cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 5th wheeler

starvus
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are about to take the plunge and purchase a 5th wheel for our retirement to ourselves. Any input as to which manufactures/models are a waste of money as to which ones are a great buy; would be greatly appreciated. Obviously the salesman want me to purchase the ones they sell or the used ones on the lot. Have RV'ed in the past with Class "A" & "C's". But we are totally confused as to manufactures/models, there seem to be so many. We know we want the bedroom up front and the living in the rear, 34-40 feet. We definitely don't want t cheap model that 's going to break down in each state. Any help?
13 REPLIES 13

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't hitchhiker by Nuway still in business?
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Mobile Suite, Carriage, Hitchhiker, any of the Canadian manufacturers - (Citation,/Corsair, Okanagan, Travelaire, Triple E) or Excell are some middle of the road trailers worth considering. I think of what I mentioned only Excell and Mobile Suite are still in business. are you planning on purchasing new?

You are correct, only Excel & Mobile suite are still in business. None of those Canadian manufacturers are. Never thought of looking in Canada, are there any good ones?

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
starvus wrote:
My wife and I are about to take the plunge and purchase a 5th wheel for our retirement to ourselves. Any input as to which manufactures/models are a waste of money as to which ones are a great buy; would be greatly appreciated. Obviously the salesman want me to purchase the ones they sell or the used ones on the lot. Have RV'ed in the past with Class "A" & "C's". But we are totally confused as to manufactures/models, there seem to be so many. We know we want the bedroom up front and the living in the rear, 34-40 feet. We definitely don't want t cheap model that 's going to break down in each state. Any help?

Several have answered the OP, who posted on the 15th and hasn't been back since. It would be nice to know what vehicle they are going to use to tow with so that better information could be given to them as to what weight trailer they should be looking at. I would think THAT, as someone else posted, would be very pertinent information to know when giving information on what 5er to purchase. Some of these full timer rigs can be very heavy..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
Floor plans are important but if you are going to be on the road a lot I would concentrate on the structural components. Our last fiver was a good mid-price rig and we liked, but did have some frame problems. This go around I picked a company that made the frames in house and are well built, my wife picked the floor plan and decoration she wanted and we have been please with our present trailer.

Our roads put lots of stress on RV's.

Do take a look at the Lifestyle; they are a well-built rig.

X2 Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should go ahead and start looking for a good, 2 or 3 year old, used F-350/3500 diesel truck. (unless, of course, you already have one.) Anything less will limit your choices severely in the size range you are talking about. High quality is never light.

PS..Has anyone seen anything from the OP recently?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fairhaven
Explorer
Explorer
We shopped and compared for months. Read everything we could find. Went to several rv shows. Talked to many owners at many rv parks. We ended up buying a Palomino Columbus 365RL. The floorplan is what you stated you are looking for. It is 39'7" in length and 100" wide. Four slides. Delivered dry weight was 12186 (weighed at factory). We feel it is the best kept secret out there. Thousands less than a Montana (best selling fifth wheel for about 15 years running) and more amenities. And, it has the biggest shower I have ever seen in a fifth wheel. Buy what you want but do check out the Columbus line. You will be impressed.
2014 Palomino Columbus 365RL,2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box, Aisin Transmission
Myself(Bob) Retired (25 Years USAF)
Tami(Wife/Retired 25 Years USAF)
Ashley-13(Daughter)
Nick-10(Our rotty)

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mobile Suite, Carriage, Hitchhiker, any of the Canadian manufacturers - (Citation,/Corsair, Okanagan, Travelaire, Triple E) or Excell are some middle of the road trailers worth considering. I think of what I mentioned only Excell and Mobile Suite are still in business. are you planning on purchasing new?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with Traveler II on good structural componants since you will be on the road a lot. Go for one rated for full time living like ours. We purchased a Heartland Bighorn in 2010 and it's sound, sturdy, and loaded with ammenities. We purchased one of their shortest models for versatility and glad that we did. It's just right for the two of us and recently took our son, daughter-in-law, and two granddaughters camping and we all slept in it comfortably. Well, at least for my son who slept on the floor on cushions but he said that was still better than a tent!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plans are important but if you are going to be on the road a lot I would concentrate on the structural components. Our last fiver was a good mid-price rig and we liked, but did have some frame problems. This go around I picked a company that made the frames in house and are well built, my wife picked the floor plan and decoration she wanted and we have been please with our present trailer.

Our roads put lots of stress on RV's.

Do take a look at the Lifestyle; they are a well-built rig.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
A) All of them are a waste of money

B) None of them are a good buy

C) Don't sell the house

now that you have it in perspective, - have fun shopping for that new camper!
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a list of the Rv manufacturers. Check them out for floor plans you like. Rv Manufactures Good luck in your search.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budget? Between 60 and 80K Cardinal Cedar Creek for starters. What are you going to tow with?

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Are you considering new... used? Vacation, snowbird, or full time? Are you buying a tow vehicle also or do you currently own one? Budget?
RVn Full-time