cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From a big B to a small C......observations

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I finally did it. We have had three Bs over the years including a Horizon (little brother of the Falcon), a 1996 190 Dodge RT Popular, a 2007 Chevy 210 RT Popular. Like many on this forum, we think and wonder if something a wee bit bigger might be more appropriate for us. Finally, I pounced. I found a 2013 Phoenix Cruiser for sale by an individual and it was three miles from our home. 7400 miles and fully loaded including wood floors, sound system, full body paint, etc.

Now that I am retired, we intend/hope to spend more time boondocking and thought a little more room would be very nice. The PC has a slide, a dry bath, a bed, a recliner and an articulated couch which makes a bed and also can serve as two recliners. We bought this unit a few months ago and, so far, have been able to take only one trip in it. Here are a few comparison observations for those of you that have been tempted.

1. Our Roadtrek fits in a garage at our home and the garage has HVAC. The Cruiser is winterized and in storage until probably late March. Advantage: Roadtrek!

2. The dry bath in the Cruiser is a blessing! Advantage: Cruiser

3. Storage: the winner hands down is Roadtrek. Exterior storage is much greater on the RT, particularly with our configuration of twin beds. That is a big area under those beds when accessed from the rear doors. Inside, since we have an armoire, the RT simply has more useable storage for our stuff. No question about it. In terms of square feet of storage, they probably are similar but usage wise, Roadtrek is superior IMO.

4. Ease of driving: The Cruiser is a truck. A 350 Ford truck. It drives very, very well and is comfortable and easy to drive. The RT is a van and is much easier to drive into parking lots and tight spaces. Going down the road there is no difference.

5. Sleeping: a dedicated bed sure is nice. The luxury of having a bed in the back and REAL seats up front is advantage Cruiser, no question.

6. Cost of operation: Cruiser uses about 50% more gas than the RT.

7. Kitchen space: advantage cruiser..maybe. Storage for pots and pans is better on the RT. Big sink on the Cruiser is great.

8. Quality of construction: Roadtrek wins. Now, I must say this is comparing a 2007 RT and a new Cruiser. I have looked at new RTs and don't feel their quality is as good as our 2007 as far as finish is concerned. Maybe just my prejudice being a woodworker. Where RT uses grommets, Cruiser drills a hole. Still, the Cruiser is considered a kind of upper grade C (they call them B+ but I know better than to use that term here and incur the wrath of correction, I am just reporting what they call them. Yes, I have corrected them to no avail on their forum, so the wars continue).

Size wise, the RT is about a foot shorter, 13 inches lower and 5 inches more narrow. Tank wise, clear advantage Cruiser (important to us boondocking). Fresh water about the same. I think the LP is actually slightly larger on the RT as I recall.

Which do we overall prefer? Verdict is still out. OK, I confess, I am so stupid that I now own two RVs. My wife insisted (correctly) that we not sell the RT until we were really sure about the Cruiser. We bought it under conditions that would allow us to come out OK if we sold it and our RT now has only 36000 miles and is like new since it was always stored indoors and HVAC controlled, so we have allowed ourselves until mid summer to make up our mind.

I hope these comments may be helpful to someone else in the facing the same quandary: B or small C? The jury, in our case, is still out and deadlock may be in place:)
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring
67 REPLIES 67

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great topic. When I was teaching 20+ years ago I had a VW Vanagon, and loved it. I did not have any RV during the 20 years in the Inn business. I have since retired, and before I sold the Inn, I did much research on RV's so when I made a decision, it would be one I could live with. The Class B won hands down for two main reasons. Cheaper to drive, and cheaper to park. When I had my VW, I use to park it for free in all-night businesses, parking lots, or state camp grounds. Sometimes I would park it downtown, not raise the roof, and would never be approached by anybody. A class A, class c, trailer, or truck camper is a flag not ignored by the community.

Because of my research, I came across a 2002 Roadtrek 190V, and purchased it at a very good price. Only one doubt do I have. Will my wife and I get along in such a tight space?
When I had the Vanagon, I often went alone, or with fiends. I can still do that.

Heapie

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
We had Sportsmobile build our Sprinter with a 26" high platform bed. It is approximately king size. For a table we have the swing around seats. We have great storage and a comfortable bed that is always made.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The Leisure Travel Free Spirit SS is a B. It has lots of storage and a slide-out and is same length/width as Pleasureway Plateau TS and GWvan Legend. One must define "more room". Room for storage or room to move around. We carry a 34 cu ft Gearspace hitch mounted storage unit which can be wheeled off and parked for a longer stay at a site. Our rear electric double sofa bed can also be two singles and no crowding for us anyway. We have owned a 23 ft Trail-lite and a 28 ft Winnebago Aspect. Frankly, for touring and short stays we have enough room. A Florida room which zips around awning doubles size. Realize ours is only 2006 model but if you are not camping for a month or two in one spot, I dont see the advantage of a thirstier,bigger vehicle which is harder to park and so on. Depends on one's budget and personal preferences/needs so our views are only guidelines. I use my B as a second vehicle because it is economical and more the size of a pickup. Caveat Emptor.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
If you don't have to tow a toad to travel and camp efficiently, then you have what you need. But if you have what you need but also need a toad then maybe what you have is not what you need really and should have something else. Get a C class like the Serenity or Unity--but then, you might feel you need a toad because the B is too much of a B. Oh. I feel like camping somewhere...But then again. some C owners also need a toad and some A Classers too. It is very confusing. What do we really need is the question??I suggest a Sprinter B--without attachments,maybe...??!!

There are plenty of C and B+ RVers who do not tow anything. Our 22 ft B+ has been all over in urban areas w/ few restrictions. As was mentioned, delivery trucks buzz around town all day.

Many B owners have been pleased w/ LTV's line of B+s - I think they put a lot of thought into their models. I would suggest that the PW Pursuit floorplan is merely a copy of its Excel plan, and maybe sub-optomal in its large B+ shell.

Happy Holidays
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
If you don't have to tow a toad to travel and camp efficiently, then you have what you need. But if you have what you need but also need a toad then maybe what you have is not what you need really and should have something else. Get a C class like the Serenity or Unity--but then, you might feel you need a toad because the B is too much of a B. Oh. I feel like camping somewhere...But then again. some C owners also need a toad and some A Classers too. It is very confusing. What do we really need is the question??I suggest a Sprinter B--without attachments,maybe...??!!

I guess I am the exception to the rule. Once I get to the CG and park I use my Toad for desert traveling or to haul my surf fishing gear on the sandy beach. More and more beaches are restricting vehicular traffic though.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
You are gonna keep your Roadtrek....it is obvious...you can sell the clumsy one now..no need to wait ....lol
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
If you need more room .... go outside.

Simple is better.
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer

Chirpnchicks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
A bit sideways here, but we use motels, mainly the best pet friendly ones available, whenever we feel restricted in the B.
We enjoy the change to motels at least once a week for laundry, TV, long showers etc.
Jay
Jay & Di
Summerfield, NC
RT RS Adventurous

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
We stepped up from a B to small C, LTV Serenity(had to be less than 10' tall), and there are many times when we miss the B. However we are touring less and staying places longer so the increase in space is nice although I really have to work at being comfortable with not touring! There are places we won't take the C, like the "haul road" in Alaska but are more comfortable with longer stays during Spring training in Arizona. So for us it boiled down to more space(DW liked) vrs more convenience(I liked) and it was her turn to make the decision!

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
If we did a step up it would be the Unity with the double beds in back (similar to out Horizon now) with the bath in the middle and a nice shower and have some outside storage. For me or my Wife it would be just as easy to drive and park.
We always tow our Baja behind anyway. Not sure what platform they are built on but would want a diesel.
We always want our beds made and ready for sleeping. Don't want one that folds up. I remember years ago trying to sleep on our fold out couch in a trailer. It was horrible but I guess they are made more comfortable now days.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
OKPETE wrote:
Fastpaddler wrote:
I do like a lot but the LeisureTravel Spirit SS with the Murphy bed!

Hello,
I've looked at the ltv site and they do not list the Free spirit SS with the Murphy bed option. Were you thinking of the Unity which is 24 ft plus ? Anyway,have a good day.

We already settled on the previous page that he had confused the two LTV units. The murphy bed is only on the Unity.

Yes. But I do like the Spirit SS with the electric bed and all that cupboard space and shower at the rear. And, not really much bigger than my current PW. I downsized twice so I am reluctant to go much over 22ft 9ins!!

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a nice set up mepboat. It would be nice to dash down to the keys in a B.

PSW, maybe by next summer you can justify keeping your B & C. Should you sell your RT, please remember your friends on the B forum and continue to post. Your observations are a highlight of this forum.

It's fun comtemplating the different RV's and imagining what choice I might make. Best wishes!

mepboat
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a full time 5th wheel, (37'+) to a park model and a class B 2010 Pleasureway Excel. We try to get out every 4-6 weeks and travel south Florida, mostly the keys. We are able to park our PW on the side of the park model and have elec., water and cable there. This also gives us a 2nd living space for visitors. We could not be happier with our decision. Our park model home gives us a great base to travel from here in southwest Florida. Of course we would like more room when the camp in the Pleasureway. We have never used the inside shower and prefer to use the ones at the camp sites for the reason of obvious size restriction but this trade off for us is worth the ease of driving, parking and fuel consumption. The bottom line for all of us enjoying RVing today is what matters most to you and yours. We found our place for today but you never know what tomorrow will bring.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind waiting, Winnebago is introducing the ERA 70C which has a slide-out similar to the Free Spirit SS.

Because Mercedes appeared to have approved it, it already had to pass some extreme quality checks, so it will likely be something worth looking at. It will give some more living space, as much as a "B" would offer.