cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tough Bugs, what do you use??

Bowhunter61
Explorer
Explorer
Took a trip out to Montana couple weeks ago, needless to say when I got back the front of the 5'er was covered in bugs. Worse than the trip I took to yellowstone 3 years ago.

The front cap had a coat of wax on but these things will not come off even scrubbing with a brush. Used some turtle wax Bug & Tar reomver but that didn't really even put a dent in them.

So the question is what do you all use to clean these things off?
Looking for all good suggestions

Thanks
2015 RAM 3500 SRW
SOLD05 Dodge RAM 3500 DRW 5.9L Cummins
2010 35' Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
2009 HD Ultra Glide Classic
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300
18 REPLIES 18

mec500
Explorer
Explorer
I wet the are over and over until the bugs soften up and just wipe them off, most other time I will wash the trailer early in the morning and the dew has softened the bug part and they just wipe off

roadracer
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of more things for dryer sheets, if you store your RV outside throw some sheets around inside the RV , keeps away some of the critters, such as mice, they don't like them. If you hate the smell of Deet in bug replents, rub a dryer sheet on your arms, etc, mosquitoes don't like the dryer sheet smell, you'll smell better and not feel quite so greasy. Have a great day.
06 F350 4x4 Amarillo Pkg PSD,Juice W/Attitude, Air Bags
Cold Air Intake, Corsa Exhaust
2" Fabtech Kit W/Shocks
Superglide 5r Hitch W/ Super Rail Kit
K-Z 38bx2 Triple Slide With Mor/ryde Pin box

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Frankandbeans wrote:
I haven't used anything that works better than the used dryer sheets, as previously mentioned.

Ditto
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used anything that works better than the used dryer sheets, as previously mentioned.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
For the worst of the worst, a soft rag with a few drops of fingernail polish remover does wonders. Of course any wax comes off with it and needs to be re-applied.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT use Dawn dishwashing soap... It will remove any wax(assuming you wax your front cap) First you want a good coat of wax on the front cap as it will make removing easier. I have had good success with using wash sponges that have a mesh material on the backside. You can pickup at any auto part store. Takes the bugs off with 1-2 swipes.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Dryer sheets, I keep them in my Jeep and motorhome. They are dirt cheap and work better then anything else out there.

X2
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bowhunter61
Explorer
Explorer
THanks everyone

Dryer sheets it is, gave that a try last night and worked great
2015 RAM 3500 SRW
SOLD05 Dodge RAM 3500 DRW 5.9L Cummins
2010 35' Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
2009 HD Ultra Glide Classic
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
I use Wash/Wax All and bugs seem to come off easily, BUT I try to clean the nose every couple of days when traveling.

There was a product I used to use on my motorcycles, but I cannot recall the name. It was from the auto parts stores. It's a spray bug remover that is enzyme based. Not expensive but you'd have to look. The key was the enzyme part literally melted the dried bugs. I'd spray it on, wait a few minutes, then wipe off with a damp sponge and hardly any pressure. I looked online and could not find the same brand, but saw several enzyme based bug remover sprays that look similar.
its 'bug off '. it works

Y-Guy
Dryer sheets, I keep them in my Jeep and motorhome. They are dirt cheap and work better then anything else out there.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I use Wash/Wax All and bugs seem to come off easily, BUT I try to clean the nose every couple of days when traveling.

There was a product I used to use on my motorcycles, but I cannot recall the name. It was from the auto parts stores. It's a spray bug remover that is enzyme based. Not expensive but you'd have to look. The key was the enzyme part literally melted the dried bugs. I'd spray it on, wait a few minutes, then wipe off with a damp sponge and hardly any pressure. I looked online and could not find the same brand, but saw several enzyme based bug remover sprays that look similar.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get and keep the area wet with some soapy water. I use a plastic scrub sponge on my motor home.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Magic erasers, dawn, water & lots of elbow grease.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Damp dryer sheets.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.