cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sliding Hitch or not

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be an assumption that getting a short bed TV automatically means you'll need a slider. I bought that argument on my first TV. I subsequently found that I almost never used the sliding feature. When I transferred the hitch to my next TV, also a short bed, the slider went on Craigslist, and I've never missed it.

I try to plan my maneuvering ahead, and find that I haven't needed to have my truck jackknifed around to where a slider is needed. Has anyone else had this experience!
37 REPLIES 37

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long-bed dually, so I don't need a slider for the usual reason (protect truck window in tight turns), but I have a manual slider anyhow, AND a Sidewinder replacement pinbox on the camper.

Why?

Now backing maneuvers are essentially the same as backing a tag trailer. SO much easier!
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I traded my 04 Chevy K2500 in for a '13 Ford F350. Using the same FW and hitch (a slider), I never had to use it except one time (see story below). When I installed the hitch in the F350, there was less clearance. On the Chevy, I could put the tailgate down with no problem. On the Ford, the hitch is farther forward and I can't put the tailgate down. When I tried to back the FW into it's parking place at home, I noticed the front of the FW getting way too close to the cab of the truck. So I moved the slider back and everything was perfect. I'm glad I have it now. But it proves the point that there are so many variables, that you really can't make an informed decision without having the basic measurements to see if there is a problem.

Now for the other story: My dad couldn't drive anymore, and asked me to sell his FW for him. It was not designed for a short bed in any way, shape or form. A prospective buyer showed up and had cash in hand. But he said "I'll only buy it if you can drop it off for me tonight". I know it's not real safe, but his house was only three blocks away. So I move the slider to the maneuver position, hooked up, and drove very slowly and carefully to his house. And Dad was thrilled with the 50 $100 bills I handed him.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
Hamops wrote:
Allworth wrote:
Even when not needed, moving the hitch to the rear (yes, on a long bed) improves the response to turning inputs when backing. It is a matter of leverage and pivot points.

Exactly! With the pivot point behind the rear axle, I back our 5vr more easily.

I'll "third" this. I move it back even if I am not in a tight spot. Huge difference in backing.

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
I use my manual slider almost every time I park in the storage lot. I also have two recent dents in my cab, received outside the lot, reminding me why I should have bought an auto slider or long bed. Obviously I'm not learning to "plan ahead" appropriately.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:

Never used my slider in 10 years.
Took it out and bought a 5AB Sidewinder.
Expensive solution but worth it.

That doesn't make sense. If you never used your slider, what was the problem that the expensive solution solved?

To not be worrying every time I backed up, and I wanted an "air hitch".

It has been well worth the money.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Aida
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite is great we love ours, however ido not make a tight turn if the terrain is a bowl shape meaning the truck or the 5th is lower than the other meaning turning is impossible without the 5th bumped its chin on the bed of the truck like our cul de sac the only way to fix the problem is to back in at the beginning of the street which is more level we turn around and drive backwards up the street into the driveway.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You managed to find an expensive solution to a non-problem?????
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
One reason to have a slider. Preferably an automatic slider. Last week we traveled from South Central PA to western NY. About 20 miles from our destination we came upon a bridge signed for 12'6". Blind corner up the hill that we just came around and a blind corner down the hill under the low bridge. With the pullrite I was able to quickly back the trailer into a small gravel area beside the road and do a 180 and head back up the hill. With no slider it would have been much more difficult and taken longer. With a manual slider I would have been out in traffic trying to get the hitch slid back so I could maneuver. We don't always choose the messes we get into. But it is nice to have the proper equipment when you get into those messes.

And if people lack anything while in traffic, its patience.

wfreeth
Explorer
Explorer
I need to make a fairly sharp U-turn every time I'm putting the trailer back into my spot at the storage lot. With my Pullrite it's just one easy move without stopping to slide back a manual slider. I have an older 5th wheel that does not have one of these newer sculpted noses.
2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Laramie 4X4 Hemi
2004 Four Winds Classic 28BH-M5
Pullrite Superglide 2700/Firestone Ride-Rites

Drive a Hybrid, I need your gas!

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I use my slider everytime we camp. There are times when I probably do not need to use it but I slide it back anyway. It is so easy to do, why not? I think of it as it's just one less thing I to have to watch out for.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
One reason to have a slider. Preferably an automatic slider. Last week we traveled from South Central PA to western NY. About 20 miles from our destination we came upon a bridge signed for 12'6". Blind corner up the hill that we just came around and a blind corner down the hill under the low bridge. With the pullrite I was able to quickly back the trailer into a small gravel area beside the road and do a 180 and head back up the hill. With no slider it would have been much more difficult and taken longer. With a manual slider I would have been out in traffic trying to get the hitch slid back so I could maneuver. We don't always choose the messes we get into. But it is nice to have the proper equipment when you get into those messes.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

sele
Explorer
Explorer
I use it every single time figure all it takes is one oops and dang I should have used it, especially at home kinda tight
scott

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
Never used my slider in 10 years.
Took it out and bought a 5AB Sidewinder.
Expensive solution but worth it.
That doesn't make sense. If you never used your slider, what was the problem that the expensive solution solved?
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

dieseldan723
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree that it's better to HAVE it and NOT need it rather than to not have it and need it. I got myself into a tight spot once following my GPS and had an incredibly difficult time turning around and needed EVERY inch of my slider.

I'm not here to argue over whether or not you need a slider - I do. Questions is do I need an automatic slider like the Pullrite? I had one with my first truck and it was great, problem is that you CAN NOT back into the trailer unless you are nearly straight on. There have been times when I needed to back into the trailer at a greater angle than the Pullrite allows.

What I want to know is how much more difficult is having the manual slider and can you get one that allows a clean bed when the hitch is removed (like the Pullrite allows)?
Currently looking for my next RV....

SOLD
2014 Keystone Fuzion 301 towed by 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic CCSB 4X4
2012 Komfort 3530FBH towed by 08 Chevy 3500HD DRW
2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH towed by 03 GMC 2500HD

Prodigy 3 brake controller