cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to be having problems with my rear view camera. When driving it will sometimes start to get distorted, then go dark. It will stay this way for a time then come back on as if nothing is wrong. When I use it at night it is so dark you can barely see the tail lights reflecting. It is a Weldex 3 camera system and the side cameras seem to work just fine. Is it the camera or the monitor that's messing up?
It's on a 2006 HR Vacationer. Any help would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks stillthinking, took monitor out and found sheet metal was like yours. Hope this takes care of it, I will find out soon. I also cleaned all connections on monitor and took off camera and cleaned connections there.

Thanks for all that replied.

stillthinking99
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 B&W weldex acted the same way. I took it out to replace with a new one and found the factory support sheet metal was blocking all the CRT monitor vent holes. It would over heat until it quit. If you have an LCD then disregard.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of times we had those issues. Factory unplugged camera and cleaned contacts and added dielectric compound and it is fine. It's only black and white, color coming next time.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
PeoriaKen wrote:
Thanks for the answers, been out of town and just got back. I will start with the back of monitor and check the connectors and see if that helps. If not I'll go from there.

PeoriaKen,
I too have had the same exact problems. It has nothing to do with radio towers or flying saucers etc. I've had it happen in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around for miles and miles. It's also happened in cities and county areas. It can be any number of issues with these things. My system is the Sony system and they are not in the RV camera business anymore so, if and when mine goes out completely, I'll have to spring for a complete setup, camera, cable and monitor.

As far as a good source of help, RV cams.com have been mentioned and, I just had a few email communications with Tim and he was great in explaining what's happening in those systems. Like yours, at times, mine gets so distorted, wavy lines, darkening, then, completely black. Sometimes, I "whack" the dash and vuallla, I get a good picture again. Well, realizing that I may have a bad connection in the back of the monitor, I removed the top of the dash and removed and replaced those connections, several times. No real help.

I'm thinking if it is the monitor, it's "inside" the thing. I've fiddled with the cables etc. while viewing the pic and sometimes I get better a better picture and sometimes I don't. I did remove the camera on the rear and a few feet of cable which, revealed the connection. I untapped it and noticed some corroded pins in the DIN connector. Well, there's no real way to clean them except some painstakingly scraping with a tiny home made sharp bent piece of wire.

It may have helped some but, between what's going on at the back of the monitor and, that connection, it's really hard to tell. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers, been out of town and just got back. I will start with the back of monitor and check the connectors and see if that helps. If not I'll go from there.

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
What is happening is that you are getting interference from microwave towers. Look around when it happens ansdI bet you will see one. When your out of range it clears up, not much you can do, some are more sensitive that others to this than others.

farmer_boots
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar problem with two cameras. I replace one and that fixed the problem. Performed some forensic investigations on the bad camera and found out the camera was fine the wires in the connector had broken. Later my backup camera started doing the same thing so I remove the camera and found I could affect the picture by manipulating the wires around the connector nearest the camera. The connectors are not serviceable so I removed the connector and spliced the wires together. Has worked fine for years now.
2006 Monaco Diplomat

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad ground connection in either the monitor and/or camera...check both..the monitor connection may be loose..the camera connection corroded...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
popeye766 wrote:
I have a panosonic and its blurry as heck.....I can only tell that my toad is still there....

Have you tried cleaning the camera lens? Seriously. Even when mine doesn't look all that dirty, cleaning it makes a huge difference.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
popeye766 wrote:
I have a panosonic and its blurry as heck.....I can only tell that my toad is still there....

That sounds like an out of focus problem. I assume you are aware that some cameras have an adjustable lens.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
If all else fails, get in touch with rvcams.com. They help me with my problem.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
check for loose connections in the rear of the monitor. Have had this
problem twice--rough roads, I guess. Have been able to fix it myself.

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problem with my rear view camera and the camera needed to be replaced! The camera was a Sony! I made a mistake and took it to a RV Shop (newer RV Shop in Bremerton, WA.) and they did not know what they were doing and made things worse. I would have been better off going to CW for that repair.