cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida domicile

g_demorest
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to hear from anyone who has set up domicile in Florida . Would like to set up domicile in Florida and wondering how easy it was for you. We will use escapes club to do this . Has there been any issues with the state that you sold your house in like taxes etc. we have time , we hope to full time in two to three years, just trying research this now so we do it right.
14 REPLIES 14

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not joined Escapees, then I suggest that you do so. Then talk to the Escapees folks - they are great. I believe they have a mail service set up in Florida now so they should be able to guide you on the process.

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Whether its FL, SD or TX, the process is the same and 1000's do it every year with no issues. Its the same process as if you sold the NY home & bought a new home in Fl.
When your prior state is one of the most aggressive tax states, like Ca & NY, you just have to be careful not to try to shortcut the process or shortcut your final NY tax bill. The few who get into tax trouble usually tried to say they "moved" out of state before they actually did. or they try to say they moved to FL but continue spending 6 months a year living in NY. or they buy a new RV while still living in NY and try to play games avoiding the NY sales tax.
As long as you pay NY taxes until the day you physically move out of NY, you should have no issues. No matter what you setup in FL,SD,TX, your domicile doesn't change until you leave your old state and stay out of that state for most of the year.

g demorest wrote:
Would like to hear from anyone who has set up domicile in Florida . Would like to set up domicile in Florida and wondering how easy it was for you. We will use escapes club to do this . Has there been any issues with the state that you sold your house in like taxes etc. we have time , we hope to full time in two to three years, just trying research this now so we do it right.
Jim

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
edbehnke wrote:
if you plan on traveling and not relocate in florida, you might want to look at another state, SD. advantage is that you have cheaper sales tax should you want to buy rig/trade in, auto insurance cheaper, no emission testing and of course no income tax.

If you're under 65 & have to buy health insurance, SD is not the place.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy. Buy a house in Florida. lizzie

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
No income tax in FL, but I think (?) that FL has some type of yearly tax on stocks and mutual funds over a ??? amount.

No. The intangible personal property tax (stocks, etc.) was eliminated almost 10 years ago.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
OP: There is discussion of using Escapees on the Escapees forum.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime and are Fla Residents. We owned a home in SW Fla. for a number of years before selling and going fulltime. We use Good Sam mail forwarding in Crestview for the last year and a half no issues. The folks at the courthouse in Okaloosa Co. where you would go to register are pleasant and very accustom to fulltimers. You will need to have docs showing you are moving to Fla. Check with web page or call the tax collector in the county. That is where we take care of these matters. Insurance cost depend on what part of Fla. you domicile in. Actually our Ins. cost went down when we moved from SW Fla Okaloosa Co. The address you get is you legal address and can be used for any need just like if you live in an home. Benefits of Fla. 1. no state income tax. 2. 6% sales tax on veh. purchases. 3. No special license needed to drive your RV or truck/trailer combo. 4. If you are 65 or 100% disabled our State Park campgrounds are half price and they are nice. We are currently spending 6 months in different state campgrounds and it is costing us less then 3K for the winter. 5. You do not have to spend anytime in Fla. to keep domicile. I think SD you need to spend one night and have receipt 6. No veh or emission checks.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
No income tax in FL, but I think (?) that FL has some type of yearly tax on stocks and mutual funds over a ??? amount.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a home in Florida, so we have a physical address. No problem transferring anything. The vehicle registration was higher. Our insurance is less then Progressive. Now with insurance through Good Sam. But we went from a full timer ins. to a part time ins. Each person is different, and like I said we had absolutely no problem. You just have to do the research on your own.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We made Florida our domicile state when we went fulltime. The order we did it in:
1. Got a viable address/mail service. We used Good Sam in Crestview. Escapee's works as well - check insurance rates (car and health) as they vary by county.
2. Once the address was official, we changed our bank account, finance accounts, and credit card addresses to match. It took about three weeks total as we had to wait for a bank statement for proof of address.
3. We titled and registered our car/MH. This was simple for us as we bought new (in Maryland) and had the dealers do it using our new address. Bought insurance on-line during purchase (Progressive.com). Took two weeks (by mail) to receive our permanent plates. Maryland and Florida sales tax were the same so we eliminated transferring issues. Auto insurance prices were also comparable (a little less in FL).
4. Drove to Florida, got our licenses and registered to vote. Took 1/2 an hour. No questions asked.

We 'moved' to Florida in September so we paid income taxes to Maryland for 9 months and nothing to Florida. We did get a deduction for sales tax paid for our RV and car.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget the 'additional' $400 to $500 bucks they want to register each vehicle you bring in from out of state. And my insurance doubled. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't "set up" domicile but we full time and use Florida as our home base.
1. Get an address that is a physical address (not a PO Box) and that has a PMB - Personal Mail Box number (like an apartment number). We used www.myrvmail.com for awhile. They are located in Crestview Florida and on their website is a list of Florida Facts that will help. Once you get the address, file a Declaration of Domicile form at the County Clerk of the Circuit Court where your Florida address is located. The forms are usually online. You need the Declaration of Domicile if you will establish Florida as residency and still have your home in the other state. If you wait until you "move" you don't need this form. You will have to file state taxes in your previous state. Florida has no state income tax. Next steps once you get the address from your mail forwarding service. (they should be able to assist you with what you need to do to establish residency). Change your address on a credit card. Here's the website for Florida Driver's Licenses with a list of what documents you will need: http://www.gathergoget.com/ Per the list you will need: Birth Certificate, Social Security Card and 2 other forms of ID such as: credit card bill and voter registration card. Once you get the Driver's License you can get the auto tags and then call your vehicle insurance company. Come on down!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
if you plan on traveling and not relocate in florida, you might want to look at another state, SD. advantage is that you have cheaper sales tax should you want to buy rig/trade in, auto insurance cheaper, no emission testing and of course no income tax. http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/.....talk to terri.

every 5 years you have to get a renewal drivers license.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
We set up an account with American Home Base. This gave us mail forwarding and a permanent address.

Moving from Calif and had just sold the house. No issues with taxes etc. And we do not have state income tax. Vehicle registration is a fraction of Calif. Insurance is as high though.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008