cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED dome light upgrade won't stay in place

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer

I purchase a large quantity of 24 LED panel (SMD 5050) over eBay to upgrade all dome/wall/cabinet/exterior lights of my trailer to LED (cool white). I order them from eBay and they are AWESOME. Light is powerful a LOT and no more yellowish light inside the trailer! The price is kinda incredible too... 20$ for 15X units.

I only have one issue so far and I want your advice... those LED panel came with a double-sided adhesive on back of the panel to mount inside dome light. But after a few hours of use and because those SMD 5050 panel became a little warm (not hot, just a little warm), the cheap double-sided adhesive felt appart and LED panel won't stay in place anymore.

Any suggestion? I'm pretty sure many other people experience this issue here... do you use a industrial adhesive maybe or silicone glue maybe? Or maybe there's some kind of true heavy-duty double-sided adhesive?

Even with this minor issue I do recommend this upgrade to everyone, light is awesome and low power drain too!!

Thank you!!
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
35 REPLIES 35

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Goop, still in place after five years.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that sanding the contact area helps.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

gmc6000
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all the bulbs in my toy hauler with these same LED's. After installing with the tape, I put a dab of silicone on all 4 corners to hold in place. The bulbs have not moved.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie MegaCab 6.7 Aisin 4:10
2013 KZ Inferno 3710T

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
X3 - cleaned reflectors with alcohol before installing. Pressed firmly (but not hard enough to crack LED circuit board). 3 years now and counting. Temp extremes from 20 below to 120 above.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

Mountainman42
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
I cleaned the area really well with alcohol before I mounted mine and I haven't had one let go, yet. If they do, I'll put them back up with some silicon sealant.

Eric

X2. Cleaned with alcohol first and haven't had one let go in the year since I installed them.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned the area really well with alcohol before I mounted mine and I haven't had one let go, yet. If they do, I'll put them back up with some silicon sealant.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I zip-tied mine as preemptive maintenance when I installed them. Once the lens is on you can't see the zip tie.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for 3M tape, none of our flatpanel LEDs have come loose over their three years of usage and they have endured 100+ temps and sub-zero weather.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into the same issue. The zip tie is a good suggestion as is the 3m molding adhesive. I went with a dollop (for the culinary minded) of silicone? We will see if it fails. Should be easy to peal off if needed.

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a couple of my LED panels let go too. I reattached them with 3M auto molding adhesive tape and no problems since (1 1/2 years ago). Available at Walmart in 1/2" width or any auto store in various sizes.

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
dtappy3353 wrote:
when ordering do you have to identify which type of light socket adaptor you need or do they send all three types which show in the sales pic?

Yes I do specify which one, because if you take only the needed adapter it's sell for a cheaper price and you will throw the other to garbage, so what's the point...

FYI, in my Sportsmen all lights inside/outside are #1156 (aka BA15S) bulb size/type. In the bathroom I had a single bulb dome light for the entire bathroom so I installed a large 48-LED panel (5050 SMD) and it's perfect for the bathroom. But this panel was soooooo bright I decided to install smaller 24-LED panels everywhere else and that's perfect! The small 24-LED actually produce 3X time more visible light than conventional halogen. I also install another large 48-LED panel into the outside patio light (w/ amber lens). Moreover the 48-LED panel are very expensive (5.50$ each) when the 24-LED panel are less than 2$ each. But honestly the 48-LED 5050 SMD are just too much it you have a few in a small surface.

BTW shopping for LED dome panel are not that simple! I read A LOT about the LEDs before buying mine. Because there's a LOT of different LED technologies used to build those automotive bulbs. That's why some are cheap and some other are more expensive. The LED model stand for it actual dimension. The brighter LED you can get are the SMD 5050 (the 5050 stand for 5x5 millimetres). The 5050 SMD are the brighter LED available because they also are the biggest SMD yet. Only cons is the 5050 are making more heat, but they are still making like 10X LESS heat than halogen... You can't burn yourself on the LED panel, but it's pretty warm to touch.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
when ordering do you have to identify which type of light socket adaptor you need or do they send all three types which show in the sales pic?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They've been selling that way for years. You'd think they'd have fixed them by now.
I pulled the tape off and used some better 3M stuff that my work had thrown out to hold it on.

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Industrial stretch velcro sound a good idea to me since I use them elsewhere and it's extremely strong!! The velcro function is not required in this case (no need to be removable), but the velcro are more padded and it will conform to the shape more easily than thin double-sided tape.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Such a simple question. We have had all of our lights changed to "LED's" more then 5 years ago, and not one has even come lose, no matter how hot it gets.

I didn't even bother with the OEM Sticky Back Tape on them. Instead I used "Industrail Strenth Black Velcro". Even all of our Cargo Compartments have "LED Lights" in them also. Not one has ever failed yet, and probably won't either, as so far they all have lasted 5 years, and are showing no signs of letting lose at all.

And we have always done mostly all BoonDocking on some very rought roads. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & our two small "YORKIE KID'S who love to travel as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71