cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast do you tow?

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
Today while driving home from work a truck towing about a 36 foot fifth wheel blew by me. I was already going 75 so I sped up and followed him for about three miles. I was pacing him at between 87-93 depending on him slowing down for cars of which he basically pushed out of the way.

Obviously that was excessive but even at a fast speed what is considered ok and
what would you have done if this guy blew by you on the freeway
125 REPLIES 125

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
This post ran off topic long ago.

I agree and 13 pages is enough. Thread closed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
This post ran off topic long ago.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The topic "HOW FAST DO YOU DRIVE" seems to have disintegrated to personal aspirations on the psychological level of intelligence or lack thereof!!! I am confused as to how this series of posts resolves the issue or benefits fellow RVers?????

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
GPG52! wrote:
When towing 6+ ton RV I hold it at 60-65 mph. With all the treads about inferior tires and having experienced one blow out myself I see no need to roll the dice. Besides, what is the hurry, to save minutes??? Not worth the risk to myself, my family or anyone else on the road.

X2!
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
When towing 6+ ton RV I hold it at 60-65 mph. With all the treads about inferior tires and having experienced one blow out myself I see no need to roll the dice. Besides, what is the hurry, to save minutes??? Not worth the risk to myself, my family or anyone else on the road.
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread here. 65 is the max I tow...I just dont see any reason to have 27,000lbs going down the road at 70 or 75mph. Not much difference in time of arrival and allows me to enjoy the view a bit more
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:
In Texas pulling a 5er that fast could land him a big ticket.

Texas Law states

"The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."

Texas unified their speed limits a long time ago, doing away with day/night and car/truck differences. The "Cars 70 Day/65 Night - Trucks 60 Day/55 Night" signs are long gone.

If you want to review the TxDOT document, you can start HERE.

TxDOT wrote:

Maximum Speed Limit

The law sets the maximum at 70 mph, but allows the Texas Transportation Commission to establish a maximum speed limit of 75 mph (80 mph or 85 mph if the highway is designed to accommodate that speed) on the highway system if that speed is determined to be safe and reasonable after a traffic or engineering study. A maximum speed limit of 80 mph within 10 counties on Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 is also permitted.

Here's the current text of TTC (Texas Transportation Code) Section 545.352:

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;

(2) except as provided by Subdivision (4), 70 miles per hour on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;

(3) except as provided by Subdivision (4), 60 miles per hour on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;

(4) outside an urban district:

(A) 60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road; or

(B) 50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:

(i) has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or

(ii) is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state;

(5) on a beach, 15 miles per hour; or

(6) on a county road adjacent to a public beach, 15 miles per hour, if declared by the commissioners court of the county.

(c) The speed limits for a bus or other vehicle engaged in the business of transporting passengers for compensation or hire, for a commercial vehicle used as a highway post office vehicle for highway post office service in the transportation of United States mail, for a light truck, and for a school activity bus are the same as required for a passenger car at the same time and location.

(d) In this section:

(1) "Interstate highway" means a segment of the national system of interstate and defense highways that is:

(A) located in this state;

(B) officially designated by the Texas Transportation Commission; and

(C) approved under Title 23, United States Code.

(2) "Light truck" means a truck with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of not more than 2,000 pounds, including a pick-up truck, panel delivery truck, and carry-all truck.

(3) "Urban district" means the territory adjacent to and including a highway, if the territory is improved with structures that are used for business, industry, or dwelling houses and are located at intervals of less than 100 feet for a distance of at least one-quarter mile on either side of the highway.

(e) An entity that establishes or alters a speed limit under this subchapter shall establish the same speed limit for daytime and nighttime.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.110(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1020, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2, eff. June 18, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1346, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Amended by:

Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 265 (H.B. 1353), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.

Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 265 (H.B. 1353), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2011.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
In Texas pulling a 5er that fast could land him a big ticket.

Texas Law states

"The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Mile High wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
Some folks understand reaction times and physics. Others don't want to know.

Oh I think we all understand it and we pick what we are comfortable with regarding risk. The only absolute in safe is to travel at 0, which is where some of the paranoids should probably stay.

That's what I think also, driving 5 mph under the limit to save gas, why not just stay home and save more, why even buy an rv?

There is risk to everything but that doesn't justify anything. The OP's post wasn't about driving 5 mph over the speed limit, it was about some moron doing 90 towing a 36ft 5th wheel. I could care less about idiot bikers because they are the ones most likely to get scraped up off the pavement. Aside from 18 wheelers, we RV'ers are the ones with the most potential to do damage an the least ability to avoid it.

People seen to think it is OK to tow the same way they drive with their other vehicles even though it will take at 4 times as much distance to stop and they have no hope of making an abrupt evasive maneuver. That's just selfish wilful ignorance.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brockinfla wrote:
It's a miracle any of you enjoy any **** thing as much as you worry about what others are doing or think.

You guys could create an Internet black hole Hawking couldn't explain. Just start a single thread on towing speed, best fifth wheel hitch, to rear cap or not rear cap, LT or ST China bomb tires, or picking your nose after dumping a black tank without nitril gloves.

Lol
You caught on fast for a newby.:B There are folks here that will tell you everything you do is if its not what they do. Sad but funny to read sometimes.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Oh I think we all understand it and we pick what we are comfortable with regarding risk. The only absolute in safe is to travel at 0, which is where some of the paranoids should probably stay.

That's what I think also, driving 5 mph under the limit to save gas, why not just stay home and save more, why even buy an rv?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

I don't think you understand it at all, you just choose to ignore it. Physics doesn't care about your comfort zone, it just is. Unfortunately the guy you hit because you couldn't stop or avoid doesn't get a say in the matter.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Brockinfla wrote:
It's a miracle any of you enjoy any **** thing as much as you worry about what others are doing or think.

You guys could create an Internet black hole Hawking couldn't explain. Just start a single thread on towing speed, best fifth wheel hitch, to rear cap or not rear cap, LT or ST China bomb tires, or picking your nose after dumping a black tank without nitril gloves.

Lol

X2
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.