cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast should one drive a "C"?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Texas, the speed limit on 130 from Austin to I-10 is 85, and around Austin on 130, it is 80. Assuming properly rated tires, how fast should one take a "C" on roads like that, in general?

I think Sprinter based chassis models top out at 75-80, while Fords go up to 95, but there is a lot of difference between what the speed governor says a vehicle can do versus what it can do safely.
59 REPLIES 59

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
My consumption went from 9 mpg to 6 mpg for that trip. For me, that was unacceptable. .

Yes, I have seen that and not in the mountains. Every year for the past 4 we have gone from Jacksonville west on I10 to Lake City and back over Thanksgiving and I did do the whole trip at 70 both ways with the toad and got the 6mpg. Normally it is 8 1/2 at 60.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Earlier I posted that my RV's sweet spot is 62. I ran a test, kind of, back in 2011. We were going to Yellowstone National Park from Tennessee and had a limited amount of time, so I drove 72 to get there faster. That is about a 16% increase in speed.

I had a 33% decrease in fuel efficiency. My consumption went from 9 mpg to 6 mpg for that trip. For me, that was unacceptable. Now, part of that may be the Rocky Mountains, since most of our other driving is on the plains or the Smokey Mountains, but part was the speed increase.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't trust tires on a typical loaded RV even if they were installed yesterday. If one blows, I'd rather be going 60 than 80. I have also had a clueless ethnic driver stop dead on the freeway ahead of me, and was just barely able to stop in time. Glad nobody piled into my rig. On I-5 in Orange County, young idiots in "rice rockets" fly by at over 100mph, changing lanes with wild abandon. I don't try to keep up with 'em in a car or an RV and so far they have not hit me.

I am irritated by "pushy" local yokels on twisty mountain roads that can't understand that RV's don't handle curves at speed like cars. I pull off and let the parade pass when it is completely safe.

All those car ads that show stunt drivers doing wild maneuvers and imply that you can be cool too, if you buy their look-alikes....

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
You know..it gives me the willies when I see an big A passing me at Mach 4...and all I can see is some little bald headed gnome squinting over the wheel, the dogs sunning on the dash.Gary Haupt

X2

I can't tell you how many times I have seen that too. One quick stop and those dogs are right thru the windshield or worse yet slammed in front of the drivers view.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I am comfortable anywhere from 55-65. She will do 70, but overheat on a really hot day. I really don't like running at that speed though. The tranny is not geared for it.

Jose

Kalegley
Explorer
Explorer
If you feel safe driving that fast, and have assured yourself that your tires are up to the task, don't mind the cost of fuel then do what you like. I will gladly pull over and let you go by. No matter what speed you drive I'm sure someone in a great big diesel pusher will pass you.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where speed limits are 75 and higher, I am more comfortable at 65-70 mph in my motorhome. Much over that speed, it might be necessary to downshift out of overdrive to get enough horsepower to move faster. That's crazy in a motorhome, although the last four cars I've had, top speed was available only in a gear lower than top gear, something useful only for a high speed overtake.

I find that when speed limits are this high, something over 70 mph, most of the traffic is not driving over the speed limit, or even at the speed limit, which is the way speed limits are supposed to work. FWIW, the 75 MPH in Oklahoma is a zero tolerance speed limit, in a state that routinely gives 5-10 mph slack over the official "no signs" 55 mph limit.

The idea that the speed limit is a minimum, and traffic should travel 5-10-15 mph over, is a mindset from cultures where speed limits have been set artificially low, on the premise that every one will exceed them. Vicious circle. But if you are coming from the East to high speed limit states, leave your ideas about tolerances at home.

Texas, I've heard the rule is "drive as fast as you can afford." Visiting Texas often, that seems familiar, but doesn't mean I speed in the motorhome. Texas and Missouri drivers thinking 75 MPH means 80-85 are a revenue source on Oklahoma turnpikes, and on some of our 70 MPH two and four lane highways.

"Happy speed" for my Class C seems to be around 60-62 mph no wind, might drop as low as 50-55 in a bad headwind (where it has to drop out of overdrive to push past 60), but then again a 15 MPH tailwind makes 70 mph an easy cruise.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
55-60

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I've been surprised that our RV sometimes gets better mileage when going faster than 60 or so. I find it difficult to drive too much slower than the speed limit and the rest of traffic unless the road is empty. So I do about 70 to even 75 on most interstates that have limits that high but I don't use cruise control because it seems to labor at those speeds. I doubt if I'd feel comfortable going 80 or 85 though even if surrounding traffic was going that or faster. So it must be somewhat of a comfort decision as well as safety.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Most rigs have a "happy speed"... you can feel it settle into a grove at the right speed for the rig. They're all different, and ours is about 58 MPH. Above that, and the RPMs go up, and the gas mileage drops.

So it's what you are comfortable (and safe) with, and weather or not the miles per gallon are important to you.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You know..it gives me the willies when I see an big A passing me at Mach 4...and all I can see is some little bald headed gnome squinting over the wheel, the dogs sunning on the dash.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be comfortable doing 85 in our 32' Class C. I've driven in the mid 70s for short distances with little to no traffic, but that's not the norm. Our toad limits us to 65 mph, so that's what I drive. Before the toad, I would drive the speed limit.

These things are not designed for sudden changes of directions and at 85 mph having to swerve even a little to miss a tire carcass, etc. would probably not be fun. In a car with properly rated tires, I'd be all over 85 mph, but not in a motorhome.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to drive 80 to 90 mph I would drive something designed to do that safely. Don't feel save driving my house at that speed.

That's just me.....

Anyone tried doing a 75 mph emergency maneuver with a top heavy class C 😉

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I drive an enjoyable speed and that varies by road conditions and traffic. I didn't retire and I didn't get into rving to speed down the road as fast as I could. I think smelling the roses and driving a little slower and more relaxed is one of the great things about a C or B. Does it take a little longer to get there? Maybe. What's thirty minutes when you are enjoying your rig?
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I like 3 second 4 second rules etc. Space around me is a luxury. Unfortunately in major urban areas there is no way to maintain this kind of spacing for long. Do what you can do..

Speaking of sports cars I had one guy cut in front, slam on the brakes, and turn into a driveway. That redistributed some cupboard contents. He was lucky not to have 11300 lbs of Lazy Daze become part of his life story.