Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature in the garage

pharmafrog
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Getting ready to make the change to a TH from a regular 5'er. Wife is very concerned with the temperature regulation in the garage when used for living quarters. Our 5'er sucks for temp in the back room.

We are looking at Heartland, so that may be a stepping off point. Probably going to go with the 3rd ac so cool won't be a problem. But what about warmth in the winter, if used for skiing. Is there insulation for the floor in the garage? How does the non insulated back door affect the temp as well. Thanks in advance.
2010 Keystone Laredo 326LT
2008 Ford F250 King Ranch SB
Onan Marquis Gold 5500
13 REPLIES 13

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to experience lacking cold air in the garage. It seems to cover that one well on its own. But I am wanting to keep it warmer in the garage for sleeping and general extra space enjoyment. To accomplish this my to-do list consists of trying to fit some solid insulation panels under the garage area and get a piece of shag carpeting to fit in there. Then I would like to install another Wave 6 in the garage as well because I like the option of heat when boondocking. It all just comes down to money.....

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
IOWASTROKER wrote:
IF you really are going to Winter camp, throw the belly plastic away and truly insulate the entire TH. I posted full details on the post entitled "insulate my TH". 1000watt infrared $50 heater will keep garage very warm...and cheaply...IF you are plugged in. On YOUR gen set: that is another issue:))))) I still have an issue with my Dometic digital thermostat in myCyclone 3950. Temp variance is huge before furnace re=ignites. Keep us posted.

Where is your post? i have searched and searched and could not find it.
Interested.

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
We run a 1500 watt heater in the garage. The factory (fusion) carpet kit helps a lot - meaning the floor has near zero insulation. Leaving the door to the main room with a fan on the floor helps even out the temps in the trailer. The garage is still noticeably cooler then the living room 3 feet away. The other issue is all the heat is near the ceiling, and we use the lower bunk for the kids by night and the garage as a playroom by day.

Rig up a ceiling fan and point it up not down...take a box fan and lay it flat 1' from the ceiling blowing up. This forces the warm air down the walls and to the floor. Much better in the winter. If you have a ceiling fan in there already you are ahead of the game.
Always reverse your ceiling fans for winter use...that is what the switch is for...

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
We run a 1500 watt heater in the garage. The factory (fusion) carpet kit helps a lot - meaning the floor has near zero insulation. Leaving the door to the main room with a fan on the floor helps even out the temps in the trailer. The garage is still noticeably cooler then the living room 3 feet away. The other issue is all the heat is near the ceiling, and we use the lower bunk for the kids by night and the garage as a playroom by day.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

IOWASTROKER
Explorer
Explorer
IF you really are going to Winter camp, throw the belly plastic away and truly insulate the entire TH. I posted full details on the post entitled "insulate my TH". 1000watt infrared $50 heater will keep garage very warm...and cheaply...IF you are plugged in. On YOUR gen set: that is another issue:))))) I still have an issue with my Dometic digital thermostat in myCyclone 3950. Temp variance is huge before furnace re=ignites. Keep us posted.

soonernation
Explorer
Explorer
We have had nights in the low 30's on our trip so far. We have used a space heater in the garage and it has been perfect.

One thing that seems to help as well is to put carpet down so the cold doesn't transmit right to your feet.
2013 Voltage 3200 Epic Full Paint
2014 Ford F350 DRW
2013 Yamaha Zuma 125
www.facebook.com/VoltageToyHauler

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
pharmafrog wrote:
All,

Getting ready to make the change to a TH from a regular 5'er. Wife is very concerned with the temperature regulation in the garage when used for living quarters. Our 5'er sucks for temp in the back room.

We are looking at Heartland, so that may be a stepping off point. Probably going to go with the 3rd ac so cool won't be a problem. But what about warmth in the winter, if used for skiing. Is there insulation for the floor in the garage? How does the non insulated back door affect the temp as well. Thanks in advance.

This was (still is) a huge issue after purchasing our Cyclone 3800. With an ambient air temp of 30 degrees, I was getting 115 degree heat at the vent in the living room and 40 degree air in the garage. I was told by the factory that this was within "tolerance" Perhaps if you were hanging meat in the garage but not for sleeping. Also, Heartland claims something like an R21 for the garage floor. There is no insulation in the garage floor and 1" plywood does not equate to an R21 rating. Suffice to say you will need to provide supplemental heat in the garage.

Good luck
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco Talon heats the garage nicely. There is only one heat vent into it, but it is right off the furnace, so it gets plenty of flow.
Beginning of this month we went on a hunting trip, lows in the 20s and highs in the 50s. Used the furnace to get it up to temp and then a radiant heater to keep it there. Only the first night before we had everything set right did the furnace kick on, and that was just in the front bedroom area.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Heat the garage has sucked in both of my Fuzion TH's. Using an additional heater is the best option. Pretty ease if your plugged in, a little more challenging if you boondocking. We have a Buddy heater that we use in that situation. I have also put dampers in my registers so I can push the heat to the garage.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We use a small ceramic heater in the garage as ours has no vents. The small heater keeps it plenty warm.

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
My furnace is about 2ft from the garage. Used the knockout on that side and ran a vent line into the garage,also put a deflector on the line so I can heat it up faster than the rest of the TH.The floor is not insulated so I put a shag carpet down before we make it a play/bed room for the grand kids.
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

sptrucksbyed
Explorer
Explorer
We have Raptor 4014 and the garage is hard to keep warm so we have a little electric heater we us if we want to keep that part warm. I think if the heater thermostat was closer to the garage it would stay warmer. the thermostat is in the front part of the living area so it reads the heat up there and turns off before the garage ever gets warm.
2012 Ford F-350 DRW CC 4x4
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2 Yamaha Raptors
2 Yamaha Banshees
2011 RZRS
2011 RZR XP900

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
With one AC in the garage and one in the bedroom all centrally ducted together, I have no problem keeping any part of the Fuzion as cold as I want to in 100 degree ambient temps. In my opinion, heating the garage area is where the toy haulers are lacking. Our garage AC unit has the heat strip in it which works fine in 50 deg weather, but isn't a huge help when it is freezing out. The furnace only has one duct to the garage which doesn't receive much flow because all the other ducts are closer to the source and bleed off all the pressure. If I block the bathroom vent, I can heat the garage satisfactorily. Our last trip out in late October we saw night temps in the low 30s. We had a small electric heater in the garage and were able to maintain 70+ with little effort throughout the trailer.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog