cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fixed my brakes

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
had really crappy brakes and have not been able to get it in for warranty. Wasn't sure if it was truck or trailer until I towed my son's trailer last month and all was good.

Pulled break away and wheels seemed to lock OK so figured it was somewhere from truck to trailer. Pulled the j box cover under the tongue and poked around, found the wire connector going the the brakes:

this is all that was captured in the crimp, 6 strands:

I wonder why I only read 3.5 volts at the magnet!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX
15 REPLIES 15

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Heat shrink tubing is my best friend
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
No crimps for me if I can get to it. Twist good Solder and heat shrink tubing liquid tape tape and make sure wires are not just hanging loose.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
They also make crimps that are different sizes on each side. ie Blue on one side and yellow on the other.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
hooked up to move it last night and brakes seem to work fine. Will pull it out for the weekend tomorrow and adjust the gain but already sleeping better.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Use a piece of scrap wire (or the fourth wire)and do the same for the remaining wires.
Much easier to just strip twice as much insulation from the last wire and then bend it in half to make it work.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Do a good 3 wire splice/tap is not easy to do. Here is my method, which is also what I do for a 4 wire splice/tap.
  • Start with butt splice that is one size LARGER than is required
  • Strip all wires
  • Twist together 2 from different circuits (in the picture above, the back and on blue)
  • Insert and crimp this into one end of the butt splice
  • Use a piece of scrap wire (or the fourth wire)and do the same for the remaining wires. Trim the scrap off and close to the splice as possible.
  • Heat shrink (either a separate piece or use shrinkable insulated butt splices) are a MUST !

I soldered and used shrink wrap, nothing better. Might redo all the connections next, very suspicious now.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Do a good 3 wire splice/tap is not easy to do. Here is my method, which is also what I do for a 4 wire splice/tap.
  • Start with butt splice that is one size LARGER than is required
  • Strip all wires
  • Twist together 2 from different circuits (in the picture above, the back and on blue)
  • Insert and crimp this into one end of the butt splice
  • Use a piece of scrap wire (or the fourth wire)and do the same for the remaining wires. Trim the scrap off and close to the splice as possible.
  • Heat shrink (either a separate piece or use shrinkable insulated butt splices) are a MUST !

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a DC clamp-on ammeter... check each wheel is getting about three amps when the controller is applied manually.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Now you need to go to each wheel and check wire connections for brake Magnets.

Need to check ALL THE CONNECTIONS!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Need to check ALL THE CONNECTIONS!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a brake magnet that didn't have the wire stripped and was crimped on the insulation. This sure is quality stuff being produced.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use these for that application:

https://www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=multiple%20sealed%20wire%20connector&psType=E

Perfectly waterproof sealed for all weather conditions.

Those crimp caps are for inside work.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job finding this problem. Its funny all you can find when you get looking.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k