cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LT tires

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer
A question for you folks who have, or are going to, switch to LT tires on your fiver. Are there certain characteristics that make one tire more desirable than another or will any LT tire be fine? My fiver maxes out at 12,000 lbs. loaded so I don't need load range G tires. For that matter, does it even make sense to make that change and instead go with a top of the line trailer tire instead?
49 REPLIES 49

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Just put a set of Maaxis tires on with a TPMS system and go...unless your one of those who thinks they have to be passing everyone while your towing your RV then you better get LT tires.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
I had a chance to compare one of the E-rated ST tires that came off my trailer to the R250 before it was mounted and the difference in weight, sidewall thickness and overall structure were night/day. Will never run an ST tire again on a big trailer.

But our illustrious gov't says that ST tires are soooooo great for RV's cuz they have a higher weight rating. Plus if I recall right, TL did a article on ST vs LT tires and said ST's are great too. My snowmobile trailer has ST's but I will not put any ST's on the RV. When we do upgrade the RV, LT's will be going on like you did.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I had a chance to compare one of the E-rated ST tires that came off my trailer to the R250 before it was mounted and the difference in weight, sidewall thickness and overall structure were night/day. Will never run an ST tire again on a big trailer.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Endricken wrote:
I would NOT use BFG Commercial T/A tires. 2 Failed on me and one was recalled.
Its a much physically LIGHTER tire than the Michelin XPS RIB or even slightly Heavier Bridgstone Duravis (am running both of them currently w/o failures in over a year and over 5K miles).

BFG has issues with the Commercial T/A the last few years however those have been discontinued in favor of the new redesigned Commercial T/A 2 tire.
Its odd the BFG Commercial T/A tires have been a excellent tires for over 20 years on our trucks and trailers.....then they started having issues.

These tires are right in line weight wise with other fabric carcass tires LT tires the same size.
The XPS and R250 have a steel casing which make one heavy tough tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, on the other hand, have 3 1/2 years and 17,000 miles on my BFGs (245/75R16 LR E) without a single problem running 13,200# on the trailer loaded.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Endricken wrote:
Its a much physically LIGHTER tire than the Michelin XPS RIB or even slightly Heavier Bridgstone Duravis (am running both of them currently w/o failures in over a year and over 5K miles).

Same issue with Goodrich trailer tires. Most throw the entire cap. Relative told me yesterday that he lost 2 of his BFG Commerical T/A's on his last trip. Mine and his were 225/75 16.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Installed Cooper Discoverer HT3's last year. No problems with them at 70 mph, grossing 12,800 on trailer (rated for 13,800) and temps in the 80's to 90's. Keep 'em covered at the house when not in use.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
ST tires without a speed rating on the tire are going to become a thing of the past. Imported ST after the mid to late 2015 have to have a speed rating and most of them are at least "L" rated (75MPH) and few have are rated "G" (100MPH) The speed rating is the results of a new importing rule....
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
A question for you folks who have, or are going to, switch to LT tires on your fiver. Are there certain characteristics that make one tire more desirable than another or will any LT tire be fine?

It better to use a specific line of LT tires that the mfg has recommended.
Example is Michelin recommends the XPS Rib for trailer use.
Cooper recommends their HT 3 LT line for trailer service.
BFG says their Commercial T/A2.
Firestone Transforce HT.
Goodyear Wrangler HT.
Bridgestone Duravis R-250.

These tires have at least one solid rib. Some have two and others may have all solid ribs. Solid ribs helps the tire run a straight track/more lateral stability.

My fiver maxes out at 12,000 lbs. loaded so I don't need load range G tires. For that matter, does it even make sense to make that change and instead go with a top of the line trailer tire instead?

Trailer tire ?? LT and ST and P tires come on trailers. I assume you mean ST tires.
I can triple the miles and double the years in service with a LT tire. It all depends on miles of service per year.
If you make a few short trips a year the ST has worked for some.
However if your running 18k-25k miles a year then the LT would make better cents/sense.

Your trailer weighs 12000 lbs ??
If that is on the axles then the LT E at 3042 lbs won't have any reserve capacity. They will be at max load.
Now if you mean 12k minus 2000+ lb pin weight equals 10k lbs then the LT E will work great.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
For what it is worth Michelin owns BFG and Bridgestone and all 3 have LT tires. I am running Michelin XPS ribs. You will find them to be a physically heavy tire.

As posted in the Goodyear tire thread with documenting links, Michelin owns BFGoodrich tires and Bridgestone owns Firestone.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
the main thing to look at for LT tires besides the load rating and being able to fit the tires within the wheel well of the RV is the tread pattern - you want as much as possible to have a RIB pattern for lower rolling resistance.

Plenty of good choices out there - the top two are the Michelin XPS Rib and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 but also look at the Toyo H/T, BFG Commercial T/A AS, Cooper Discoverer H/T, Firestone TransForce H/T, Bridgestone Duravis R500 and Michelin LTX M/S2 as possible choices depending on what you can buy locally for a good price.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
The STs I just replaced were rated to 75.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Overwhelming majority of STs are 65mph.

I also have a 12klb GVWR 5er and just made the jump to LTs (Bridgestone Duravis R250). Figured if I was spending the money and wanted the reassurance of running an LT to go with one of the best rated. Not all LTs are the same as they fall into different classes based in construction and tread pattern. Couldnt be happier with the R250s. Not cheap though...

Just be aware a lot of the big box tire stores will not install LTs on a trailer.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
ST tires are or were speed rated to 65MPH. LT tires are speed rated to 99 MPH. ST tires are not tested to the same standards as LT tires. ST tires have a short life span. ST tires have a long history of premature failures especially on heavy trailers. Muff said!

Not true for all ST tires. My Carlisle RH's are rated to 80-something, IIRC. Definitely > 65, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member