cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corner Bed Help?

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2014 Sunseeker 2300. we really like the mh but this is the first corner bed we have had. What suggestions do you have on making it up. Just put sheets on it and it wore me out
36 REPLIES 36

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the queen corner bed also. (Sunseeker 2450). I put a mattress cover on and work my way to outer corner, then follow with the fitted sheet. I then put my duvet cover on (you could use comforter, quilt, etc). I don't use a top sheet at all. Once you get the fitted sheet on that part is done until you have to launder it. We actually sleep on top of the duvet cover and just cover with throws or other quilts, etc. Then in the morning you just fold up the covers and place at head or foot of bed and it looks neat again. I, too, am 62 with a bad knee and a really bad back but once you get the fitted sheet on (which takes a max of 5 minutes), you're done for the week.

Also getting the memory foam and just making it is another excellent idea.

I really don't mind the corner bed and I have plenty of room to get out at foot of bed without disturbing my husband.

S10sler
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the corner bed and HATE it because !0 the mattress is lousy...we sink into the middle and have to "lift" ourselves out to turn over...thinking it's the memory foam? It's the "upgraded Serta" that came with our 2011 Sunseeker. Researching new mattresses as I write.
The other reason is the climbing over as you all mentioned. But, the bed making, I mastered!
First, you remove the mattress and staple fabric tabs all up and down the sides of the platform that you will be using later to tie the bedding on. I put 5 on each side and 4 at the head.
Next, Cover the mattress with a fitted sheet with elastic that runs from side to side to keep it in place. You only remove it once or twice a year to launder because you don't sleep on it...it's for "show"
Next,I created a sleep sack: I took a flat queen sheet, ( I used off white), lay it flat on the ground, place a nice double (I used a stipe) on top, leaving about7" of the flat queen all around. I believe I had to trim the double sheet to be small enough. Pin it all around and sew it on top of the queen. You sew the bottom and up each side but only go up about half way. ( so you can get in and out comfortably. Now sew tabs all around the queen sheet, to match up with the tabs you stapled to the platform. (that takes some measuring and was the toughest part of the whole job..lol) Now you lay it on the bed, tie the tabs together (bows are easier to untie for washing than knots.) pushing/pulling the sheet down snug around the mattress and you're ready to sleep. I'm not very good at directions and measuring for your particular RV may be different...I was really winging it when I made this but it works! Holds things in place which was my pet peeve. the top sheet lays a little better and keeps you "tucked in" with no bunching! If you want pictures or have questions, feel free to email me at claudiavanhook@gmail.com

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I understand and I am pretty nibble but it is a wrestling match....and hubby has to make his bed up in the "loft" over cab. I like room to sleep and move around without clobbering him.

I use sheets and try not to change them too often:E

I start with the far corner and go from there. I tuck everything in well and with just one person it doesn't get messed up much. Just flop the quilts back and consider it "made". Hey I am on vacation...actually I don't make my bed our bed at home either as it is upstairs and don't see it again until bed time.

Sleeping bags are too much of a pain for me. Your next rv will be a walk around!

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Travasak, or trade, I'd never touch a corner bed.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

concord_05
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Think I'll try RvBill's suggestion first and go from there.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Our first TT had a corner bed and my DW swore at it whenever she had to make the bed. Worse when she changed the sheets. Our solution was to move to an RV with a walk around Queen.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We have a corner bed in our Prisim. We use a foam topper, plus a cover from sleep by number that helps to keep it cool. That is covered with a form fitting sheet, the top sheet and cover are then put on. It is an extra step to keep it neat, you spread the sheet and cover so the near side is taken care of, then you must tilt the mattress to get the far side taken care of! But it only takes a couple of minuets. The mid-night bathroom brake is a different story, for the one on the far side, you need to be nimble to climb over your partner, and with 3 dogs, and a cat sharing the bed...well you get the picture! Lol

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just throw a foam topper on our rear corner bed. The foam topper is inside a removal (zipper all around three of the four sides) cover that can easily be removed for washing. The corner bed's mattress is covered by a nice color-coordinated bedspread furnished by Winnebago that we have never had to wash or change over the years. Making up only the foam topper couldn't be easier - just a sheet and blanket thrown over it when not in use.

By the way, a rear corner bed is the only way to get a nearly full-sized queen bed that is permanently available at floor level in a 24 foot non-slide Class C motorhome. We use both the rear corner queen sized bed and the overhead cab queen sized bed - both are comfortable. The overhead cab bed is the most difficult to make up of the two.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Sunseeker 2300. I am in charge of making the bed. While it is not as easy as a walkaround bed, it is not that bad. Start with the fitted bottom sheet. "Crawl" up to the head of the bed and attach the sheet on each side. Back up and bring the sheet with you until you are off the end of the bed and attach the bottom corners. Take the flat top sheet and crawl up to the head again. Spread it across from side to side, even with the head of the bed. Again back up, bringing the sheet with you to the foot of the bed and tuck in. If using a blanket, do the same. If covering with fitted bedspread that came with it, start at foot and place arouind each end. Throw the spread toward the head. Climb on the bed and smooth it forward and side-to-side until you reach head.

It's not really that hard. I'm in my early 60s with "bad" knees, but crawling on the bed is not a problem.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

chinrv
Explorer
Explorer
One solution is to replace your mattress with a foam mattress. Go to a place that sells them and have the foam unit cut SMALLER than your present one - at least two or three inches in width and length. That gives you the ability to bend the mattress up and back when putting on the bottom fitted sheet, and to just crawl over a bit to push down into the extra space the sides and top of the top sheet and whatever cover you're using. Plus, you can choose the density of the foam for your personal comfort.

gwol
Explorer
Explorer
Is there enought room to take out the queen bed and install two small, custom made twin beds?
1995 Carriage Callist Cove.
My Dinghy

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
Don't try to make the bed with the mattress pressed against the walls. Pull the mattress back about a foot from both walls, and that way you can reach to the full mattress.

How is that possible in the corner bed? On our double at the back of TT there is no room to pull it away from the walls. There is possibly 2" to spare on sides except for the small angled side.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Don't try to make the bed with the mattress pressed against the walls. Pull the mattress back about a foot from both walls, and that way you can reach to the full mattress.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your desire to have a nice looking bed. If you just throw a sleeping bag on the mattress then you have the sides of the mattress showing. Not very nice looking.

Our solution....A nice fitted cover for the corner mattress that is color coordinated to the upholstery in the Motorhome. It was challenging to install but looks very nice. Then we purchased special bedding. Its queens sized and like two sleeping bags zipped together but has sheets that Velcro inside. One side is light weight (Summer side) and the other side is heavier (Winter side). The bedding is a different color but it also coordinates with the interior upholstery. We then have some pillow shams that match the upholstery. It all looks very nice and is quite easy to make up. Takes two or three minutes to make up the bed.

We remove the sheets as needed during the camping season for laundry and we have the covers dry cleaned once every season or every two depending on how much they are used.

So far it works for us and we have perfected the art of "get out of bed over your partner in the middle of the night" ;-).

Hope you can find a solution that is less burdensome and makes your travels more enjoyable.

Capt_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
So much for roughing it!