cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Call the weight police, can't believe what I'm looking at!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try not to get involved in "weight police" issues, but I've got to comment on what I'm looking at. I've had a couple of big fivers a 31' and 33'. So, I'm not a newbie.

We came back into the campground this afternoon and there is a five slide 38' Montana Big Sky in a nearby site. I've always liked that unit. It has an attached trailer with a beautiful Harley trike. Wife commented that it was being pulled by a 2500. I said, "Are you sure?"

I went back to take a second look. Sure enough it was a Chevy 2500. No way that guy can be within towing limits. Anybody got an idea of what kind of weight that guy is towing and his pin weight?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
103 REPLIES 103

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
dballentine wrote:
Montana 3750FL
Ship Weight 12597
Cargo 3173
Pin 2270

There's also a 3850FL, which is slightly larger.

ship weight and pin weight based on ship weight is useless...I would say GVW is 12,597 + cargo of 3173 which gives the unit a GVW of 15,734#, which "could" put pin weight closer to 3,000#......though they may not load to that...it gives one a better idea of what they "could" be towing.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Scott W wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
richfaa wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
Why does everyone even care what anyone else is towing or what they're towing it with?

Good point.
Its all in the OPs topic "call to the weight police".

IMO troll threads like this one should be deleted before it gets started. They serve zero purpose.

Anyone have a dead horse pic

Because it may kill me and my family.

Lots of things may kill you and your family.

It is my belief that if you are truly concerned about the actions of others killing you or your family on the road, and you (you in general terms - anyone reading thus) wish to exert energy towards that fear... Then you focus on something that has a much greater likelihood of happening.

You are much more likely to encounter danger from:

Teenage drivers
Drunk drivers
Distracted drivers (cell talkers, texters, READERS, etc)

Focusing energy on a 2500/250 driver pulling a large-ish 5th wheel is wasted energy that could be spent on something else. Seems almost like an irrational fear.

Amen

The subject here is RV's NOT teenage drivers, drunk drivers or distracted drivers. I am sure there are plenty of web sites for those.

I can't change the minds of the ones than think they can tow anything with a 250/2500 with a comb box, bags, and 19.5's. They will have to figure it out the hard way with an eye opening situation.

I post my opinion based on experience and hope someone that is new to this or someone with an open mind may think about buying the PROPER TV for the job.

Once in a while there is someone that admits they were towing with a unsafe combo and wish they would have listened to others and bought the right TV in the first place and saved a lot of stress and money.

All JMHO

You sound pretty passionate about it.

Pretty much!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Scott W wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
richfaa wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
Why does everyone even care what anyone else is towing or what they're towing it with?

Good point.

IMO troll threads like this one should be deleted before it gets started. They serve zero purpose.

It is my belief that if you are truly concerned about the actions of others killing you or your family on the road, and you (you in general terms - anyone reading thus) wish to exert energy towards that fear... Then you focus on something that has a much greater likelihood of happening.

Teenage drivers
Drunk drivers

Focusing energy on a 2500/250 driver pulling a large-ish 5th wheel is wasted energy that could be spent on something else. Seems almost like an irrational fear.

Amen

The subject here is RV's NOT teenage drivers, drunk drivers or distracted drivers. I am sure there are plenty of web sites for those.

I can't change the minds of the ones than think they can tow anything with a 250/2500 with a comb box, bags, and 19.5's. They will have to figure it out the hard way with an eye opening situation.

I post my opinion based on experience and hope someone that is new to this or someone with an open mind may think about buying the PROPER TV for the job.

Once in a while there is someone that admits they were towing with a unsafe combo and wish they would have listened to others and bought the right TV in the first place and saved a lot of stress and money.

All JMHO

You sound pretty passionate about it.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scott W wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
richfaa wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:

Good point.

Teenage drivers
Drunk drivers

Amen

All JMHO
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Scott_W
Explorer
Explorer
SolidAxleDurango wrote:
richfaa wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
SolidAxleDurango wrote:

Good point.

Teenage drivers
Drunk drivers

Amen

tgreening
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
tgreening wrote:
My unit weighs 16,500# ready to roll. Pin weight is verified 4,300#. I pull this with an F450. A guy rolled into a campground where I was staying pulling the twin to my unit with an F250 CC.

He had no idea the weight of the camper, no idea the pin weight, no idea the GVWR of his truck, nothing. When I filled him in his buddy laughed and said it was no wonder the first stop they had to make after picking up the camper was a garage to have air bags installed on the truck, because it was running on the bump stops. And I kid you not, his next comment was that it pulled "Jussst Fine" down from Canada. :R

I just gotta know... Do you ever confuse "Beasty" with "Bossy"? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

My continued existence would lend credence to my assertion that so far, I have in fact not confused the two.

Anyone who thinks those meek demure Japanese women you see on tv reflect real life, have obviously never been married to a born and raised Japanese female. There's claws and fangs hiding behind the makeup and silk. (Please don't tell her I said that)

๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I'm familiar with laws governing brakes- not asking about that, just the ability of oem pickup brakes to stop the weight of a trailer (if, for example, the trailer brakes failed).

There seems to be some disagreement about that point.

Totally depends on the situation. Were I to lose my trailer brakes on I-17, say heading down into Camp Verde from Phoenix, I'd probably end up in the gravel trap. Would likely also need to change my pants. Were I on I-17 heading through Phoenix, no problem to stop and pull over; it'd just take a bit longer. In an emergency, I might be hosed; would depend on if I remember to actually steer when the ABS kicks in; if not, I'm looking sideways while my trailer's looking foward. Wouldn't matter if it were my 3/4 D'max pulling my FW or my dad's 1/2 ton pulling his boat.

Lyle

I would believe in a non panic situation My Pacbrake would keep my speed under control, and depending on need could keep down shifting to really slow. I typicality don't touch the service brakes at all on down grade, just may drop from 5th to 4th.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I'm familiar with laws governing brakes- not asking about that, just the ability of oem pickup brakes to stop the weight of a trailer (if, for example, the trailer brakes failed).

There seems to be some disagreement about that point.

Totally depends on the situation. Were I to lose my trailer brakes on I-17, say heading down into Camp Verde from Phoenix, I'd probably end up in the gravel trap. Would likely also need to change my pants. Were I on I-17 heading through Phoenix, no problem to stop and pull over; it'd just take a bit longer. In an emergency, I might be hosed; would depend on if I remember to actually steer when the ABS kicks in; if not, I'm looking sideways while my trailer's looking foward. Wouldn't matter if it were my 3/4 D'max pulling my FW or my dad's 1/2 ton pulling his boat.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
How was it determined that the Op is a troll
What are the determining guidelines for "troll" and who make the call???
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
This troll thread is still going? Really beating a dead horse, aren't we? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just sayin'...
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes are a function of the vehicle GAWRs so stopping a vehicle at its GVWR shouldn't be a issue unless the truck is old and the service brakes are tired.

NHTSA says this about components of the GAWR:
"Gross Axle Weight Rating is the rated load-carrying capacity of an individual axle and wheel assembly. (It represents the load that may be steadily sustained by the components in the system; i.e., tires, rims, hubs, bearing, axles, brakes, suspension, sub frame, etc. with the GAWR limited by the components with the lowest working rating".

The vehicle mfg designs and tests their own brake system and then once the vehicle is ready they then present the vehicle to NHTSA for the minimum brake testing per the FMVSS ..... or so a Dodge chassis engineer says when the new '03 3rd gen trucks hit the first auto shows in '03.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't understand the fixation of the GCVWR. Brakes on Vehicles, ANY vehicle are only designed to stop the GVWR. NOT the GCVWR. that's what the trailer brakes are for.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Jettech109 wrote:
If you pay attention the OP said it is a Chevy 2500. My 2011 2500 Duramax has GCWR of 24500 and published max trailer weight of 16500. So without exact weight of trailer hard to say he is wrong.

Rare activity here on this forum ๐Ÿ˜ž

Jettech109
Explorer
Explorer
If you pay attention the OP said it is a Chevy 2500. My 2011 2500 Duramax has GCWR of 24500 and published max trailer weight of 16500. So without exact weight of trailer hard to say he is wrong.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
esfd243 wrote:
My 2012 Chevy D/A would yank that around without issue.

And how would it do in a panic stop situation??..:@

The answer is exactly the same regardless of which 2500/250/3500/350 truck the driver may have. The correct answer is, "It depends."