettysburg. However, most of the Amish, as well as the Mennonites, live in Lancaster county. I think you will enjoy your visit to Lancaster county.

Ray

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks but done that. Hoping to hear from someone that has been there and done that trip.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
First, search for Gettysburg on this Forum in the RV Parks section to find a place to stay.
Then do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the State, town, area, or other in the blank space and read what the experts state about their attractions.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)